Batt In Back

Bronze Member
Username: Santa_fe

Post Number: 49
Ok me and my brother were arguing that if i put a batt in the back if it would out more strain on the Alt...I told him that it would...but he insists it wont.....Am i right in thinking that it will??

Silver Member
Username: Tatonka

Post Number: 765
I run a spare battery in the back with a stock 105 amp alt. It actully helped voltage to where at idle im at least 13.8v with music all the way up.

Bronze Member
Username: Santa_fe

Post Number: 51
how do i check the amps on my alt....and dang so i owe him money then

Silver Member

Post Number: 766
Check the specs on your car on the internet somewhere, that's what i did.

Silver Member
Username: Somedonniedude

Post Number: 127
Hey nick what kind of batteries do you have in your car? Do you have the big 3? I was thinkin about putting a sec batt in my trunk but wasnt sure on a stock alt but now i have hope!!!

Silver Member

Post Number: 769
I did Big 3, and I got a interstate normal battery up front, then in the back I have a Interstate Workaholic.

Bronze Member
Username: Trevor_r

Bastrop, L.A Us

Post Number: 17
i did the same thing nick did we have the same setup battery wise we use 2 have all the same lol works nice with voltage good luck with it lol

Platinum Member
Username: James1115

Use a simple...

Post Number: 10277
Hey nick you won the bet my friend. yes if your alt has to charge another battery and keep it up at 14.4 volts it will indeed put a strain on your alternator.

Platinum Member

Use a simple...

Post Number: 10278
or santa fe man you won the bet not nick my bad.

Bronze Member
Username: Sqcheap

Grand rapids, Michigan Usa

Post Number: 77
I don't know for sure, but I would think it would be better for your alternator. What I'm told is the peaks hit the alternator hardest when the battery can't keep up, and with two batteries you have twice the reserve as one....twice the buffer to keep a really high draw from hitting the alternator (when it dies back and car is running). I know your system will work better with two if you are having low power issues, no doubt there.

Gold Member
Username: Trey4sports

Post Number: 1649
ive heard lots of people split on the issue. my personal experience is that it helps voltage issues. SQ ^ hit it on the head on the batts acting as a buffer. When your also not alternator is not supplying current for your stereo, it can charge up the batts so you have a little more reserve

Platinum Member

Use a simple...

Post Number: 10303
www.bcae1.com go read up boys

Bronze Member
Username: Sqcheap

Grand rapids, Michigan Usa

Post Number: 82
About all I find is that spikes will kill them, like if you run a car without a battery.

The more you draw current at/over the max output of an alternator the more it is a 'spike'.

I had a friend years back with 5 amps all class ab. He had at the time the biggest alternator of 90 amps. He put a big battery in back and it played nice (car running) for a song maybe two at full tilt...then died back. He put a second battery in back and it played a few songs full bore no problem. The car was running and that is what happened. I contend the batteries supplied the extra power for bass notes/etc, and when they were drained down all that was left was the alternator that could not keep up. Two batteries in back and the stock one, all new diehards, that was enough for his use. He would turn it down and let it charge before he rolled down the strip again that he cruised on. That was also at night with lights on.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us