The 980 is better!!

Bronze Member
Username: Crossfired

Post Number: 13
Hi All, the Pioneer 980 showed up today. I installed it in place of the 860.
I was worried that all the extra junk would mess with the SQ. I happy to say it did not!
The 980 sound better than my 860! I do miss a few things about the 860, like the short throw volume(6.5 volt outs). with the 980 I've really got to use my wrist to get any high levels. I also miss the tuner presets (on the face), and no sub rev on this new one!WTF!!

I'm thinking the 880 would sound better but I'm also thinking I'd here little differece?

The sound between the 860 and this 980 are very close. I'm guessing the SQ order would look something like 880, 980 and 860. I only wish some of the folks on Ebay with 100% positive feedback were selling the 880. I could only find the 980 with the good sellers.

Gold Member
Username: Adddisorder

West palm, Florida

Post Number: 5032
what sucks about the 980 is no active processing.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
what is active processing?

Silver Member
Username: Thumpinwith8s

2 RE8s,PG Xenon 400.1, 135.5dbs!!!!

Post Number: 874
I have the 9800, and i love it, especially now that I've turned on the EQ-EX...made a world of difference, but the dang thing has SO many settings, I don't know where to set all of them at.

Gold Member

West palm, Florida

Post Number: 5035
basically so you can set up an active crossover network. i think its called pro mode or something their is a switch on the side of the 860 that you can use to change it. read in the manual for more info on it.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
Ok, Ya, thats what I thought. I never had any use for it with the 860, so I'm not missing it now. I'm really liking this 980! the SQ is superb. I also found a good use for the extra EQ bands. Since my amp has no subsonic filter, I can bring the 20hz band all the way down. by doing this I'm get way more volume from my 12 with less distortion.

Bronze Member
Username: Evoixmr

Post Number: 100
"basically so you can set up an active crossover network. i think its called pro mode or something their is a switch on the side of the 860 that you can use to change it. read in the manual for more info on it."

I think they call it the 3-way network. But you need 3 amps each dedicated: rear, front, sub to use it. Isn't the only benefit to this mode time alignment? Or does it give you better control of freq., phase, slope, ...

Silver Member

Post Number: 101
"I'm guessing the SQ order would look something like 880, 980 and 860."

Couldn't tell you the order, but I just installed an 880 couple days ago and it sounds freakin amazing

Gold Member

West palm, Florida

Post Number: 5042
yeah i guess it says 3way network and yes you will need an amp for tweets mids and sub. it gives you alot of control over tuning and stuff.

Bronze Member
Username: Sqwow

California

Post Number: 48
yes the SQ starts with 880prs, 780mp,980,860, 880 is superior and 24bit burr brown is so active

Platinum Member
Username: Chaunb3400

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 12756
^^^B/S....

Got a 980 in my Yukon, 860 in my bro's grand am, and a 780 in my gf's Tahoe...The sq diffrence is not noticable at all...only minor diff is from the 780 to the 980...

Bronze Member

Post Number: 19
Agree! after using the 860 for close to 3 years and now using the 980, I think I like the 860 better for Ease of use(two knobs are better than one!) but the 980 has slightly better SQ(IMO).

I wish I could have found the 880 at the time I bought the 980 but I'll stick with the 980 untill the 890/990? (next PRS I hope)comes out.

Silver Member
Username: Somedonniedude

Post Number: 194
What does the sub:rev do anyways? I have the just have the 3500 but idk what it does.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 20
If your sub is out of phase, It can sound very wrong. You can reverse the speaker wires to the sub(can be a pain to do)or if your HU has sub phase control, you can do it with the HU.

I just makes tuning your system that much more easy.

Silver Member

Post Number: 202
What do you mean exactly by "out of phase"? can you give an example? Do you mean like when the base hits the timing sound a little late or something?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 22
google

Silver Member

Post Number: 118
http://sound.westhost.com/ptd.htm

Silver Member

Post Number: 119
Takes a while to understand, but very useful info.

Silver Member

Post Number: 205
Thanks man. Will definetly take me a little while to understand it all.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 41
UPDATE! I had to try an 880 to see if its really any different! I tried it, It's real different, I'm keeping it! Sold the 980!

The 880 is a smoking killer SQ HU!!

Username: Protego2103

Post Number: 3
Hey guys, I'm relatively new to the forum and I've been asking around for opinions on the Pioneer 790 & 980. I've got one guy suggesting an HK add-on since he doesn't like the iPod UI on the Pioneers. My main concern is the compatibility of the HUs with my 160G iPod Classic.

I see you guys all have at least some experience with both units, so any opinions?

Btw, I really like the look of the units as opposed to the 880 (unless it comes in anything other than silver) and the built-in BT is a must.

Thanks.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us