OT: My computer is messing up, HELP!

Silver Member
Username: Rideredder

Cornell, IL USA

Post Number: 914
I don't know what happened. It was working fine yesterday, but when I got on it today I started noticing different things missing from it.

1. No sound at all
2. Printer doesn't work
3. Popup blocker doesn't work
And probably a few other things that I haven't found yet.

I went to System Restore and it won't let me go back past this morning. I tried it anyway and it didn't fix the problem.

Silver Member
Username: Thumpinwith8s

2 RE8s,PG Xenon 400.1, New Numbers ...

Post Number: 703
go here, they can usually help with anything
www.techsupportforum.com

Silver Member
Username: Shade

Moxee, Wa U.S.

Post Number: 371
search "housecall" on google, run their free adware/virus program. Other then that go to your task manager then to process tab and look for anything fishy.

Silver Member

Cornell, IL USA

Post Number: 915
Yeah that didn't work either. Thanks anyway. I was planning on getting a new computer in the near future anyway. What do you guys think I should get? Using it mainly for music, pictures, and games.

Silver Member
Username: Moey_g

SydneyAustralia

Post Number: 114
Usually formatting the hard drive works wonders... How long has it been since u last formatted?

Bronze Member
Username: Khae

Post Number: 45
i'd say build ur own comptuer for gaming to how ever u want and then get an external hard drive thas pretty big i have a 500 gb external with my laptop n then save everything n install programs on the external HD it wont lag the comptuer since it doesnt lag my laptop even though i leave it on for a week feels tha same

Silver Member
Username: Tatonka

Post Number: 758
format c:/

Install a Linux distro and you will never have another problem.

Silver Member

Cornell, IL USA

Post Number: 916
How do I go about doing these things? The last time we had it formatted, we had some other guy do it. That was over a year ago. Nick, what is a Linux distro?

Silver Member

Cornell, IL USA

Post Number: 917
Bump.

How do I format c:/ ?

Silver Member

SydneyAustralia

Post Number: 116
Linux is another operating system. Dont wory about it unless you want to change from windows.
Its not too hard to format and re-install windows. If you have windows on CD you will be able to do it yourself.

Silver Member

Cornell, IL USA

Post Number: 918
Will I lose everything if I do this?

Silver Member

SydneyAustralia

Post Number: 117
Yea its like starting fresh. Back-up all your important files that you want to keep then format and re-install windows then copy the backed-up files back onto the computer. It will make a big difference from what you have now...

Silver Member

Cornell, IL USA

Post Number: 919
I have the recovery cd, but not the windows one. If I do a factory restore will windows still be on here?

Silver Member
Username: Jtown

Post Number: 224
khaesaechao,

Not trying to steal the thread, but can you run programs straight off of an external HD? Like if I were to save itunes and all my music to an external HD could I just play all those songs straight from it?

Gold Member
Username: Mixmastaspig

Canada, Canada Canada

Post Number: 1017
As far as I know Justin, yes you can.

Silver Member

Cornell, IL USA

Post Number: 920
I'm just gonna say fu<k it and get a new computer. This thing has been pissing me off since I got it. Anyone else with a Compaq 5000 series knows what i'm talking about. What are some good companys that I should look into? I want at least a 250GB HD with dvd burner and all that good stuff. Looking to spend around a grand.

Silver Member

Cornell, IL USA

Post Number: 921
I was kinda leaning toward this one,

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=28643 26&CatId=1812

Anyone have a Systemax?

Silver Member

SydneyAustralia

Post Number: 118
Im not sure price wise (since im from Australia and prices are different) but the only problem i have with that computer is that it has an integrated graphics card. (which means its built into the motherboard). If your not into high-end games then its not too bad.

Justin, you can run pretty much anything of an external hard drive. Its not the best thing to do but it will work. If your just playing music off the external hard drive then you should have no problems at all since they do not require alot of processing power.

Silver Member
Username: Jtown

Post Number: 229
Awesome, thanks a lot guys. I might have to go get one now...I have over 4500 songs and download a lot of movies, delete them after word, but still. And my comp kinda slows down, enough for me to tell and that's too much

Silver Member

Cornell, IL USA

Post Number: 922
What would you suggest I get Moey?

Silver Member

SydneyAustralia

Post Number: 119
Well what u posted was good but if u can get a decent graphics card instead of an integrated one then it should be sweet.
If your not going on play high end games then you can probably get away with the one you posted.

Silver Member

Cornell, IL USA

Post Number: 923
Cool. I know anything will be better than this POS I have now. Haven't upgraded in a while. The last computer I had was an IBM, bought back in '94-'95. And before that, a Tandy. That computer was the sh!t back in the day. Anyone else remember those?

Silver Member

Cornell, IL USA

Post Number: 924
And I found one. Not mine, but that's exactly what I have.

http://meltingpot.fortunecity.com/andorra/937/tandy1000tl2.html

I just might get that thing back out tomorrow. I miss playing TMNT 1 on it.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us