Battery Install

Silver Member
Username: Kaprese

Walstonburg, NC USA

Post Number: 392
How do you install a battery in the trunk for your car audio system I have a Deep cycle battey and want to run my amp off it (400rms) would it be like :

1. + from battery to amp
2. - from battery to amp

if the it is wired like this it's almost like self charging right or would I have to run a + wire from car battery to battery in trunk. CAn someone clear this up for me give me a step by step list.

Gold Member
Username: Andrew571

Stillwater/Edmond, Oklahoma USA

Post Number: 1157
well, usually u want both batteries to be 'drycells'.

secondly, You need to do a positive run from the front battery to the back battery(ies). Then a positive run from the back battery to the amp (short run).

After this, ground all batteries to the chassis and groud the amp also to the chassis.

its EZ

Silver Member

Walstonburg, NC USA

Post Number: 393
Do you think I could do this with a stock Alt or will it eventually kill 1 or both batteries I drive a Saturn SL2 and would the trunk battery pull from the front battery causing the front to die

Silver Member

Walstonburg, NC USA

Post Number: 394
I think my alt is 90amps but my car has like 125,000 mile so I am not sure

Gold Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

Post Number:...

Post Number: 4309
If you're only running 400 RMS you should be fine on a stock alt and battery.

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 6421
If you're still running on the original stock alternator, then it'd be a good idea to install an isolator.
The odds are, your battery and alternator will die soon. That's just how it goes. All things die after prolonged usage.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4325
Screw isolators.

Gold Member

Post Number: 6422
In an older cars with original battery and alternator, an isolator can be very useful. For example, if your starter dies, you can use the aux battery to start it using a jumper cable. Because it's isolated from the starter, it won't get drained. After 125k of miles, there's high probability that it will go soon. Nothing like having a backup. There's also no need to replace the starter battery either. If it's working then use it. We don't need to pollute the landfill any further.

Silver Member

Walstonburg, NC USA

Post Number: 396
alright I will first try and get me a optima battery up front since then I want risk I be chance of F*** up my alt and battery

Gold Member

Post Number: 4334
There are signs that your alternator or battery is dying or near death and they're fairly simple to notice before it gets to the point of where you're stranded.It happens to people that know nothing about cars all the time though or are just not very observant.

Gold Member

Post Number: 6425
Rob, your statements are not accurate. As I have mentioned before, a voltmeter alone is not enough to determine the state of a battery/alternator.
It has nothing to do with being a noob either.
For someone with experience, you sure say lot of irratic statements.

Since you sound like an expert on battery and alternator symtoms, let me give you an example.
If in your car, a voltmeter showed 12.5v - 12.9v with engine off, 13.2v - 14.4v with engine on, no problem starting. It would then randomly show 13v - 14v once every 7 - 10 days. What do you think is the issue? Please state how you could detect "clear signs" using your methods.
I'm sure all the noobs are dying to know.

Silver Member
Username: Boomtank

Rochester, NY USA

Post Number: 345
with only 400wrms your problably better off just putting the deep cycle battery up front replacing your old one.

If you want do a big 3 with 4 gauge wire, and run a good 4 gauge wire from you batt back to the amp.

if your really worried get a new OEM alt for your car... should cost about 100 bucks. then with the deep cycle batt you should have no worries with 400 watts.

Gold Member

Post Number: 6426
Eddy, why would you get an OEM alternator for $100, when HO alternators start from $139?

Gold Member

Post Number: 4345
"What do you think is the issue? Please state how you could detect "clear signs" using your methods.
I'm sure all the noobs are dying to know."

A good charging system is consistent.When there are fluctuactions as described above there's obviously a problem.Like I said Isaac they're easily noticeable but then again...people these days would probably be negligent on something like that,half the people out there run their cars into the ground,not maintaining them at all and not being responsible as a motorist.Then they're there on the side of the road stranded when that could have been avoided most of the time.

Gold Member

Post Number: 6427
Rob, the example I gave you, is not clearly detectable. That fluctuation could be caused by the amp/heater or anything else that sucks up lot of current. So for most people, there is no way they can tell if it's battery/alternator/ground/cable/short problem. You can measure the voltage everywhere, and it'll always show the correct reading.
FYI, the problem was with alternator. It produced the voltage under normal condition, meaning driving, braking and starting. However, if you applied anything that used up lot of current (20A - 30A), it dropped voltage to 12.5v. This is something you can't "monitor" nor guess.
It's easy to say that problems like this only happen to noobs, but as you can see, even the pros would've had tough time figuring out.
Voltage alone is not the solution, nor a great indicator.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4347
"However, if you applied anything that used up lot of current (20A - 30A), it dropped voltage to 12.5v"

20 to 30 amps is a lot of current?Not even close.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4348
"FYI, the problem was with alternator. It produced the voltage under normal condition, meaning driving, braking and starting.
It's easy to say that problems like this only happen to noobs, but as you can see, even the pros would've had tough time figuring out.
Voltage alone is not the solution, nor a great indicator."

That wasn't very clear to me Isaac.Especially the following part:

"However, if you applied anything that used up lot of current (20A - 30A), it dropped voltage to 12.5v. This is something you can't "monitor" nor guess."

Actually...you could easily see what's causing the fluctuations if that was the case.If your voltage is dropping or lights are dimming upon peak times in music through the car audio system then you obviously need a stronger alt but I'm not too sure on what you were saying so...It's funny how we always get into these debates because you recommend what I think is somewhat useless in a car audio system and that's an isolator.If you run your batts to the point of where they're dead you more than likely damage either A-The amplifier or B-The subwoofer(s).

Silver Member
Username: Jesse59672

OKLAHOMA

Post Number: 515
how about you run a charging system test and then you'll know wtf is wrong. i agree though, there isn't always signs of a alternator about to sh!t out on you. sometimes its apparent but other times it just craps out.

Gold Member

Post Number: 6428
Rob, I gave you all the "signs" that occured. What I didn't tell you right away were the "answers."
I never tried to argue with you in the first place. Look at all my posts. It was you contradicting me on everything. So I replied back saying, you can't blame noobs for all the problems, AND sometimes, it's just not possible to detect faults just by "monitoring" voltages.
I'm not on here to put down people nor start fights. I only correct or say my 2 cents worth, when people post that's not true or way off topic.
Before you take it the wrong way, read my posts carefully. When people face problems, they don't have the options of knowing the solution before hand. The scenario I described, is perfectly legit. That is why I asked you HOW you would've solved/diagnosed it using your methods. After all, it's not the first time you said "they're fairly simple to notice " and "It happens to people that know nothing about cars all the time."

I'm saying that's not true. It can happen to anyone.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4354
"I never tried to argue with you in the first place."

It's not an arguement.We've kept it civil :-)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us