Seeking audio advice (jl amps, boston amp, etc.)

Username: Go_noles

Post Number: 1
this is my first post so bare with me. thanks in advance...

my car/audio profile: '95 nissan pathfinder, '98 alpine 3da-w882 head unit, 2 pairs of '02 boston pro .5 (5 1/4) components

i did have an alpine mrv-f407 running the pro's and a jl 12 w7 in a custom sealed box with a jl 1000/1 running it.

unfortunately that is no more. both amps, the box, and the sub were stolen about a year ago. sadly i have had no sound in my car since (bitter much? i think so.)

on the bright side (to me at least) they left the head unit and components. so here is what i need to know:

1. i am deciding between a boston gt40 and a jl 300/4 to run the components. i have not yet heard either but have heard rave reviews of both. any advice here?

2. i am making a concious decision to step down from the 12 w7 and am thinking about going with a 10w6v2 in the jl prebuilt sealed box (cvs110rg-w6v2 to be exact.) it is either that or put the 10w6v2 in a custom built sealed box (the shop i am working with can build some great boxes.) any advice between the two?

3. keep in mind i am not looking to "compete." i just want solid sql and moderate spl. understanding this, i am looking at potentially running whichever box i decide to go with with a jl 500/1 or 250/1. would i be potentially losing too much by going with the 250/1? will the 500/1 drown out the components?

if you read all of this THANK YOU. i really appreciate it. any feedback?

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 3056
the 300/4 for components, and 500/1 for a 12W6v2.
that'd work fine, and be the best setup. use whichever box you feel better with in the SUV.
first however, I would invest in an alarm system.
I can't believe you had well over two grand in good equipment sitting in plain sight without an alarm the first time.
I really hope you had full coverage insurance on that.

Username: Go_noles

Post Number: 2
glass - thanks for the reply. as for the security system, don't worry, i have one. the equipment was stolen from a car dealership that i left the vehicle at overnight. insurance and the company's ownership took care of me, though. the vehicle was either left unlocked (alarm disarmed) or the intruder had the keys because there was no sign of forced entry whatsoever.

the 12w6v2 may be too much bass for me and i also like the trunk space that the 10 would allow. the difference is very minimal but it is just a personal thing i guess.

glass or anyone - any more suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 3063
I'd still go sealed box if space is important and peak SPL isn't.

that blows about the dealership. I had a car towed from an accident once and it was mysteriously stripped between the accident site and the auto body shop.
Gee, I wonder who it was.
Then I found out the towing company the cops called had a reputation for taking cars out of the county and stripping them.
Gotta love that BS.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us