OK which Sub should i get

Bronze Member
Username: Stugots

Post Number: 11
As it turns out Boston Acoustics Subs are hard to get in Canada but not impossible so instead here are 3 subs i am seriously thinking about getting need your help :P

1. Boston Acoustics Pro Series 12" $430 per sub

2. Alpine type R 12" $250 per sub

3. Eclipse 12" SW911 Never heard of them before are they any good??? $600 per sub

Bronze Member
Username: Sploosh56

Post Number: 33
Yes Eclipse are very nice subs. If you have the cash get one or two and I garentee you will be very pleased.

Bronze Member
Username: Stugots

Post Number: 13
Ok so this model SW911 this is the s**t to get eh? hehe

Bronze Member
Username: Sploosh56

Post Number: 37
Yea. You would be the man of your block, no wait, Da man of your city with those subs.

JC
Unregistered guest
I don't know much about the Eclipse subs but I will tell you from experience, Boston Acoustics are HARDCORE. I have 2 measly little 8" subs in a bandpass box and these ROCK. Everyone thinks I have 10's in there. I am not exaggerating. I haven't even maxed them out and they still hit hard. I say go with Boston Acoustics.

Anonymous

how does a type R compare to a shiva? anyone know?

Username: Geolemon

Buffalo, NY USA

Post Number: 1
Very comparable.
Slight edge in performance to the Shiva.
Edge in cosmetics to the Type R. Cast basket is pretty.

Shiva's linear excursion is 16.6mm. That's longer (read: louder) than the Type-R's 13.9mm.

Shiva has a low Fs of 21 Hz. That's lower than the Type-R's 28 hz.

Shiva's Qts is 0.38, which might make you think that the Shiva were a ported box sub if it weren't for it's 21hz Fs, which brings it's EBP to a very either-way 55.
Qts on the Type-R is .43 (indicating a weaker motor), and it's higher Fs give it an EBP of 65, which makes it more of a ported box sub, less suitable to sealed enclosures than the Shiva, but still OK.

The Type-R will work in slightly smaller boxes, something that it trades off reference efficiency to manage (after all, Hoffman's Iron Law states that the following three items are mutually exclusive in a design: 1) high efficiency, 2) low frequency extension, 3) small enclosure size.)

The Shiva can be purchased direct for $125, full warranty.
The Type-R can be had for the $225 you are talking about with a full warranty.. or as low as less than $100 online sans warranty. That's a BIG price to pay for a warranty, IMO. You could fully replace a warrantyless one, and still be $25 ahead in the end. ;)

The Bostons and Eclipses sound nice... (as do hundreds of other subs out there.. it's just an electromagnetic pump after all, you manipulate it's sound via the enclosure design and installation ;)) but there's nothing noteworthy about them. I'd pass.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us