Closed: New threads not accepted on this page

Username: Alex_smith

Post Number: 3
post pic of current system and new equipment

Silver Member
Username: Yukhui

Myrtle Beach, South Carolina USA

Post Number: 637
i dont think there is a current system yet, lol..

Silver Member
Username: Tejcurrent

Post Number: 344
current system is the new equipment :-)
I literally woke up a 6:00am before a show at noon last weekend and put a 3rd battery and an amp and sub in, (I already had one amp and sub).
I'll get pics when I take it out, but it's really the old setup ghetto-rigged to have some thump (150.2 last weekend) till I get things working right. I've spent the last 2 hours snaking the drains. I have to pick up the industrial sized one we have tomarrow and snake out the main line >:| maybe by noon I'll be done and able to finish the box.

Current system (again, ghetto-rigged)
*Alpine 9885(going in the wifes car, I don't like it. I'm putting my 9831 back in this week too).
*Eclipse 4ch on stock speakers till I get new ones.
*2 btl 18s with 15ft net
*2 memphis mojo 4ks

not much to it, but it's in the works.
It's really so temporary I'd make fun of it if I was someone else.

Post Number: 4
oh...

well then your system sucks troy =]

Gold Member
Username: Naledge503

Http://com4.runboard.c...

Post Number: 1687
^^^Is that your real name or are you a Niners fan?

Username: Basebalz13

Moneta, Va Usa

Post Number: 7
dude mad props

Silver Member

Post Number: 638
Yep, thats his name. Real origional aint it? lol

Post Number: 5
definitely not a niners fan

Silver Member

Post Number: 639
http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=yukhui&p=r

Troy, I added that video of your old system I took with my phone, to my youtube. Whoever wants to see, go check it out.

Silver Member

Post Number: 345
Who are the niners?

Silver Member

Post Number: 346
j/k lol. That's just my name- thought it would show as tejcurrent when I started the account and it didn't. Never cared to fix it.
Posting pics now...

Silver Member

Post Number: 347
I didn't know you made that vid. (or forgot).
I forgot how bad that 1500 thing moved. This new one doesn't shake anywhere near as bad, but it has some sound deadener. Too bad that was off a phone, that was nice.
Here's one of the wife, she wouldn't put her head in that far- and it's pretty bad quality too, but it's a start.
http://s116.photobucket.com/albums/o7/alpinemayn/?action=view&current=MOV01476.f lv

Silver Member

Post Number: 348
Upload
Okay, I drilled a 1/2 inch hole for the 1/2" rod on the top side, and used a hole cutting bit like you would find in a door-knob installation kit for the bottom (which is exactly where I got mine from since I do that kind of work sometimes.)
Upload
I took the small square from an earlier post and drilled a 1/2" hole in the center- marking where it needs to be on the inside.
Upload
The bit I was talking about- it's just big enough to fit a socket into without taking a whole lot of wood out.
Upload
I fed the rod through from the inside and put the nut on the end where I wanted it to be. Then put the socket on to center it up with the hole.

Upload
Okay, the board is then glued
Upload
Finished product on the bottom
Upload
You can see it's nice and smooth so it will sit flat on the floor of the vehicle.
Upload
Put a couple finish nails in there, but the rod has enough tension alone to hold it in place till the glue dries. (it doesn't really need screwed because there's no real force against it, and it will easily hold whatever flexing the baffle tries to do.)
Upload
Just wanted to take a picture of this socket set I got a few months back. It has no back to it and can easily go over any size bolt it needs to, or spark plugs ect, ect. Found at Lowes.

Silver Member

Post Number: 349
Upload
Bolt secured.
Upload
Ready to cut to size- battery powered sawzaw ftmfw
Upload
Again, real short work of that.
Upload
And a final coat of fiberglass. I didn't get many pics of that because I used a lot of hardener so it would dry quicker. As humid as it was the other day it took sooo long to dry, I really don't want to wait for that again.

If not tonight tomarrow I'll carpet it and put the terminal bolts on the back. Then comes the amp rack.

Silver Member

Post Number: 640
Looks real nice man!
Although it may not be necessary like you said, I would still put a few screws into that board you glued down. Reason being is that it takes a few seconds right now to screw it down, but could possibly take hours if for some reason the glue did not hold tight enough and you had to take everything back out of your car in order to fix the problem..

Silver Member

Post Number: 641
Oh, and btw how is your experience/know how, with carpeting boxes?

Silver Member
Username: Dakangofkrunk16

Post Number: 896
"I fed the rod through from the inside and put the nut on the end where I wanted it to be. Then put the socket on to center it up with the hole."

Is it me, or does that sound really dirty...

