Box tuning and volume question?

Bronze Member
Username: Press1

Yuba City, CA USA

Post Number: 81
1. If I use a slotted port, do I calculate the volume that the port is going to take up and make the box that much bigger?

2. If I tune a box to 30hz, will it not play below that level, and how high can I expect it to play...50hz, 100hz?

3. I have my 2 12" in a sealed box right now, but everyone says to go ported to go louder, will I be compromising sq? If so, how much.

This is my daily vehicle.

Thanks.

Bronze Member
Username: Imnothereimjustvisiting

Post Number: 82
1. yes, remember the .75 in added to the port width bc of the wood for the port.

2. tuning 30 hz will give u nice lows... set ur subsonic filter to 20-24hz somewhere in that area. so yes it will play under that.

3. ive always liked a ported box... i think in a nice ported box u wont loose sq thats jmo tho

Bronze Member

Yuba City, CA USA

Post Number: 82

I don't know if this will look right, but if it does, above would be the side view of the slotted port, and below the short line would be the inside of the enclosure, and the long line is the exterior of the box and the left end is the corner of the box.

The volume that the port takes up in this diagram, adding the .75 for wood, do I add that volume to the total cu ft of the box or do I make the box and add the port walls inside of it and disregard the port volume? I don't think I was clear earlier, maybe even now?!?!?!?

Thanks

Bronze Member
Username: Imnothereimjustvisiting

Post Number: 85
u calculate displacement for the pieces marked w/ an xUpload

Bronze Member

Yuba City, CA USA

Post Number: 83
Nice!

So, just to be clear a 4.5 cu ft box would be all the open area inside the box, including the port.

Silver Member
Username: Kravenblood

Ohio Hmmm

Post Number: 284
if your subs need a 4.5 cubes than no it excludes the area of the port

Silver Member
Username: Kravenblood

Ohio Hmmm

Post Number: 285
example everywhere but the port = 4.5 cubes in the pic and the port = 1 cube youll have to build a 5.5 cubed box... so that pic with the port is 5.5 cubes
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us