3rd Generation Ford Explorer Install Pics

Silver Member
Username: Fearthisskyy

Dallas, Texas United states

Post Number: 404
post them here if you have any.

i will be installing next week before i leave for college, and i definitely need all the help i can get since i have never done this before...

equipment is in my profile, and i bought kicker pkd1 wires, hopefully that is good.

Silver Member
Username: Skies

Courtenay, British Colu... Canada

Post Number: 802
Wow bud, EXCELLENT equipment choices.

Very nice SQ setup you've got.

Have you made your box already?

Silver Member

Post Number: 405
thanks man, i hope it sounds as good as i think it should sound

nope, plan on making the box this weekend...

nothing special though, just a 1.3 cuft sealed w/ carpet.
should make the response curve more flat though

Gold Member
Username: Jkidder

Spring hill, Florida Usa

Post Number: 1573
seas er18rnx

where did you buy them? what will you set x-over at? have you heard or tested them yet? i've heard nothing but great things about them. i am considering them. how much power you throwin at em daily?

thanks

Silver Member

Post Number: 406
well i'll answer your questions in order...

http://www.madisound.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=45_228_256&products_id=8 181

also check out...
http://www.madisound.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=45_228_256&products_id=8 188
great deal going on for those, can't be beat for the price.

i heard that they can be crossed anywhere from 1-4k, i didn't install them yet so i can't tell you what i am using.

but i'm guessing it'll be close to 1.5k since they will be in my doors off axis, and the seas neo will play down to about 1.5k so it should blend in well according to both frequency response graph.

i haven't heard or tested them yet, i'm just going by the way ppl describe them at DIYMA.com, but it's my first pair of speakers... i'm sure i'll swap them out later but you gotta start somewhere. i believe that the ppl on DIYMA also know what they are talking about because i understand how they are describing the sound they are getting and i know what i am looking for.

i haven't thrown anything at them yet, but since they are 8ohm drivers they will be getting the 50-60 watts @ 8ohm the PPI PC4800 will give them. (they are rated at 80 wrms @ 8ohm)

should have these in the next week or two, and i'll for sure post my install on here...

you going for a real sq setup? what tweeter do you plan on using?

Gold Member

Spring hill, Florida Usa

Post Number: 1575
those are the other woofers i was looking at lol. thats wild. i will have a hybrid-tube amp on them. which driver do you think would take 100 rms each better?

Silver Member

Post Number: 407
well the cd-18re is 4 ohm and the er18rnx is 8 ohm, but i believe they will both get loud off 100wrms, just depends on how much you want to spend and what kind of sound you are going for.

i was torn between the er18rnx and peerless exclusives and still would want to try the exclusives out one day, but i think the next time i upgrade from the er18rnx it will be something more high-end like dynaudio, scanspeak revs, or seas excel.

and i was looking for something with more midbass i guess, just cause i am afraid the exclusives won't satisfy me in that region, even though i hear it has a verrry detailed/clear midrange.

do you have the processing to eq it?
are you going to put them on axis or off axis?
what tweeters are you going to use?

Gold Member

Spring hill, Florida Usa

Post Number: 1576
no eq yet, off-axis, and i'm caught up between the Seas Lotus RT25A and the Vifa D26NC-55-06. i'm pretty lost on direction i want to go. no idea on what i want to do w/ the eq either.

Gold Member

Spring hill, Florida Usa

Post Number: 1577
Peerless HDS 810921 also. but dude i want to keep talking but i've been researching this sh!t for hours and i'm dead. hit me up on AIM tomorrow if you can - jk32sho

or email - jkidder01 (at) earthlink.net

Silver Member

Post Number: 408
figure out processing first if you plan on running active, but if you have an amp with good crossovers that should be fine as well.

i think the cd-18re will need a lot more tuning and EQ to get it to sound right, and the er18rnx should should pretty good off the bat with some tuning to your tastes.

if you get the cd-18re it has amazing off-axis response, and you could use the tweeter that can be crossovered higher. while the er18rnx will need something that can be crossovered lower since it begins to breakup at 1.5k off-axis unless you put it on axis, then either tweeter should be fine just depends on the top end and whether you like a brighter sound than not.

Silver Member

Post Number: 409
for sure, i'm going to pass out... i have work in the AM.
nice talking to someone who is also interested in a diy setup

Gold Member
Username: Skibum12189

Cleveland

Post Number: 1391
jake papa has like an 0-something mountaineer and thats teh same as your explorer

chase freeman has a 05 or 06 explorer....thats a newer body style but i think its like the same

Silver Member

Post Number: 410
oh, i talked to him in the chat last night. he said he had an 05 and would take pictures for me, it's the same body style as mine, 3rd gen.

CHASE FREEMAN, i made this thread for you

Gold Member

Spring hill, Florida Usa

Post Number: 1578
bump

Silver Member

Post Number: 414
JK, you can fit large format tweets into your install?? that gives you so many awesome choices.

Gold Member

Spring hill, Florida Usa

Post Number: 1586
yep i can. any other ones you can think of?

Silver Member

Post Number: 419
what's your budget for midbasses and tweets? give me a max and a preferred budget.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us