But really nice man, cant wait to see and hear the finish product

Silver Member

Post Number: 351
^very dirty :-)

I will say right out, I suck at carpeting. Sadly better than I've seen at a few shops around here where somehow they got mdf showing through the seams, but I'm better than that anyway.
We'll see how it turns out- if it sucks I've got a friend from high school who paints cars for a living I might have work on it for me (in exchange for hooking up his new mustang I guess).

Screws would be a good thought colby, but I don't have the screws I'd want to use anyway. I could make a spacer for the long ones I have, but ehh..

Silver Member

Post Number: 352
While I could be wrong in the end, I'm pretty sure the combination of wood glue, nails, and 2-3 layers of fiberglass should hold pretty well. I can pop the port off and have plenty of room to work later if need be.

Bronze Member
Username: Djb0501

Post Number: 32
Awesome work man, looks great so far.

Silver Member

Post Number: 353
Did someone say speaker p0rn?

Upload

Upload

Upload

Now everyone knows my secret- - - I still haven't finsihed painting my office or refinishing the hardwood floors!! Oh well, it's a work in progress, and I guess I have to have my priorities.

Silver Member
Username: Press1

Yuba City, CA USA

Post Number: 110
$$$$$$$
Caching!!!
$$$$$$$

Gold Member
Username: Bernymac

BME

Post Number: 3252
Very nice. I wish I had more time to work on my car :\

Silver Member

Post Number: 357
^ Thanks. I know with the time thing, I've been working all over the place (I have 3+ jobs) and just working an hour or so when I can :-(
Working on my house is a job in and of itself- I had to snake the main drain line today with a huge asted machine- I reeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaallllllllllllllllly really really really really really really really really really really hate to do that. I hate cleaning up afterwards too (the moter on it has one speed- fast as h3ll).

Gold Member

BME

Post Number: 3254
Yeah man. I have 1 job but I go to school also. And when your working nights, your tired as h3ll (kinda). Right now I'm trying to find time to rerun my remote and rca wires. Competition this Saturday so I have to partially get my fiberglassed doors done :-). Good job so far, its nice to have a big build on this forum.

Gold Member
Username: Safe_cracker

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 3393
Ya I see major flex happening pulling that little square up, only thing it has going for it is the weight of the subs but IDK. You could have had the same result using 1" hardwood dowels, hope it all works out! Polo.. :-)

Gold Member
Username: Wingmanalive

A pic is worth 1000 posts!!

Post Number: 9802
Now THAT is some good sh1t right there.

No other words but...Upload

Silver Member

Post Number: 358
Hey! Upon removal of the subs I got some 1 1/4" screws, so those are going in.
Polo- I thought of the dowels but I've seen people have those pop out, and there's something cold and mean looking about that threaded rod, I figured I'd use that. With a nut on both sides of the wood tightened down and 'glassed/glued in place I'm not worried about them working out, but thanks!

Silver Member

Post Number: 642
Thats some sexy sh!t you got there. Did you manage to break in the new subs at all?

Gold Member
Username: The_image_dynamic

San Diego

Post Number: 2781
Very nice work Troy, I wouldn't be surprised to see you hit high 150's with this one. But please don't carpet that box... get some Herculiner and do it right. Carpet would just cheapen the whole thing.

And by the way, Rob doesn't need AC since he is cold-blooded

Silver Member

Post Number: 364
Why not carpet it? I really don't feel like putting liner on it- I prefer the look of carpet. Its a large box and I rarely see large boxes carpeted nicely, I'd like to do it. It'll match the interior pretty well... Please explain why it would look bad brad- and thanks btw.

No colby, they've been in the plastic till I took the pictures a bit ago. It took months of beating on the first two to get them right, so they won't be movin the same for a while.

Post Number: 6
woofer p0rn!!!!!!!!

cant wait to see/hear/worship the finished product

Bronze Member
Username: Imi4tth3w

San Antonio, Texas USA

Post Number: 43
good god. i'm pretty sure everyone here will know when its done cause you'll be able to hear that for MILES

Gold Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 3394
Most people use wooden dowels incorrectly. Take a 1" butterfly bit and make a hole in each connecting panel. The dowel needs to go through and sit flush with top and bottom panels. Threaded rod is good for SPL boxes as they aren't designed to be musical, not really. SQL boxes should sound half way decent and will cover a larger array of frequencies, this being said the theaded rod could generate a harmonic distortion of its own. Everything has a reosonating frequency now weather it is audible to you, we'll see... ;) Polo..

Gold Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

Post Number:...

Post Number: 4645
"Most people use wooden dowels incorrectly. Take a 1" butterfly bit and make a hole in each connecting panel. The dowel needs to go through and sit flush with top and bottom panels. Threaded rod is good for SPL boxes as they aren't designed to be musical, not really. SQL boxes should sound half way decent and will cover a larger array of frequencies, this being said the theaded rod could generate a harmonic distortion of its own. Everything has a reosonating frequency now weather it is audible to you, we'll see... ;) Polo.."
I doubt it will be audible.

