HU Settings

Silver Member
Username: Kaprese

Walstonburg, NC USA

Post Number: 403
Alright I have my system hooked-up my amp gains are set perfect.....ok question I don't have a HU with crossovers and all I have a basic JVC HU so how high should I EVER turn the bass eq. up mines goes from -6 to +6 so does this mean since I set it at( Bass - 0) I should never turn it past zero

Silver Member

Walstonburg, NC USA

Post Number: 404
another off topic Q: If you have a ported sub box would sound travel further if you face the subs into cabin ?

Silver Member
Username: Philly306

North carolina

Post Number: 293
"another off topic Q: If you have a ported sub box would sound travel further if you face the subs into cabin ?"

stop worrying about how loud its gonna be outside

Gold Member
Username: Bernymac

BME

Post Number: 3225
"stop worrying about how loud its gonna be outside"

Uhhh, I think he meant will it be louder if he faced the subs into the cabin as opposed to away from it (facing the rear).

To answer your question Joshua, the best thing to do is try it. Although I'm sure you'll like it faced to the rear as opposed to in the cabin. The sound will reflect off of the back.

Gold Member
Username: Bernymac

BME

Post Number: 3226
I keep my bass eq at 0

Silver Member
Username: Philly306

North carolina

Post Number: 299
i thought he meant how loud outside when he asked which way would sound travel farther as in outside
but maybe not

Silver Member

Walstonburg, NC USA

Post Number: 405
alright because I wasn't sure if you could turn your bass in the + range without gaining distrortion like (+1,+2)and to stay away from blown my subs and amp

Bronze Member
Username: Sqcheap

Grand rapids, Michigan Usa

Post Number: 79
How did you set the gains? It all depends some cheaper HUs you can't max out anyway or it distorts everything. I set the gains so I can crank it to about 2/3 on HU and it is about maxed. I leave the bass at 0 or near that, whatever sounds good sometimes it affects the midbass so you may have it one way or the other a little. Then I just use it to dial the bass up/down for whatever CD I have in since they all seem to be at different levels. As far as distortion I use my ears, or you could have it checked at a stereo place for clipping unless thats how you had it set to start with....if you did then yes cranking the bass way up will make it break up just like a boost on an amp will. It will go only so loud no matter if you use bass, volume, or a bass boost to crank it up.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 80
All that mostly applies to when you have it playing really loud.

Placement depends on the car and subs...listener too . By all means experiment with it. I tend to like them facing back and the box closer to the back if I can.

Silver Member

Walstonburg, NC USA

Post Number: 407
alright thanks

Bronze Member

Post Number: 84
If you want to check your HU and don't use deck power, just turn the amp gains way down. Then turn the HU to about 2/3rds, and turn the amps up so it plays normal not loud so you can listen real close. Then max the HU out with it playing not real loud....if you hear it distort and get fuzzy, then try to determine at what volume it does that. Then set the HU below that, like maybe 10-15% of your total numbers below. So if your HU went 1-50 in volume and distorts so you can just hear it at 36 and over...then set it at 30 (15% of 50 is 7.5 and 10% is 5, so say 36 minus 6=30) It should be clean at 30...so then set the amps to max out at 30 and don't go over 30 on the HU ever unless you have a CD with a low recording level or something. Roughly, that is how to set it clean by ear. Another nice thing is if you have volume buttons the volume goes up/down faster that way. Right now I only use about half my alpine's volume just because of that, but I hate button volume controls too.

Silver Member

Walstonburg, NC USA

Post Number: 414
Thanks for the info everyone I think I have everything str8 as far as settings but I will be getting me a EQ. soon off ebay

Silver Member
Username: Big_edge_head

Milwaukee, Wisconsin USA

Post Number: 471
with my experience testing the sub facing directions ive found that subs back port back is the loudest over subs and port firing into the cabin. if u have the trunk sealed off with the subs and port firing into the cabin its about 3db higher than when its not sealed but with the subs back and port back its like 2db louder than having the subs firing into the cabin sealed.

those were just results of my little testing. i did it with the same song playing and with a crappy boom stick. but eh, its just for stuff like this. and its diff. with every car

Silver Member
Username: Jtown

Post Number: 246
yeah a lot of people like subs back port back, and port on driver side, it's supposed to be louder but necessarily too audible to the ear. I have my bass set around +2 to +3, but I also have a subwoofer control and BBE on my HU. My gains are set ~1/2

Silver Member
Username: Big_edge_head

Milwaukee, Wisconsin USA

Post Number: 473
u should set the gains with the bass at zero. some might argue about this, but i keep my loudness on cause it just dosent sound right without it, and with it on everything has been fine, if u do it right then your good. oh, my ports on the passengers side but i never tried flipping the box upside down so ill have to try that sometime.

Silver Member
Username: Jtown

Post Number: 247
sorry, yeah I set my gains with the bass at -7, subwoofer at +7(it goes 0-15). I just like the lil extra kick I get with +2 to +3 on the bass control. But definitely set your gains with the bass as low as it will go.
I've never tried it with port on the passenger side, so I don't know for sure, that's just what I've heard from a few people(louder on driver's side).
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us