Break in subs

Username: Nelly

Post Number: 1
Hey, I just got a new pair of Kicker CVR 12s. How long do I gotta break these subs in for? How do I break them in?

Bronze Member
Username: Dan3

Post Number: 84
break em in for bout a week since they are circle subs, shouldn't really have to worry though

Bronze Member
Username: Sploosh56

Post Number: 32
About 20 hours on low volume should work.

Username: Nelly

Post Number: 2
Hey thanks guys

Bronze Member
Username: Cainer

Camberley, Surry England

Post Number: 12
is it nessesary to break speakers in?
what could happen if you dont?
ive got a pair of infinity subs (1230) and never thought that they would need breaking in so ive been running them flat out since the day i got them and they seem fine.
would they sound better now if i had?

Bronze Member
Username: Panache

Brenham, TX US

Post Number: 100
I just think its a insurance policy to soften your subs up a bit so they wont blow when you apply real power behind them. I've never heard of SPL or SQ being effected by not letting them break in.

Bronze Member
Username: Rollinondubs

Post Number: 22
You need to break your subs in to soften the suspension. This will produce a greater bass effect once broken in. Whether or not you let them break in and its effect on performance depends on the brand of subwoofer. Rigid rubber, like those made by kicker need time to break in while foam surround woofers with little suspension dont need that much time. Peace.

Bronze Member
Username: Cainer

Camberley, Surrey England

Post Number: 21
im planning an upgrade soon so il take better care of my new subs for a while when i get them wired in

Unregistered guest
my sub sounds pretty good but when it hits, the bass distorts the vocals from the 6x9's. do i need new 6x9's or should i just get an equalizer?
Also, if i add another 10 inch sub, will it improve bass?

Bronze Member
Username: Sploosh56

Post Number: 49
Turn the bass down on your head unit. Then just use the bass boost on your amp if it has one.

Silver Member
Username: Pat_l

Tucson, AZ USA

Post Number: 155
Yes, make sure you break in the subs, do it for a long time. It's important because of all the reasons listed above and the fact that you dont want something snapping in the voice coil and messing up the sub.

Bronze Member
Username: Germanguy

Post Number: 15
...also the lacquer on the swing coils can not be totally dried up when bought brand new. if you give power to the subs the lacquer gets hot and produces little bubbles which can then lead to scratching noises.

if you let it play for a day at low to medium volume (not too low) the lacquer just dries up instead of boiling and bubbling

Bronze Member
Username: Germanguy

Post Number: 16
after reading my post again, plz excuse the poor way of describing the problem, since english is not my native language, nor do I use it often in my everyday live....
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us