"And by the way, Rob doesn't need AC since he is cold-blooded"
Well,I did live in Texas for 3 years and I've worked in some in some brutal conditions.

Gold Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 3396
Hey Troy are those Washing machine foams I see there, lol ? Polo..

Platinum Member
Username: Bestmankind

SOUND SPLINTER RL-S ON...

Post Number: 15078
damn this is some good sh!t. 4 btls and 4 memphis's. it don't get any better than that.

steve meade has some competition now.

Silver Member

Post Number: 380
Polo, you are on the money lol.. Remember in an earlier post when I said I had to install a washer/dryer for the wife? well there's some of the packaging. I thought it was a nice way of keeping them off the floor .

No pics because the camera battery died, I'll have to take some later, but I got the port in and some painting done in the box. Pics tonight. I'm holding off on the install till tomarrow evening- I'm getting the windows tinted at 9:00 tomarrow morning and I don't want equipment to get in the way or to get damaged. By then the box will be finished hopefully.

Gold Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 3397
I deliver apliances, lol. Oh BTW that is from a Cabrio washer, did you get her the glass top? That foam has four legs and if you throw it real hard with a no wind day it works like a Nerf boomerang, really. Also did you clean out the little bits of foam dust from you trying to get the basket foam out, a real PITA.... :-O Polo.

Gold Member
Username: Livin_loud

Do Work Fi Audio

Post Number: 1831
i'm absolutely jealous. sick setup. loudest on ecoustics maybe?

Silver Member

Post Number: 383
Yeah, pita for sure. We got the 'kenmore oasis'- same thing, but we didn't get the glass top. I can soooo see one of us (me) putting something on top of it and scratching it, then having to stare at the scratch everytime we do laudry. Just felt better with paint.

Eric- I think others on here will probably be getting higher numbers because of the goals of their setup. I want sickly loud lows w/o a wall. It'll be pretty loud for sure, but loudest I don't know about that.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4648
"i'm absolutely jealous. sick setup. loudest on ecoustics maybe?"

It'll most likely be the loudest non walled setup on Ecoustics.

Gold Member
Username: Skibum12189

Cleveland

Post Number: 1555
may i ask what kind of front stage you're gonna be running?

haha and damn thats a lot of money worth of car audio right there

Silver Member

Post Number: 389
Upload
The begining of a finish plate, not centered up, but you get the idea
Upload
Picture of the port in place- you can see that is really how black it looks even with light coming in- I painted it a very flat black.
Upload
I painted the rod black too, again, it looks dark when you look in there.
Two holes left to cut tomarrow and 3/4 round off the whole thing. Those pics look aweful, but it really is shaping up in person.

Silver Member

Post Number: 645
Why are you 3/4" the whole thing?

Silver Member

Post Number: 390
I have a finish layer I'm putting on top and making into part of the amp rack. I'm rounding that over with a 3/4 round over bit for cosmetic reasons- the extra layer is really just for aesthetics.

Silver Member

Post Number: 647
Oh aight, sounds good to me.

Silver Member

Post Number: 396
Upload
Some of the cut-outs, they're starting to stack up
Upload
3rd face layer, I'm sure it'll add some (however little) additional bracing, but its more of a trim plate to make it look a bit nicer and hide the rod sticking up, and it will be part of the amp rack- pics of that tonight hopefully..
Upload
Upload
Test fitting a gasket to check fit, about 1/8 inch all around. Pretty basic stuff with the round-over.

Upload

Upload
Upload
Test fit a sub just to make sure things were looking good- fits perfect.
Upload
Okay, completely rounded over. I believe its time to carpet it, screw in some terminals (I'm using bolts) and slap it in. Once it's in I'll be building the amp rack based on where it sits in the vehicle.

Silver Member

Post Number: 648
What are you using to screw the subs in?

Silver Member

Post Number: 398
specialty screws.

Silver Member

Post Number: 649
got a link or pic?

Bronze Member
Username: Djb0501

Post Number: 35
Wow. forget about beatin' down the block, you're beatin' down the state. Awesome setup and install.

Gold Member
Username: Jkidder

IA, DP RD

Post Number: 1874
what kind of deadening did u do and what areas of car were deadened?

Silver Member

Post Number: 399
Nah, for anti-theft reasons I don't really wanna post it. Nothing special, I just everything I can do you know?

I've deadened the rear of the car, I still have to do the front and the headliner.

Silver Member

Post Number: 650
Oh, dam, thought I was one step closer to having your system... J/p man but yeah I know what you mean.

