Anonymous

This is what I plan in my car, tell me if you think anything should be changed:
Alpine CD9833 or Eclipse 8454
Diamond Audio HEX S600 (silk tweeter)
JL Audio 300/2
JL Audio 13W7 (sealed box)
JL Audio 1000/1
Audiocontrol 1/3 oct equalizer
My biggest two questions were what can convert an Eclipse's 8V preout to a balanced signal and if there were drawbacks to Eclipse's head unit having an Unbalanced signal. Also, JL's amps can only take an 8V signal, so I was wondering about that. I'd like to use a preamp if possible to control the gain and make sure I have no clipping, just don't know which one to use. Another question was to confirm that the Hex series can take what a JL 300/2 can put out.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 3195
go with the CD8454

You will actually need at least 3 Audiocontrol EQT 1/3rd octave EQs, since each one is mono. They're $329 each.

RCA cables are differential, not balanced, so that's not really going to happen.
Luckily for you, Eclipse, Audiocontrol, and JL all handle 8V line voltage.

no need for the pre-amp really with that setup, and the more components you add, the more you end up messing with the signal.

the Hex comps should be fine with the JL amp.

total current draw for that system will be around 160A. You'll need at least 2ga cable from the battery and probably want to consider a larger than stock alternator, and possibly a dedicated deep cycle battery.

Anonymous

I planned on a larger alt, forgot to mention it. So the Eclipse will be fine then, I mean the unbalanced output won't make a difference. That's great. I was thinking that Audiocontrol had a stereo 1/3 octave equalizer, I think the digital one. Also has 3 band parametric. Do you think I need 30 band eq? I don't know how flat or peaky the component system is, just wondering if the Eclipse's internal settings could do the job. I'm not competing or anything. About compatibility, the reason I was hoping it would work together was because they all handle 8V :-) ) I plan 1/0 cable just to be safe. "RCA cables are differential, not balanced, so that's not really going to happen." What's not going to happen?

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 3218
I doubt you'll tell a difference with balanced cables in a car.. honestly.

As far as the EQ, look at the EQL. it's stereo (2 channel) and 10 bands, 1 octave.
that should be plenty fine for your system, and sufficient even for tweaking most street competition systems..
30 band 1/3 octaves are for high end pro comp systems really.
the EQ is more for overcoming the problems of the car environment, more than the shortcomings of the speakers themselves.

Anonymous

Thanks. Great, I'll get that, then. I just saw some site saying the Eclipse head unit having unbalanced RCA outputs, and listed the drawbacks of an unbalanced RCA output, thought it might make more noise or something. Thanks for the EQ help, too.

Anonymous

Also, what do you think of Pioneer Premier head units, like the DEH-P960MP? Is it comparable, because I really like Pioneers ergonomics a lot better.

Anonymous

Sorry all the questions, but I saw the Pioneer Pro Mode is set to be bi-amped, can I bi-amp the HEX series or not? Also, is Eclipse's pro mode the same, bi-amping I mean?

YUPYUPYUP
Unregistered guest
The system sucks. Try Sony or Audiobahn.....hell why not Boss. That might get you there.

Anonymous

Kiss my a$$. I wouldn't take any of that if it was free.

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 3232
Eclipse pretty much has the best units out. Pioneer Premier is good too though. If you like the Pioneer better, go for it.

I've owned Premier units. They're nice, but I was never fond of the ergonomics in regards to setup and use.. I never had much attraction to the fancy OEL displays either. Too much that can fail later.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us