I know nothing, speakers with out an amp?

Username: Smokecookies

Post Number: 1
hi, im im very intrested in car audio and im trying to learn as much as possible reading books and internet but cant find anything that is very basic for beginners, but still no very little mainly because i dont know much about sound like Hz, watts, etc. i have a pioneer 6900ub Hu that im gona install in my 1998 crv, i wana get some speakers and some place said they would install 4 kenwood speakers for 200 flat. i dindt ask for specs cuz i know very little. But my question is, i wana get soem speakers but at what price point/and or power of speakers point do i need to consider buying an amplifier for the speakers. i want soem speakers to at least match the power of my stock ones now and match the clarity at least at a minimum too. an help, hope my question makes sence, unfortunatly my experetese is not on automotive and audio, i very much wish it was. Thanks

Silver Member
Username: Big_edge_head

Milwaukee, Wisconsin USA

Post Number: 503
u can get better speakers than kenwood. what kind of speakers are u looking for? alpine type r 6.5s are nice. and u can deff. install speakers yourself dont waste money paying someone else to do it for u. for the back its just a few screws and for the front if u have to take the door off dont be intimidated. its not as hard as it looks

Bronze Member
Username: Paarlberg

Post Number: 29
I have been looking at the eDi 6000s v.2. They are at a good price if you are a member of the 12volt forums. Less than $100 per pair. They can be mounted as either coaxial or components..

I just priced out the following items on their site (using forum discounts)

pair of eDi 6000s v.2
8 inch sub with enclosure
$205 plus shipping.

Add a decent amp to that for about $100 and pay to have it installed and you will be about $400 and have a much better system. If you have some rear speakers already, they can run off the headunit for rear fill. Or you could just replace your speakers with 2 pairs of the 6000s v.2 for $190 plus shipping. Installation is not that bad and probably around $35 per pair.

Without the sub, you won't get the low frequencies, so you might want to look at that route. The 9kv.2 sub at forum discount is only $55, the enclosure is $60 for a single sub and $70 for a dual.

If you can afford to got the sub route with amp and install fees, you would have a nice setup.

Bronze Member
Username: Paarlberg

Post Number: 31
If you can find some Kenwood KFC-X178 (older model) they do well off of a headunit. There are usually some on eBay. They do well on the lower end freqs as well. I have 2 pairs in a Honda Accord wagon and straight off a HU.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us