Wiring Into Mono

Bronze Member
Username: Iamduff_87

Michigan America!

Post Number: 18
How would I go about wiring 2 6.5's 4ohm 30Watts RMS with a perfect match 2 channel 30Watt RMS RF 60ix into Mono. Ive heard over and over that you want your rear speakers in mono. How would i go about wiring the 2 speakers to the amp so it comes out mono?

thanks alot

-duff

Bronze Member
Username: Hairball

City of Angels

Post Number: 28
read the amp instructions on how to bridge the amp to one channel, then:

for speakers in parallel with a 2ohm load: twist the two positive leads together(one from each speaker) and the two negative leads together (one from each speaker) and attach the positive to positive on the amp, and negative to negative on the amp.

your amp may not be able to do one channel at 2 ohms, if so, you must wire the speakers in series which will be an 8 ohm load:

positive lead on amp to positive lead of one speaker(doesn't matter which one). then, negative lead on amp to negative lead of the second speaker. then, you need to run a speaker wire between the two unattached leads, there's only one way to do it, but it's from the negative lead of speaker one to the positive lead of speaker two.

the amp sees one speaker (or load), at 2 or 8 ohms, depending on how you hooked it up, and it's in mono.

the only problem i see is if the amp can't handle a 2 ohm load, then the speakers may be underpowered at 8 ohms, which is like 30W divided between two speakers i believe. at 2 ohms it would be up to 120W divided into two, but probably more like 80-100W depending on the specs of the amp.

Bronze Member
Username: Iamduff_87

Michigan America!

Post Number: 19
ok so if this amp is 2ohm compatible..(not sure its an old rockford 60ix) then each speaker would be getting about 60 RMS . They are rated at only 30RMS . Would i just turn the gains down to reduce the poewr? How would i know exatly where to turn the gains without harming my speakers or without underpowering them?

-Thanks

Bronze Member
Username: Hairball

City of Angels

Post Number: 29
not sure about the amp specs, but my guess is that if it's 30W RMS X 2 into 4ohms, then it's probably about 40-45W RMS X 2 into 2 ohms (rather than a full 60W). Then, it's bridged so it's probably around 80-90W RMS into one channel at 2 ohms, IF YOUR AMP IS STABLE INTO 2 OHMS. If it's not, then I believe you'll fry the amp at worst, or it'll just keep shutting down if it's got proper protection against that. not sure what it'd do to your speakers but it wouldn't likely be good.

do research on the amp, call or email RF and find out FOR SURE before setting it (speakers) up to run at 2 ohms
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us