Fi or RD?

Silver Member
Username: Mercsable

Kalamazoo, MI USA

Post Number: 153
As I was looking for for a BL or BTL, a guy on this forum tried to convince me that I should get an RD alpha instead? Im started to go in that direction, but I am wonder what other people think is the better choice?

Silver Member
Username: Theweasel

2 12 FI SSD, Colorado U.S. of A

Post Number: 994
how many watts are you running?

Bronze Member
Username: Bumpin_buick

Appleton, Wisconsin USA

Post Number: 31
BLs are crazy sick, i would say stick with your first gut intsinct but its ur money.

Silver Member
Username: Jtown

Post Number: 240
I've had both, I would say RD

Silver Member

Post Number: 997
1700wrms and below--- FI BL
1700w-2300w--- RD Alpha
2300w+ --- FI BTL

FI wins in price though-
for 15" models:

FI BL- 280 shipped, 350 with neccesary options
RD ALpha- 420$
FI BTL- 380

Silver Member

Post Number: 242
quality:
RD>Fi

Silver Member

Post Number: 998
how so? i haven't heard of anyone having major problems with FI. the only problem is some tinsel slap which is usually a result of misuse. i.e. playing loud below tuning frequency. even if there is a problem it can easily be fixed.

Silver Member
Username: Tatonka

Post Number: 774
"the only problem is some tinsel slap which is usually a result of misuse"

Tinsel slap is not always caused by miss-use. I know plenty of people that ran reccomended RMS, reccomended enclosures, and solid clean power, and still developed tinsel slap. I am one of them. My opinion, go RD.

Gold Member
Username: 420alldaylong

Post Number: 2512
I have never seen any problems/Tinsel slap with Fi subs(personally) but I am starting to here more and more problems something to think about.

Silver Member

Post Number: 999
never had a problem here on either my friends Q or my 2 ssd's

Silver Member

Post Number: 243
I've been hearing of alot more problems lately, not just tinsel slap. In my experience, I ran recommended rms, recommended enclosure; although I didn't get any tinsel slap in the 1 hour or so that I used the speaker, it did ultimately stop working completely. Long story short it sounded good the first ~30 min I used it. Turned the vehicle back on and the sub just never sounded the same. I swapped out everything before determining I had to send it back and before ordering a new sub i.e. wiring, HUs, amps. Before I put the new speaker in, I tested the Fi on a 1 ohm load then a 4 ohm load, both had the same result: no sound/movement.

Silver Member

Post Number: 1000
" tested the Fi on a 1 ohm load then a 4 ohm load, both had the same result: no sound/movement."

shouldn't matter. if it had no sound or movement it is probably not the speaker. if it was blown it would still make sound. the only thing i can think of is if one of the voice coils is not hooked up or the terminals broke off or something.

Silver Member

Post Number: 244
well whatever the problem is, "it" is the speaker, seeing as how I have a V1 in its place, same amp, same HU, same wiring, and there is a lot of sound coming out of it.
BTW what part of CO do you live in?

Gold Member
Username: Trey4sports

Post Number: 1660
RD>Fi

evan did a drop in from a 12" btl on 4K to a 12" alpha V1 on half the power, and only lost 1.4DB

Gold Member
Username: Wingmanalive

A pic is worth 1000 posts!!

Post Number: 9464
FI has always been the best value. I ran a Mag and a Q with very close results. Very different price tags as well. And it always takes awhile for ppl to discover flaws in design/performance. They will find flaws in RD as well someday. It's part of evolution.

From what I've seen more ppl have raved about FI than complained. Seems tho that they may already be due for a new line dare I say?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1664
i agree fi is a very good brand. and yes there will be flaws found in most drivers not seen in the beginning (DD's 4 spoke basket) *laughs*

Silver Member

Post Number: 251
Until my sub is repaired, I won't comment on flaws and how the company goes about correcting the flaw(s)

Gold Member

Post Number: 1001
i live in steamboat springs Thieves. where do you live?

Gold Member
Username: Nyyfan13

Fi SSD USA

Post Number: 5868
no tinsel slap here....

Gold Member
Username: Skibum12189

Cleveland

Post Number: 1472
IMO Fi subs are wayyy better looking than RD subs and we all know thats what counts.....

i had 2 12" ssd's off a kicker zx1500 and never had any tinsel slap....never had any problems at all for that matter....

Silver Member

Post Number: 255
I used to live up in Fort Collins up until this past july...that was g@y

I had no tinsel slap, but then again for some reason my sub didn't last long enough for me to hear any...it slowly just died. IMO, RD, at least the lower models/older models look better than Fi. I like the RD logo on the speaker, as well as the color.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1003
did you ever get a nice whiff of Greely on a windy day... lol.

i had a friend that went to poudre high school, his name his Richie Keith. another friend that goes to fort collins high, Beau Rice. have you heard of them?

Silver Member

Post Number: 258
Ahhh, the Greeley winds, I definitely remember those. Especially since we didn't have AC so we had to leave the windows open at night to keep everything cool, and then came the Greeley winds.lol

Beau maybe, but not Richie Rich

Gold Member

Post Number: 1004
it is definately a unique smell. that of rotting flesh and thousands of pounds of piss and Schit

Silver Member

Post Number: 260
you ever driven through greeley? You notice all the dust? its not dust....lol....they burn the blood on like wednesdays or something, the "dust" is like blood ash.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1005
i spent 6 days there about 2 weeks ago. i did notice one day it was really bad... you mean there is blood ash floating around? how is that legal?

