Please help me upgrade these speakers

Unregistered guest
I have a:
JVC El Kameleon head unit
Bazooka el500 amp
1200Q Audiobahn sub
audiobahn AS6x9 speakers
audioban 5.25

the sub sounds great and really hits hard but the speakers suck. The 6x9's are so-so and the 5.25 are complete garbage. When I turn the system up the sub can take it but the 6x9 get distorted as if im pushing them to hard. 5.25 dont really make a difference. Is it the way the JVC unit is distributing the power, or the lack of power handling, or both? Do I need a mid driver or a crossover? Please give me some suggestions. Thanks

Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 4
It's probably a combination of things. You could try bass blockers for both sets of speakers, as they are cheap. Audiobahn isn't renowned for sound quality, if you want to know the truth, and the quality of components they use is so-so. They tend to die out after a while. The noise you're hearing is clipping from the head unit, and really there is no aftermarket speaker that shouldn't be able to take the continuous power a head unit puts out, but clipping makes distorted sound and destroys speakers, because clipping is a square wave that forces a speaker to max excursion, and the voice coil stays there for too long, when a speaker is not moving, the voice coil can not cool and can burn up. Your options are either to not turn it up so loud or buy an external amp w/ more power. Your equalizer may be set too high as well, don't set the bass to maximum like some people do, really, try not to boost frequencies at all when you can, cut them.

Unregistered guest
Thanks,
So what kind of speakers do you suggest for 5.25 and 6x9? And do average electronic stores sell bass blockers?

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 3084
I concur on the bass-blockers for fronts and rears.
make sure the sub has a low-pass filter on the amp or sub as well, set to about 80Hz.
you'll want the bass-blockers at about 150Hz high-pass.

Look at Infinity Reference or Kappa depending on your budget for new components.
a real car audio shop will have the filters you need, yes.
places like best buy may not.

Bronze Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 13
If you're not totally against it, you could also get the Reference component set, you can find them online for about $120. Theyre nice, especially for the money, and you don't really need 6x9's since you already have subs. They run pretty well off of a head unit, too, due to their sensitivity.

d
Unregistered guest
Thanks for the help im gonna start looking into this stuff today
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us