Car audio help

Username: Awskeetskeet

Post Number: 1
hey guys
i just have some questions on car audio, im trying to understand everything better but its still confusing to me

first of all, is buying subs and an amp first ALRIGHT? will it sound good even with the factory installed headunit and speakers??

or is it better to start first by upgrading the headunit then speakers then subs and amps

also, i dont understand all the power supply stuff on subs and amps, like say i pick out 2, 12" apline 4ohm subs....

how would i have any idea what kind of amp to buy to match these subs? can anyone help me out.. im just confused

thanks alot

Gold Member
Username: Blainew

Post Number: 2560
pick out the subs you want first....then post them here and we will tell you what amp to get....

buy the subs and amps, and head unit if possible first...

speakers last

u mnight as well buy a head unit when you install your subs and amp..it will be tons easier

Gold Member
Username: Ctmike

Ct.

Post Number: 4991
i'd start from the front of the car back. to include the electrical system if planning on running alot of power.

to see what vc subs wire down to go here, both sites have wiring guides to help you out:
www.rockfordfosgate.com
www.jlaudio.com

some good sites to read to learn from:
www.bcae1.com
www.12volt.com

Silver Member
Username: B3n07

Louisville, Ky USA

Post Number: 220
ok the first thing to always upgrade i dont care what any body says is the headunit and the stock speakers. ( factory is almost always crap) then you buy your bigger stuff like Subs and amps. And the whole powering thing is pretty easy after you get to know it ok. SO you said you wanted to buy 2 12" alpines ok first off you have to know how many watts the can handle contiuniesly or other wised know as RMS. ok then you match the ohms you wanted to put the subs at because with amps and subs theres different wiring methods to use to get differnt ohm loads
use this to figure that out http://www.the12volt.com/caraudio/woofer_configurations.asp. ok then after you know the ohm load just match ohm load to the rms on and amp and your set. just dont under power your subs that will be very bad in the end

Silver Member

Louisville, Ky USA

Post Number: 221
sorry when i posted i didnt see anyone else post sorry

Gold Member

Post Number: 2563
why buy new speakers when the headunit may make them sound good enough?

Post Number: 2
i really appreciate everyones replies and links, im going to go through all of the sites tonight and read up, but yeah i guess ill get the HU first, but does anyone agree that blaine has a point? would the head unit make the factory speakers soudn good enough or would i have to go ahead and buy new speakers? thanks alot guys.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2565
i agree with myself for this reason.....

had a jeep.... it had badddd speakers...bought a pioneer cheap head unit....made the speakers sound 100 times better

have a pickup truck... from 2000, pioneer head unit...the stock speakers sound sweet

now.... u can buy the speakers before u hear the stock speakers on a head unit.....but then u really would base your speaker purchase on nothing....

if u wait...listen to how ur stock speakers sound...u can at least guage how good of new speakers u want to buy.....

im tellin ya man...speakers last

Post Number: 4
u brought up a damn good point

thx man ill prolly get the speakers last now cuz it makes more sense..

so im guessing you have stock speakers and it sounds fine with your headunit and subs/amp?

Gold Member

Post Number: 2566
well i had stock speakers.... they sounded fine to me..but then i workded at circuit city and bought good speakers for VERy cheap....

but honestly i have heard so many systems and so many speakers... that for the money..alpine type S's win

they sound sooo good especially for how cheap they are...

but yeah..get the speakers last..a head unit and subs will be SUCH an improvement that you will be happy for a while with that, and u can buy the speakers when u want somethin new

Post Number: 5
also how much would an average pioneer head unit cost me... and how much would an above average cost me :D

Post Number: 6
thx, ill look into alpine type S's after i get my headunit and subs/amp

Gold Member

Post Number: 2567
u can get a good one for 150-200

u can get one of the best for $280

pioneer premier DEH780MP...

whenever i give anyone advice on car audio....its to buy that head unit....phenomenal

Post Number: 7
aight man i really appreciate the help

thanks all

Bronze Member
Username: Circa09skater

Post Number: 46
or just the pioneer DEH7800MP, which i have, its the same exact HU just with out the premier name and i agree with blaine, it's phenomenal

Bronze Member
Username: Circa09skater

Post Number: 47
pioneer DEH-P7800MP**

Silver Member

Louisville, Ky USA

Post Number: 222
you could even get one cheaper than that if you didnt care what year it was just do a search on ebay for them

Post Number: 8
yeah i checked that deck out it looks really nice and all but its like 250 so for now im just lookin for a like 160 dollar one
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us