Capacitors and Farads

Bronze Member
Username: Hambone907

Post Number: 17
I am new to capacitors, and i am having to learn a lot in a short time so that i can power a system. So ive been looking at reviews and specs with farads and etc. So as far as im concerned 1 farad = 1000 watts. So if i had 1000 RMS, i am guessing that i would need a 2 farad cap, maybe 3 to be safe. Can anyone help me out?

Bronze Member
Username: Aj1218

Post Number: 55
Caps should almost never be used for car audio. To me they are only for cosmetic purposes. I would suggest getting a hi output alternator rather than wasting money on a cap

And yes 1 farad is good for 1000watts (500RMS)

what kind of amplifier are you running?

Username: Zxhoon

Post Number: 2
so AJ, what about the caps that are inside the amps on the power supply? there is a use for caps in car audio systems and if your alternator/battery keeps up with your system most of the time a cap will help out with big bass hits... there is no way your alternator will supply the current needed instantly when you have a big sub pumping, battery will take up the short fall but a cap is even better, they are used for filtering/smoothing the supply they dont increase the capacity of your charging system...

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Northwest PA

Post Number: 3217
AJ's got this one covered..... external caps do pretty much nothing.

All amplifiers have some amount of internal capacitance. Think about it, if the amp needed more, it would be built with it.

Silver Member
Username: Holt_champ

Htown, MI

Post Number: 863
well i have a 200 amp alt and a second battery in my trunk. it doesnt help with the dimming at all. what could i do to stop the dimming? i am using a kx2500.1 amp.

Melbourne, Victoria Australia

Post Number: 8
I love the misinformation that abounds on sites like this...

each case is different but the problem is the 'inrush' current when suddenly a load is placed on the supply, a cap will help with the dimming but you will need a decent sized one..

i work in power control, and even with a factory 3 phase 415V supply @ 100A, when a 10amp load is switched on the lights will dim for a split second..

DC at least you can put a big cap in there to help stop the supply dropping...

Silver Member

Htown, MI

Post Number: 864
ok so what size cap would be good for 2600 watts rms?

Username: Cbh18

Post Number: 1
im totally lost on how to hook up a capacitor. i have a 1000 watt amp and a 1.2 farad capacitor. someone told me that i have to charge it before i can simply hook it to the amp and ground it. so i need a lot of help how do i do this without killing my self. Thanks

Post Number: 9
phillp and Corey, check the following link:

http://www.faqs.org/faqs/car-audio/part1/

scroll or search down to section 2.9
What is a "stiffening capacitor", and how does it work?

good reading, gives cap size per wattage, although it does not define if that is RMS or not, perhaps check on some car audio manufaturers sites...

also details on charging and installing for you Corey, be careful not to short the terminals once it is charged!

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Northwest PA

Post Number: 3238
You are never going to eliminate the dimming completely. It's caused by the alt's voltage regulator not being able to respond the the current draw fast enough. As long as the voltage stays above 12 you're fine.

And I don't care how big of a capacitor you put on it, it aint going to fix it.

Silver Member

Htown, MI

Post Number: 869
i dont want to fix it completely, i just want to help it so it doesnt dimm as much. when my bass hit now it sucks all the power and my lights almost turn off. but something else must have been wrong with my alt or big three like you said. thanks for all your input

Gold Member
Username: Naledge503

Http://com4.runboard.c...

Post Number: 1880
http://glasswolf.net/caraudio/capacitors.html

Post Number: 10
technically if you had a big enough cap you could power your whole system for days, but thats just being silly... they arent designed to support an electrical system that cant support your stereo, etc. but they will help stop flicker..

phillp i think you should take your car to an auto elec and get them to double check everything is ok, and like i said in the other thread about your alternator check that its output is ok at idle, etc.

good luck with it anyways mate :-)

Gold Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

Post Number:...

Post Number: 5086
I bet a lot of you guys don't know that a lot of competitors use CAPS.Booyah?Caps are useful when used properly.

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 6493
That was the point I was trying to make for so long. Caps and any other electronic parts are not useless. If they were, they would've never been created in the first place. Like everything electronic, if or when used properly, it has it's benefits.
So please try and not use the phrase "caps are garbage", "they're totally useless", "waste of money" etc.
I seriously don't understand where people get such notions/ideas.
I'll use car analogy so that everyone can understand. It's like a person testing F1 race car during bumper to bumper rush hour and saying, it's "totally useless" cause it goes as fast as Toyota's Echo. Just as bad would be using Toyota's Echo at a race track and say it's "a piece of garbage" cause it couldn't break the sound barrier.
If the products were used as designed, then it can never be "garbage".

Silver Member

Htown, MI

Post Number: 870
my alt read 14.5 at idle...and droped between 11 or 12. something inst. good thing im selling it right lol. im just trying to figure out everything for my new car when i get it.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us