Need sone suggestions on amps

Username: Rugboy03

Boone, North Carolina USA

Post Number: 1
Hey anyone out there who knows what they're talkin bout, cuz I don't yet. Just put Kappas around the front of my 4runner and I was wantin to fiberglass mold some Kicker Solo Baric S10L5 boxes in the back, but I can't figure out what amp to get for them. Would I be better off tryin a 2 channel amp or 2 single channel amps? Also, the specs say 450 @ 2 ohms I think and 900 peak watts. Does this mean I can push 850 watts through both speakers and be alright? I know I've blown speakers b/c I wasn't puttin enough power to them before and I don't want to deal with that expensive ordeal again. Any help would be much appreciated.

Bronze Member
Username: Cainer

Camberley, Surrey England

Post Number: 45
you want a monoblock class d amp that puts out about 900w RMS at 2ohms then wire the speakers in parallel, that way each sub gets 450w RMS which is what you said they are rated for

Bronze Member
Username: Cainer

Camberley, Surrey England

Post Number: 46
erm got that a bit wrong.. you need an amp that pushes out 900w RMS at 1ohm if you wire them in parallel or 900w RMS at 4ohms if you wire them in series

Post Number: 2
thanks cainer, you know of any good amps under $150, I found a Pyle PLA2370 thats 700w x 2, I don't know how many ohms and a Crunch P125.4 thats 500w x 2 @ 4 ohms. Thanks again bud.

someone
Unregistered guest
The Pyle and Crunch are over rated. They probably wouldn't do half what they say.

Post Number: 3
But will they do what I need them to and not blow in like 6 months?

Bronze Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 42
Probably not. They're made of cheap materials and probably won't even last 6 months. Save your money and buy a better amp. If you've used those amps in the past that may be what blew them in the first place, too much clipping. 150 is way too tight. Save up 500 and you'll be talking.

Post Number: 4
Any namebrand suggestions from anyone?

Anonymous

Man first of all you DON'T blow subs by under powering them you blow subs by OVER powering them. You feed Subs the RMS wattage Not 50 watts under the max. That max rating is crap. Don't believe the MAX believe the RMS.

And another thing you aren't going to get any good 900 watt RMS amps for under 150. You need to just save up some more money or go to Ebay and found a good used amp. Such as Kicker,JL Audio, and such. Not garage sale amps. Such as Legacy, Pyle.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 3212
for two Kicker S10L5 subs, a kicker kx600.1 would be a decent amp for them.
that'd be 300 watts per sub, if each sub is 4 ohms single coil, or 2+2 ohm DVC

Bronze Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 52
Quit TRYING to look smart and research information before trying to flame what others are trying to say, and don't assume you know it all, because obviously you don't. You can blow subs by underpowering them. Not saying overpowering won't do it, too, but when an amp is pushed past it's maximum clean signal power (more typical when amps are underpowering speakers because they're not loud to the threshold of pain, causing someone to want to turn it up. Also typical of cheaper amps like Pyle, which arent a clean signal at all. Pushing past the maximum power the amp can put out makes it "clip" which is a square wave, unlike the typical sine wave. It forces the voice coil to max excursion, and since it's a square wave, stays there for a longer period of time, building up more and more heat from the current, and eventually burning out the voice coil. There, I saved you a Google search. His subs are 450W RMS each, 2+2 DVC, meaning he needs a 900 watt RMS amp at a 2 ohm load. He could go with the Kicker 600.1 above, too. As long as he doesn't clip it.

Username: Pdivvy5

CT United States

Post Number: 3
ok, i have some JL W3's, and i was wondering what a good amp would be to power my subs...an amp under $250 would be nice...i was also wondering what channel amp would be good, because i dont really know anything...please help
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us