Silver Member

Post Number: 400
Yeah, lol, I've got an unregistered .38 I FOUND (n/j) for anyone who steals my system lol. Self-defense ftmfw :-).
Honestly, it's just screws you'd find at lowes with special heads. It's literally screwed in with 1 1/4 screws so as not to leave holes too deep when I change ports.

Got the box in the truck tonight, no time to install equipment though, but I'll get pics when it's light out.

Got it tinted today first so I don't have to worry about things blocking the window while getting it tinted.

Stock 20% in back + a layer of 5% all the way around, I'm redoing the 20% that was on the front window so I'll have to go back next week for the 2nd layer up front, but it's still like the bat-cave in back. You can't see a thing even with a light pressed up against the glass, so it's good. ;) The alarm has a back-up battery, plus it pages me if a bird even THINKS about craping on it from around a mile away. If someone pops the hood to diconnect it it will still page me that the hood was popped/glass broken/door pried open. It's pretty safe. Plus it's parked about 30ft from the bedroom- and I can hear people's footsteps in the gravel as they walk beside the road about 20ft from the bedroom with the windows closed...poorly insulated old asted house is what it is.

Gold Member

Post Number: 9872
This is going to be an awesome setup when completed Troy. There's a ton of work/money here invested so far and it looks like it WILL pay off!

Silver Member

Post Number: 651
.38's and .357 mags are fun to shoot imo. Must have been nice finding a free gun lol. Worth anything?

Silver Member

Post Number: 401
I've never had it appraised. I found it in the attic hidden behind some insulation. It's OLD, no one's been in the house for over 10 years. I'd say it's around 15 years old smith&wesson. I don't know if it came as a semi-auto, or it was made to be after the fact, but I figure it's worth keeping just in case. I haven't had a chance to fire it yet, just clean it. I'm hoping to go shooting this fall when it cools down a bit.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4684
"I've never had it appraised. I found it in the attic hidden behind some insulation. It's OLD, no one's been in the house for over 10 years. I'd say it's around 15 years old smith&wesson"

Usually guns are hidden for a reason lol.I wonder how many bodies are on that piece

Silver Member

Post Number: 402
That's exactly what my cousin said 'that things got bodies' but ya know...

Bronze Member
Username: Da_jay_man06

Crestview, Florida U.s.a

Post Number: 39
your going to be able to make vids that are like steve meades post them here

Silver Member
Username: Denim

Www.TeamSSAudio.com, MD

Post Number: 440
Excellent work Troy, I wish I could hear it.

Silver Member

Post Number: 407
I want to set things straight for the record- no offence meant in anyway:

I am not trying to be like meade, and I'm not trying to compete with him in any way. I knew when I started this build the fact we have similar vehicles and 4 18 setups people were going to start saying things or comparing- please do not, as I have nothing to say about it.

There are unfortunate similarities because of the fact there are only so many ways you can fit 4 18s in a yukon without a wall, but they stop at the fact that he has a crx style box with 18s, and so do I.

I'm sure it will be loud, but I have much respect for Steve Meade, and he has much more experience and knowledge than I do.

I do plan on posting vids, but Meade style vids I will leave to the man himself.
Thanks.

Silver Member

Post Number: 412
Upload
Upload
The picture is deceiving, only the top baffle goes over the seat, not the box iteself.

Carpet the faceplate and wire things up, a few screws in the equipment and it'll be running.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4696
You're above window line :-( That's a big and bad a ss box though :-) Are you going to do something to the top baffle and is that 8 gauge speaker wire I see?Looks real good man.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4697
"Carpet the faceplate "

I'm guessing you meant the top baffle lol.I kind of missed that.

Silver Member

Post Number: 413
^yeah, that's what I meant.
I don't care if it's above the window line- I'm not a serious competitor. There's now 3-4 n/w class in the comps I normally go to anyway. 8 guage speaker wire.
Thanks.

Gold Member
Username: Drivingreckless

DD 9515f, 148.2 db Mov...

Post Number: 4158
Nice work troy, you truely are a very talented box builder/designer...cant wait to hear how it does....

Gold Member
Username: Tremor1127

Fi

Post Number: 2239
hey, put a cat in the port and burp it.

seriously...

Silver Member
Username: Big_edge_head

Milwaukee, Wisconsin USA

Post Number: 597
damn that looks nice. thats a lot of $$$$$$$$ sitting in your car.

Gold Member

IA, DP RD

Post Number: 1879
38s r mah fav firearm

Gold Member

Post Number: 9904
8ga speaker wire. Wow.

Upload

Silver Member

Post Number: 414
driving- thanks. Wow those subs are so close to the port they are literally sitting on it. It took 4 hours to install the subs and wire them up (with crimping all those ring terminals on the 8 guage, gettting the right length, installing the amps, etc).

