Weird sound from sub... help please

Silver Member
Username: Spivey17323

Dunellen, New jersey United states

Post Number: 324
everytime i turn my music up to like 27 they make this weird noise.idk if its one of the subs or both but im kinda worried. if this has happened to any1 else or if anyone has any suggstions let me know. thanx

Gold Member
Username: Freezeman_7

C.FREE

Post Number: 1735
is it popping wen it hits?

is it scratchy wen u push down on the cone?

Silver Member

Post Number: 325
yea exactly... popping when it hits but only when i turn it up past like 25... idk if its my amp settings or a damaged sub or what. i havent had my r's for that long and im only givin em 500 watts each off a massive p1000 amp. what do u thinks wrong. thanx

Gold Member
Username: Trey4sports

Post Number: 1670
its ur sub. its blown. if it makes a scratching noise when u press down the its blown for sure

Silver Member

Post Number: 326
nah it doesnt make a scratching noise when i push down... it just makes a weird popping sound when the volume is past like 25. damn i hope its not blown. idk i was thinkin mayb its my gain is set to high.

Silver Member
Username: Big_edge_head

Milwaukee, Wisconsin USA

Post Number: 479
check your ground

Silver Member

Post Number: 327
yea i checked that... the ground is fine.

Gold Member
Username: Tremor1127

Fi

Post Number: 2194
could it be bottoming out?

is it loud and do it kinda fast?

Silver Member

Post Number: 328
it is loud. u hear it over the bass. but like i said when its not past 25 its fine. idk if its fast, the sound hits when the bass hits and its at the exact same beat if that makes any sense to you

Gold Member
Username: Adam_s

Post Number: 1858
Gain is probably too high. How did you set it? Are you using any bass boost?

Silver Member

Post Number: 329
yea but only on the amp. like 2db's out of 12. when i set my gaines what i did was turned my music up to like 35 had all the setting turned all the way down then went up slowly frm there and went until i heard any distortion. but i used one of my rap cd's to set it... its probably different with different cd's i guess. so i guess that wasnt so accurate. i dont have a dmm meter thing and dont know how to work one either. so yea probably the gain. i gotta check that out. suggestions?

Gold Member

Fi

Post Number: 2197
are you familiar with the sound of bottoming out?

is it not bottoming out?

thats my guess... its a fucking loud popping noise that happens when the subs voice coil simply goes too far and slaps the bottom of the magnet...

Gold Member
Username: Cenus

Hicksville, Ohio

Post Number: 3444
its either clipping or the sub is bottoming out, either way its caused by having your gain to high, set your gain using an o-scope or dmm.

Silver Member

Post Number: 330
that might be it... i can only hear the sound when im in my car. i just went outside and checked it out. i put my hear like right next to the subs and didnt hear any sound at all. the only sound i heard was clear bass. but when i was in my car i heard the popping noise. which has me thinking mayb its something thats making noise in my trunk or in my backseat. its f*cking anonying as hell though. mayb its just my trunk making mad noise because i dont have any dynomat or edead

Silver Member

Post Number: 332
and nah im not familiar with that sound though

Silver Member

Post Number: 333
if it was bottoming out would i be able to hear it when i listen directly to the subs? Because when i do that i dont hear anything. I only hear it when im in my car. Any1 who ever had there sub bottom out was it like this at all?

Silver Member

Post Number: 334
bump

Gold Member

Hicksville, Ohio

Post Number: 3446
ok this vid sucks majorly but this is what it sounds like when a sub is bottoming out http://youtube.com/watch?v=vUbDX7adrd8

Silver Member

Milwaukee, Wisconsin USA

Post Number: 483
did u make that?

Gold Member

Hicksville, Ohio

Post Number: 3447
maybe

Silver Member

Milwaukee, Wisconsin USA

Post Number: 484
i guess thats a yes

Gold Member
Username: Wingmanalive

A pic is worth 1000 posts!!

Post Number: 9489
808's in space! Good tune!

And that sub sounds like shit.

Gold Member

Fi

Post Number: 2198
its not bottoming out... you hear that from anywhere and everywhere. just imagine the sound, its the voice coil slapping the magnet at like 20-100 times per second...

Silver Member

Post Number: 337
hell no its not doing that lol thanks for all the help guys. yea i guess its just something in the trunk or the backseat because i cant only hear it when im in the car. its probably just when it gets really loud my trunk sounds like sh*t becuase i dont have any dynomat... and when the ttrunk is open i cant hear it so its def. gotta be the trunk. thanx for the help again guys. thats y i love this forum :-)

Silver Member

Post Number: 338
problem solved. under the little slots where my 6x9s are was a loose screw. i guess it was hitting the metal and making that noise. took it out problem solved.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us