Amp power wire & fuse block confusion

kj
Unregistered guest
i am in the process of installing a 2 channel amp with the intent of buying another amp (mono) shortly. i don't want to run more power wiring than i need for both.

i'm new at this & not certain which wire gauge & therefore fuse block/distributor setup to use. my stuff is kinda low-end because i can't spend a lot of money for costly setups. the 2 channel amp is a kenwood 529 (~80W x 2 max.) it replaced a really cheap 15W amp. i intend to buy either a jbl bp150.1 or alpine mrv-100M or mrp-200m or similar (basically a 150-200W RMS amp).

i was intending to run 12 gauge wire for the 2 channel amp, but after researching seems i should run 8-10 gauge for the mono amp?? any thoughts as to how to make this work with fuse block set up for both amps? any help is TREMENDOUSLY appreciated.

btw, the 2 channel amp is installed but not working with the existing wiring. i measured the voltage at the amp & it was only getting ~8-9 volts?? i believe the previous cheap amp it replaced had power wire tied in to the headunit power wire - not directly from the battery. is this why i get low voltage there?

Bronze Member
Username: Cainer

Camberley, Surrey England

Post Number: 14
do you have both amps in the back of your car kj?
i have 2 in the back of mine i use a 4gauge cable directly off the battery to the larger amp with an 8gauge cable looping off it to the smaller amp and everything seems to work fine,
this works fine for me but im no expert so hopefully GlassWolf,its_bacon12 or jonathan will let you know whats best for you

kj
Unregistered guest
cainer, one amp is under passenger front seat. i intend to put the other in the trunk area (i have an eclipse). after reading other sources seems 4g from the battery is the way most ppl go, BUT my amps are not powerful. so i don't see a need for that heavy wire gauge. i was thinking if not 4g from battery then 8g from battery into a distribution block(??) and 8g out to mono amp and 10g out to 2 channel amp. will that work or underpower amp?

also since my temporary wire is only 14g or so & tied into power wire for head unit is this why i was onyl seeing ~8 volts at power terminals on amp??? anyone have any ideas?

Silver Member
Username: Panache

Brenham, TX US

Post Number: 106
Kj,
My installer told me to always use a 4ga from the battery just because if you decide to upgrade your system later, the power wire wont be an issue. Bigger is better then it comes down to power and ground wires no matter how powerful or powerless the amp is. I have 4ga from the battery to my distribution block then 8ga to my mids amp and 4 ga to my sub amp.I would go with 8ga to both of our amps. My opinion

kgj
Unregistered guest
thx jason, but there will be no upgrade on this vehicle for sure!...don't know how long i will have it, but with a growing family justifying more/new car stereo stuff will be hard to come by.

i think i will go with 8G to both amps tho. any ideas on where to go thru firewall for power wire? (i have a 1st generation eclipse)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us