I still have to hook the power/ground/remote up to the amps, but after that its ready to go!

I really didn't like the way the carpet turned out, so it's just plain mdf for the top baffle. My friend from highschool does painting (cars and the like) for a living, so I'm going to meet with him next week or so about getting him to paint it- I think I'll make it match the exterior white or something, fancy up the rest of the box in the process. I didn't do the amps like I originally planned to, but I'll have to remove them when he paints it.
I'm going to a comp. Saturday night, so def. vids by then.

Silver Member
Username: Hgihkcin

Lincoln, NE

Post Number: 247
where is the comp ur going saturday night?

Post Number: 10
just gets better and better

what time are you going to the comp.

Silver Member

Post Number: 656
Florence, SC.

Silver Member

Post Number: 415
^yep.

comps at 5pm, and colby, if you and (I think it was kevin) want to go that'd be cool, just let me know.

Silver Member
Username: Hgihkcin

Lincoln, NE

Post Number: 248
i wish i lived in south Carolina so i could see that

Bronze Member

San Antonio, Texas USA

Post Number: 50
you should have people sign a release before they get into your car just in case some1 goes deaf

=)

Gold Member
Username: Nyyfan13

Fi SSD USA

Post Number: 6012
damn dude....thats great work troy.....numbers when everything is done....and good luck at your comp

Silver Member
Username: Jesse59672

OKLAHOMA

Post Number: 597
you already have all of your electrical done? you going to be running 16k rms?

Gold Member
Username: Theweasel

2 12 FI SSD, Colorado U.S. of A

Post Number: 1066
i can't believe i'm about the say this but is 20 cu ft enough for 4 18"'s?

Gold Member
Username: Pitbullguy

Ascendant Audio Arsenals, Chicago Ima graffiti...

Post Number: 1815
"hey, put a cat in the port and burp it."

please don't do that, cruelty to animals FTL :-(

Gold Member
Username: Johnfiac

A-ToWn, 9515 thumpin... What u bumpin?

Post Number: 3490
all i can say after seeing the box in the trunk.... YOUR HATCH IS GOING TO HATE YOU!!!! Just with my old setup in a SUV (2 DD9515F's on 3K 40hz tuning) my rear hatch popped out about 1 inch... i cant even imagine what its going to do here... i even had 6inchs gap just think... you have like 2 inchs 4x the power and 2x the subs... damnnnnnn

Silver Member
Username: Fi_car_audio

Hades, NV

Post Number: 226
:-)

Looking good. I cant wait til it gets fired up.

Gold Member

IA, DP RD

Post Number: 1887
3 times the subs

Silver Member

Post Number: 416
"hey, put a cat in the port and burp it."

please don't do that, cruelty to animals FTL

^^agree.

Man, I hate flushing my goldfish when they die, let alone hurting something that COULD complain.

Yes, 20ft is the bare minimum space they need, and with the fact I'm overpowering them they wont mind the smaller box ;)

jesse, the electrical is in the works, but wont be done for some time. I'm going to be going pretty easy on it for a while, but even when I crank it up I'll most likely be whole dbs below what a good charging system would. I don't plan on messing up my equipment though. My thoughts are my two btls were very loud before they even started moving- even half volume was loud- so I'm sure I'll be happy with this. The cone area is just massive (and I think will make up for me not turning it all the way up)- it's like having 10 12s, or almost 16 10s, so I'm sure I'll be happy with ~1k watt each.

pics/vids this afternoon hopefully

Silver Member

Post Number: 417
^^at 'half volume' before I set it to play a -0 test tone at 12v ac to the sub, and it was loud enough to draw a crowd, so again, I'm sure I'll be okay to be careful.

Silver Member

Post Number: 419
Okay, so I hooked it up this morning- I have A LOT of clean-up to do with the wiring, but it's able to play right now. With voltage drop to about 11.5 volts it is very very loud. Here's the results of a few seconds of jeezy:

Upload

Again, I have to have it painted, but its working for the comp tomarrow.

Gold Member
Username: Andrew571

Stillwater/Edmond, Oklahoma USA

Post Number: 1181
so where r the amps? and also where r the batts?

Gold Member

Post Number: 4760
Probably on the right side of the box looking from the back of the truck.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4761
I just now realized that you blew out the dome light :-)

Silver Member
Username: Kyle_lowe

Post Number: 292
do you not see the amps, just to the left of the subs?

Gold Member
Username: Andrew571

Stillwater/Edmond, Oklahoma USA

Post Number: 1182
i see one... wheres the others?

im confused,

Bronze Member

San Antonio, Texas USA

Post Number: 53
i'm gonna guess 2 amps on each side

haha that hilarious.. first time i put my comparably small 15" L5 in my moms car the driver controlled rear ac panel fell off. but it was only a small screw that came loose

Gold Member
Username: Denali_on_22s

Im just light up my......

