New Alt?

Bronze Member
Username: Iamduff_87

Michigan America!

Post Number: 11
I have a 1993 Nissan Maxima. Stock Alt i would believE (used). I am going to be putting in a new rockford fosgate amp. 300Watt RMS for subs. Would i able to hooke up and old Rockford Amp. I think 75RMS x 2?? Not sure about the old one but its not big. WOuld i need a new alternator for that settup ? Thanks

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 3064
try the amp first.
if voltage rails sag, then yeah, look at a bigger alternator.
if your lights don't dim and such, you're fine.

Bronze Member

Michigan America!

Post Number: 13
ok and if it is a 2 channel amp could i hook that up to 4 speakers or just 2? if i can only hook up 2 then is there any way to combine the 4 outputs of the headunit to the remaining 2 speakers? if so how would i wire that? thanks GW

-Duff

Anonymous

one of my friends has a car just like that with a 600 watt RMS system in it and he has not had to do anything with his alternator. with only that much power i don't think you will need a new a alternator unless that one is almost gone. you some be fine just be sure to use a good wiring kit.

Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 3
A lot of cars come with high output alternators to start with, especially ones with power everything, sunroofs, factory amps, etc. My amp is 400W RMS on subs and 65x2 on components in a factory Toyota Camry and the alternator doesn't flinch, your Nissan shouldn't be too much different. It also depends on the aggressiveness of the user. To be twice as loud, an amplifier draws 10x the current.

Anonymous

Oh, and you can hook a 2 channel to 4 speakers if they're 4 ohms (almost all speakers are, it's subs that have different impedance) but if you're talking front and rear, I wouldn't recommend it because the rear will be getting the same as the front, pulling the soundstage back.

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 3078
if you do really want to run front and rear on one pair of amp channels though, you can use L-Pad circuits to attenuate the rear fill, and there are relay circuits that can convert stereo to mono for rears too, but its much easier to do with a 4 channel amp that just has a mono switch for rear channels or running rear channels bridged, with the rear fill speakers in series.

anyway if you want rear fill at all in a SQ system, you want the rears to be substantially quieter, and mono.

Bronze Member

Michigan America!

Post Number: 16
ok so run the front speakers off of the amp and the reat off of the head unit? that would be sending more power to the front speakers and less to the rear.

i think that is what you are trying to say. if not please inform me. Thanks

-Duff

Bronze Member

Michigan America!

Post Number: 17
and the amp i want to use on 2 of the speakers is an old RF Punch 60ix . 30RMS x 2 @ 4ohm. Which speakers should i hook up to this? Both the front and back are Alpine 6.5 Coaxials. Im planning on hooking a high pass crossover on both sets set at 150 front and 300 back... sound like a good idea?

Thanks

-Duff

Bronze Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 12
Running an amp for the fronts and rears off the head unit will work, especially if you're on a budget. (I did this in my Camry, my first system, all others including my current car didn't have rear fill) 30x2 won't be a lot louder than the head unit, so you might want to cut the power to the rear channels through the fader. The biggest thing is not to let the head unit clip the speakers if you're pushing the volume up really high. They won't be mono, though. Do you have subs? If you don't, try to find 100hz. The amp should have a high pass built in. Don't cross over the rears too high, 100-150 should do it. Also, you shouldn't cross over a front set higher than the rear, it sounds weird and pulls the bass to the back.

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 3109
sounds good duff.
the amp should give you about +3dB to teh fronts compared to the rears.. if your head unit puts out about 15 watts per ch.

Bronze Member

Michigan America!

Post Number: 20
its an old unupgraided JVC 35x4 MAX... not sure the RMS output on that old guy :-( was in the car when i bought it

planning on getting a new headunit ... not to worried about the power output since i have the fronts on the amp. im just looking for a good HU not to pricy that has mp3/good EQ/amp outputs for subs and front/and if not to pricy has built in crossovers. does anyone have any idea of a HU that can do most of that for not more than 200 . thanks.

also i didnt wire the speakers in my car i used the existing wires. how do i run speaker wire from the amp in the trunk to the speakers in the front 2 doors? its a 93 maxima. thanks

-Duff

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 3137
a used alpine CDA-9813

factory wiring is fine

Bronze Member

Michigan America!

Post Number: 21
ok the factory wiring is fine to the back speakers but how do i run the speaker wire from the amp in the trunk to the 2 6.5s in the doors ? should i just remove the rears or leave them for rear fill and rear passengers? thanks

-duff

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 3165
rear speakers are fine if ya have people in the back seats a lot who want to listen to music.

Bronze Member

Michigan America!

Post Number: 22
ok so now how do i run wire from the trunk to the front 2 doors because i want to give those speakers more power from the amp and run the rears off the headunit

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 3176
either run speaker wiring from the amp to the factory wiring behind the head unit, or from amp to the kick panels in front, and then through the door gromets and into the front doors.
either way will work
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us