Bad ground

jamie
Unregistered guest
can anyone tell if a bad ground can cause an amp to fry? i had problems with my amp over heating and also the inline fuse blew.on later reading of threads it seems my ground was bad ie paint not bare metal.now can this cause my blown amp??

Bronze Member
Username: Panache

Brenham, TX US

Post Number: 96
jamie, to my understanding no groud and the amp won't play at all and a bad ground you may experience engine noise (the whistling or humming that comes over your speakers) I dont know alot about this but I've never heard of a bad ground causing an amp to fry. Keep in my though that I doht know much about this.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 3103
well, a bad ground can cause a lack of good current flow, which will cause the amp to clip, and could damage teh amplifier, but usually damages the speakers.. now if a speaker fries and you get a short across the coil(s) THEN it can fry the amplifier or blow fuses.
If the ground comes loose, and touches the distro block or something causing a dead short on the wrong side of the fuseblock, then yeah that will also fry the amp.

jamie
Unregistered guest
thanx for the advice guys,im now left wondering what did cause amp to blow.i have a boss (i know!!) 4chl amp and 12" sub,i was told to bridge both channels to run the sub.this seemed to make it very hot making the inline fuse blow and also frying my amp.8ga wire for both power nad ground with a 60amp inline fuse.upon looking inside the amp i can see some of the components fried especially where the ground wire is.

Silver Member

Brenham, TX US

Post Number: 105
Jamie,
How long did you have your amp b4 it started over heating. Maybe improper wiring...the bridge could have caused it also.

Bronze Member
Username: Hairball

City of Angels

Post Number: 35
yeah, what are the specs on the sub and how did you wire it up? if it was a 4ohm dvc sub wired in parallel, and the amp couldn't handle a 2ohm load, bam!

how were you running the amp? 2 channels on front speakers and the other 2 bridged for the sub?

i'm wondering if all the speakers you had hooked up to the amp had the same ohm load, and if this even matters. maybe someone can answer this.

jamie
Unregistered guest
it was brand new! i was told to bridge both channels to run the 12" sub 1000wts,300rms,4ohms.its a boss 4chl amp ba2900.it says its 2ohm stable.had it going for 20mins and the protection light came on and was extremely hot,then the inline fuse blew and the amp went in a puff of smoke! i had a look inside and some of the components are fried.would it be worth trying to get it fixed?

Anonymous

you was not suppose to bridge BOTH channels. that is what did it.

jamie
Unregistered guest
so i was given bad advice when i bought it then? ****! would it cheap to fix or buy a new 1?

Silver Member

Brenham, TX US

Post Number: 112
try to get a new one under warranty from the place you boiught it from

Bronze Member
Username: Hairball

City of Angels

Post Number: 48
learned from GlassWolf: a 4 ch amp is like two 2 ch amps, each of which can be bridged, to give 3 channels or 2 channels. but you can't bridge a 4ch amp to one channel. if it's a single voice coil sub, how did you hook it up to the amp, exactly? just curious.

fix a boss amp? i doubt anyone would advise that. for parts and someone's time, probably not worth it.

how much can you spend on a new amp?

jamie
Unregistered guest
thanks 4 your help guys,just hope i can get a new 1 seen as i got off ebay.im very annoyed that i was given bad advice from the seller i know where to come for future advice!! cheers

jamie
Unregistered guest
i was told to wire the sub with the front and rear bridge to get max effect.oviously not the thing to do! learn the hard way i guess

jamie
Unregistered guest
hey thanx 4 the sound advice guys! ive solved the problem and in the process of getting a replacement amp from seller.u have all been a great help
cheers

Anonymous

you should be able to READ the amps say how too bridge them

jamie
Unregistered guest
well it was my 1st install so i took what advice the seller told me to be true.on later reading and asking people i now realise this was the wrong thing to do.it has all been a valuable learning expierence
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us