Post Number: 2785
DAMN MATT FOR REAL!?

Anyways, good work, Troy. This setup is NASTY, and it's been awesome watching the build. I can't wait to see vids.

Silver Member

Post Number: 420
matt's right, 2 per side. I'm in the process of working up a nice amp rack. It's hard tuning the amps because of how different the new ones move from the old. On the same voltage they seem to be effecting each other so that different ones move more or less, so some tuning left in that...

It sounds great, but honestly I've got them toping out at 12v ac to each sub, so theres OOOOOODLES more power left to give them (around 60v per sub when all said and done). It sounds louder with only two subs going than it did with the 2 before, so we'll see. It's pretty sick for the little bit of power they're getting.
Thanks btw.

Silver Member

Post Number: 423
and the batts are between the box and the seat-it fits over them with that notch. no pics-really really sloppy wire, i'll post some when it's fixed up.

Silver Member

Milwaukee, Wisconsin USA

Post Number: 612
u have a nice digital camera

Silver Member

Milwaukee, Wisconsin USA

Post Number: 613
damn this thread now has arhive

Gold Member

Post Number: 9941
All threads after 200 posts do.

Good thread.

Silver Member

Post Number: 658
Alex can't go but I should be able to, just hit me up sometime tomorrow man.

Silver Member

Post Number: 424
Alright, I'll give you a call around 3-4.
Ddddamn on the archive thing.

I'm going to be doing another project for my wifes car (12" type-x, hifonics 2006d, ported 32hz - bent mdf port ). But I swear to god my next big project is going to be two of these things in a wall in some small suv or car (maybe 6k-10krms burps). Still trying to get my bro to chip in on that one- I know with tuning we could hit hiiiigh 150s w/o a problem. Time's going to tell if that comes through though. My camera is a 4.1meg (well, my wifes, my 70 year old mom dropped mine and broke it :-( )

Colby said he had a new camera, maybe he'll get a decent vid of things.

Silver Member

Post Number: 659
7 MP. Takes great pictures, but I am not so happy with the video though.. It doesn't pick up on things shaking and woofer excursion as well as I would like but it'll do.

Silver Member

Post Number: 426
http://s18.photobucket.com/albums/b126/derrick824/?action=view&current=hairtrick 2.flv

<object><param></param><param></param><embed></embed></object>

http://youtube.com/watch?v=rmBd2Tb-3IM

Gold Member

Post Number: 9998
Upload

Gold Member

Post Number: 1757
Very nice man.

Gold Member

Fi SSD USA

Post Number: 6044
damn

Gold Member
Username: Splmonster

C-Town, OH USA

Post Number: 1409
crazy man..... get some flex vids = )

Gold Member
Username: Skibum12189

Cleveland

Post Number: 1608
regular old steve meade here...

damn and this setup is for daily kinda?!

that girl looked like she was quite uncomfortable

Gold Member

Post Number: 1759
I was thinking the same thing. She was breathin kind hard

Silver Member
Username: Somedonniedude

Post Number: 206
Is that without the h/o alts? Either way thats awsome!!! That chick looked as if she was gonna cry.

Silver Member

Post Number: 427
Thanks to Colby and Derrick for the vids and pics.

new state record- some sand bagging going on there too.

152.6 was the best burp with a full charge, but that was after 2 150+db vibrations brought me down from a 158 and change. Sound deadener hear I come. Then the sunroof blew.

All in all a good show.
1st in bassrace, I lost spl to a guy tune over 60hz with a wall.

Upload
Upload

http://youtube.com/watch?v=rmBd2Tb-3IM

http://s18.photobucket.com/albums/b126/derrick824/?action=view&current=hairtrick2.flv
Hair tricks?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=-jbd81gYhtc

Silver Member

Post Number: 428
Sorry, bit of a double post- I couldn't get those images to show earlier. No, that's with less than 1000 watts each (12v ac to the subs). That's stock alt, 3 yellow tops, and 1 run of 1/0. Sooo much improvement to be had.

I did 152.6 sealed up, set a state record of 152.6 in beginner extreme or something like that- sand bagging.

I was told I was hitting 158 and change at the subs, but two rattles that were hitting over 150 were bringing me down to 152 and change, so oh well. I'm pretty happy with the results with stock charging as it is, and really hope for some big things with some sound deadening and a bit more tuning.

Silver Member

Post Number: 429
[IMG]http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e340/Yukhui/Troy%20Jones/DSCN0127.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e340/Yukhui/Troy%20Jones/DSCN0110.jpg[/IMG]

Thanks colby- I really didn't feel like posting them all, but these were some nice pics.