Silver Member

Kalamazoo, MI USA

Post Number: 155
Again I ask...what does it mean to play it below tuning?? no one will answer me. Is it that stupid of a question that no one will answer it?

Gold Member
Username: Basssquared

Kansas

Post Number: 1209
you play 10 hz tones on a sub that can only safely go down to 20 hz

Gold Member
Username: Extrmndor3

Post Number: 6654
is this thread for real???

fi anyday

Gold Member
Username: Basssquared

Kansas

Post Number: 1211
you play 10 hz tones on a sub that can only safely go down to 20 hz

Gold Member
Username: Johnfiac

A-ToWn, 9515 thumpin... What u bumpin?

Post Number: 3442
PLaying a sub at lower tuning then what its made for makes the sub get to much excursion and thermal temperatures get higher since its not moving fast enough to keep it cooled.

Gold Member
Username: Johnfiac

A-ToWn, 9515 thumpin... What u bumpin?

Post Number: 3443
If you looking for a SQL sub ive heard the RD ALpha is better but ive also heard the BL (SPL oriented) is better then the Q (SQL Oriented) so if money isnt the problem id say Aplha... i havnt messed with either tho.

Silver Member

Post Number: 261
I don't know if it's legal, but I know that's what the deal is. And the main reason we got the Greeley winds in FoCo is cause of that d@mn train, it brings and drops off manure amongst other things, all day, every d@mn day.

I really really like the Alpha I have, I've been thinking about getting another, but don't have the money or charging system for it.
But seriously contact Steve Miller, I'm sure he will work with you to get the best price. Or even Kevin Holden.

Silver Member

Kalamazoo, MI USA

Post Number: 156
Does the tuning of the box have anything to do with over excursion of the sub?

Gold Member

Post Number: 6656
yes........... alil but yes........

Gold Member

Post Number: 1008
if your box is tuned to 35hz then playing things 30 hz and below will over excurt the sub

Gold Member

Post Number: 6657
IT will make the box act like it was in free air

Silver Member
Username: Denim

Www.TeamSSAudio.com, MD

Post Number: 427
Look towards the BTL or the BL, and option it up to your liking and install. Very few in the industry give you the choice of what you want your driver to be comprised of, and it is built to order. Not to mention if you are super worried about the tinsel leads, go with the BL and get the extreme leads option.

Gold Member
Username: Showrides

Hartford, CT USA

Post Number: 1045
craig RR, if you want to talk to me about it Showridesnet is my aim screename. I am an RD Audio dealer, so I can help answer any questions you may have regarding RD. Also, feel free to ask some people over at ROE, or Car Audio Forum what they think of FI subs. Plenty of people use them at both those forums, and a lot more people there have expieriance I believe than people on Ecoustics. Even though there are a few on here with FI subs.

And the guys at ROE have a LOT of expieriance with RD, not to mention there is a guy on there now that just switched his BTL out for an Alpha. So I am sure he could give you some good information as well.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1010
showrides and denim battle it out for...
The Ultimate Marketing Competition!}}}

Silver Member
Username: Denim

Www.TeamSSAudio.com, MD

Post Number: 428
ryan, this is not Marketing, just plain facts. I don't make a penny when a BTL or BL is sold.

Gold Member
Username: Drivingreckless

DD 9515f, 148.2 db Mov...

Post Number: 4036
showrides sell RD so of course hes gunna recommend it :-\

an excuse that might come up is...
of course its a good woofer i wouldnt sell it if it was....

then why not sell dd treo RE ect

Gold Member
Username: Drivingreckless

DD 9515f, 148.2 db Mov...

Post Number: 4037
"i wouldnt sell it if it wasNT.... "

Silver Member

Post Number: 264
I thought low-hz sold RE and SI?

Gold Member
Username: Showrides

Hartford, CT USA

Post Number: 1057
I do sell RE and SI.

And if you look I didn't market anything. I just told the original poster where he could talk to people with unbiased first hand expieriance. I could tell him my thoughts, but I didn't think he would care since I do sell RD.

Gold Member
Username: Freezeman_7

C.FREE

Post Number: 1734
well... ive ownd FI ssd's and i ordered some Elites... i should be able to tell who makes the better sub. i loved my ssds, but i didnt give them the power they needed and put them in a sealed box... my rd's are going to be put in a ported. with the right cuft. so it wont be much of a comparison. but i hate to do tihs... but i am.... RD>fi

Gold Member
Username: Ctmike

Ct.

Post Number: 5012
so you only heard the ssds' and the elites?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1669
bottom line= both make good subs

in reality: if a NOOB switched out an ssd and a sonance wouldnt tell that big of a diffrence. the woofer itself isnt the biggest part of the equation

Silver Member

Kalamazoo, MI USA

Post Number: 157
Well after all this..I have ordered my 18" RD alpha. I will make a video once it arrives and say what I think. I am upgrading from 2 15" Rockford Fosgate T1's, so I hope this 18 will be better than those 2 15s
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us