Silver Member
Username: Dakangofkrunk16

Post Number: 901
"Troy Jones BTL's. 4000 watts total."

Doesn't he mean 16000 4 mem mojo's, or is he sayin 4 gettin 4000 watts a piece

Gold Member
Username: Johnfiac

A-ToWn, 9515 thumpin... What u bumpin?

Post Number: 3496
He got 4 4kw's

Silver Member

Post Number: 432
I have 4 4ks, yes.
BUT when you crank them up to 4k watts they are putting out ~60volts ac to each sub. I am giving each sub ~ 12volts ac, which is less than 1000 watts each.

My electrical system wont allow me to do any more. Pretty much my gains are at about 1/8-1/10 of the way up, with my eq at 0 or below. I'd be giving them about the same power if I hooked up one instead of all 4, but I wanted to get everything in there. When each sub is getting the 4000 watts each, it has about 4" of peak to peak excursion- right now they have about 1".

Like I said, right now I'm giving them about 1/4 of the power they will be getting, and dont plan on turning it up till I get the new alternators in.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4777
Nice work Troy.I'm more excited about the alternator setup than anything else you have going on there though lol.Keep me posted.

Silver Member
Username: Zacdavis

Beloit, Wi

Post Number: 627
Take some advice from a guy who's somewhat familiar with those amps,
ADD MORE BATTERIES!!! ;)

I understand the charging system needs to be upgraded for bass race but you still need more reserve capacity! Those amplifiers draw more than 300amps of current each at full tilt. batts batts batts batts.

Question, when you say 158 at the subs do you mean in the port?

Also, I like the fact you went with 4 18"s, thats very cool. It may not put up the highest scores in the lanes but for street beatin that thing has jus gotta be louder than all hell :D !!!!!!
Nice equipment/build Troy.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4778
Your charging system is going to be worth more than anyone's entire system on Ecoustics

Silver Member

Post Number: 433
thanks zac. There will be 6 batteries in the end, but for now there's 3. I mean that if you look at the screen on the t/l there's the score you're really hitting with the subs, then it factors in vibrations and other sounds, and brings your score down based on those. If you have a soda can in your cup holder making noise at 130hz while you're burping 40hz- it's lowering your score. One show I went to a guy burped 153, they said 'hey, you've got a vibration at 95hz' - he forgot some tools in the back that were clanking together, and after he moved them did a 2nd run of 155 and change.
I have no sound deadener on the front half of my vehicle yet, and that sunroof is a killer, so that will be taken care of. It's like $500 to have the sunroof removed and a plug put in there, welded and repainted. That'll probably be happening soon enough. I figure I can sell the sunroof setup for enough to pay for a good portion of that exchange.

alternators (260a) are 380 shipped from iraggi, and a bracket is about 300, so about $1900 in the charging system. I might cheap out and keep the stock alt and just add 3, so I can keep it more around 1500. He1l, I'll most likely only add one or two at first, I made a deal with the wife that will slow things down quite a bit :-(

Even one amp with a 200a alt and 3 batteries full tilt never popped a 250a fuse. Either I didn't have the amp turned up, or something, but I don't usually push my equipment that hard.
Thanks again.

BTW, I fixed the problem I was having with 3 subs moving and 1 not, and its audibly louder. I don't know why it was doing that, but I adjusted the amps by ear instead of with a meter and that really made things sound better. I bought the new young joc cd, so I'll probably be getting a vid of 'He1l Yeah' by tomarrow- that song (as well as most on there) sounds great.

Silver Member

Post Number: 464
http://youtube.com/watch?v=3NQgBaSjzms

Gold Member
Username: Kd7nfr

Moody AFB, GA United States

Post Number: 1789
Did the chick come with that setup?

Silver Member

Post Number: 675
Haha fck you I enjoy my long hair!

Gold Member

Fi SSD USA

Post Number: 6088
lol long hair ftw colby

and damn troy, best thread on E in a long while bud

Gold Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 3431
Hey Colby you Indian?

Silver Member

Post Number: 677
Hey Polo is that my foot up your 4ss?

J/p man but h3ll nah im not at all Indian. White lol, good bit Italian.

Gold Member

Fi

Post Number: 2257
dayng, i just saw this one...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=_IqfHWck56I

thats brilliant!

Gold Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 3432
"J/p man but h3ll nah im not at all Indian. White lol, good bit Italian."

Just wondering, because it looks like you were named "Little Sittin B!tch" in that video, l0l Polo.. j/P.. ;)

Gold Member

BME

Post Number: 3294
I like competition :-) but your doing to much for me to handle. Like I said before, great build. Haven't had a thread like this in..........months? years? a very long time.

Silver Member

Post Number: 465
Thanks a lot guys. More vids when I can get some willing people to get near it- it's always more fun when you get bass virgins who think they know what they're getting themselves into lol.

Gold Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 6437
troy you said vibrations from other things in the vehicle lower the score how does that happen

Gold Member

Fi

Post Number: 2260
how were the hairtricks before with just two?

Platinum Member
Username: Bestmankind

SOUND SPLINTER RL-S ON...

Post Number: 15196
fukkking badazz you are troy. keep the updates coming.

Silver Member

Post Number: 502
[URL=http://s116.photobucket.com/albums/o7/alpinemayn/?action=view&current=MOV01476.f lv][IMG]http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o7/alpinemayn/th_MOV01476.jpg[/IMG][/URL]
There's two btl 18s

Silver Member

Post Number: 503
http://s116.photobucket.com/albums/o7/alpinemayn/?action=view&current=DSCN0162.f lv

Playing with test tones for a short bit.

http://s116.photobucket.com/albums/o7/alpinemayn/?action=view&current=DSCN0165.f lv

There's the door moving- all the windows down all the way.

Silver Member

Post Number: 504
Here's a vid parked in front of a shop- don't know how well that showed up, but the shop door was moving in and out, and those panes were flexing pretty bad.

http://s116.photobucket.com/albums/o7/alpinemayn/?action=view&current=DSCN0166.f lv

Silver Member

Post Number: 678
Haha pretty nice dude. I've never been to that shop?
But anyways the reason I wanted you to post on youtube is photobucket vids are much more choppy on my computer.

But anyways, we threw kevins subs in the car (1600 rms rather than 2k for now, and box isnt glued/sealed).

It sounds pretty nice n loud but we really need to stop the back from rattleing and hopefully will be able to move the box back some more. We did some shirt moving in the window at that elementary school for a min and a guy in the trailor parks down the road flashed one of them high powered lights at us hahahha. He kept the lights on us for a while and kinda pissed us off so all that comes to mind is bad ideas..

Silver Member

Post Number: 506
He should drive to that show the 22nd to meter it too :-)

Silver Member

Post Number: 679
Chances are he'll have work lol. Otherwise, I dunno how it will do on the meter seeing that its at 32 hz.

Silver Member

Post Number: 511
That's carolina audio in conway btw.
If he's doing 1600rms, then the amps probably rated at 500-1000rms at 4 ohms- if he can do in the 140s he'll win a trophy, which I'd bet he would.

Silver Member

Post Number: 680
I guess the biggest problem would be convincing him to drive up to florence haha

Silver Member
Username: Zacdavis

Beloit, Wi

Post Number: 629
Troy, they lied to you. Having some wrenches in the back vibrating did not bring the score down 2 db.
I believe you when u say thats what you were told, but they are mistaken.

On another note, adding sound deadener to your truck may end up lowering your score instead of improving it depending on your trucks res/freq and how close your box is tuned to that note.
When adding deadener you get rid of those nasty rattles but in turn the cabin's res/freq is lowered.
If your box is tuned lower than the current res/freq, then adding the deader may help your score. But remember when your in the lanes the note you play will be lower as well.
What if your box is tuned at or above the cabin's resonant frequency?, you may end up lowering your score.

My black CRX 3 years ago,
161.5 @ 63hz without dynamat,
161.6 @ 62hz with dynamat. Gained a tenth.

The red CRX last year,
160.0 @ 65hz without, added dynamat and the best score it could muster was a
159.8 at 62hz.
Adding the deadener hurt the score, the box was tuned to the cabins res/freq. So no matter what note i played the box itself wasnt physically tuned to the cabin any longer. Pulled the dynamat out and the score went back up.

In my experience, adding can help OR hurt spl scores, but for the street....come on, heck yeah, less rattles equals better sounding :D

Again, nice install Troy

Gold Member

Post Number: 4875
I've told Drivingreckless from this site that sound deadening could either hurt or help his DB score but he didn't really understand/believe why when I tried to explain it so...if he reads this thread maybe now he'll understand.I'm still waiting for those charging upgrades and where do you have all your batts?

Silver Member

Post Number: 512
zac- sounds like you know your stuff :-)
The people who explained it to me owned a t/l, but I guess weren't the most knowledgable then. I was stating what I was told at the last comp- since it was my 3rd show I can only go off what others tell me. :-(

Thanks for clearing that up- like I said I'm going to eliminate that sunroof rattle for the next one and see what happens regardless. I'd rather lose a few tenths and gain a world as far as sq goes- I can hardly stand the rattles. Thanks for the advice/input.

I have the batts behind the rear bench so they aren't visible (wiring is still a mess back there). Its going to be a bit before the electrical upgrades get ordered (MAYBE one 260 and a dual bracket soon?) :-(
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us