What is it?

Bronze Member
Username: Slicknick

Grove, Oklahoma U.S.

Post Number: 17
i'm rather new to most car audio stuff, and lately have been very confused on what this is or where i could get one, i want to be able to turn my volume down leaving only bass, if somebody could provide a link to a site where i could buy something that does that, i'd be grateful

Bronze Member
Username: Sqcheap

Grand rapids, Michigan Usa

Post Number: 56
From the seat? I had a crossover that had gains for the high and low sides...it would do that. It was handy for tuning and balancing the system. The one I have now only has sub gain and I kind of miss the other gain. I don't know who all makes crossovers like that, or anyone that makes just a gain. Some amps have remote gains if you find one that could be used for highs and not just subs.

Bronze Member

Grove, Oklahoma U.S.

Post Number: 28
yeh, from the front seat, i forgot to mention that, i'd like to have some sort of knob or switch, that adjusts my bass from the front of the car, i would really like a link to something that does that

Bronze Member

Post Number: 65
You can use a crossover that has gains, you can get a 5ch or sub amp with remote gain to turn the sub up/down but not highs usually. If you really want you can put a switch on the remote to your amps to turn them off. You have amp(s)?

Bronze Member

Grove, Oklahoma U.S.

Post Number: 31
yeh, i have an alpine mrp m650, and what exactly is a "gain" and "remote" i'm sort of new to some stuff, and dont know all the terms

Bronze Member

Post Number: 67
I'll try; Gain is the 'volume' control on the amp, but its not a volume it is to match the input millivolt to the output of the speakers and the rest of the system if you have more. You would turn the head unit (HU) up to the highest clean volume you would use then turn the gain up as much as the drivers can handle or amp put out...then back it off some. That way you get max volume without distorting the speakers or overdriving the amp. A tool can be used to check for clipping to set this also. Need to be careful with less than very good HUs as some will distort the RCA output at max volume so often you never use full volume on the HU, maybe 2/3rds as a max. Turn amps way down and HU all the way up, then amp up enough to hear it good and see if it is still clear music to check. Of course to match things, say your subs are much louder than the high side so then you turn your sub gain down to match it up to sound good. People who like to bang the subs then use a remote sub control to have it down for listening then crank it up to impress others...and also to set sub level as with different songs/stations you might have to adjust it they never seem to have the same sub level.

Remote is usually the small wire from your HU to the amp that turns the amp on when the HU is on. It can also be the bass control to an amp, but often they are called just that 'bass control or bass remote' and the remote turn on is just called the remote or remote wire. The wire will usually be right with the power wires on the amp, and the power wires on the HU. A few powered subs will self sense turn on like the tube subs, that is mostly so you can tap off a speaker for the signal and then if you have a stock HU without a remote wire you are good. All normal car amps use a remote wire, with multiple amps sometimes a relay is used to run the amps activated by the HU remote because it has a very limited current capacity...but should handle 2-3 amps.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 68
I looked up the m650 and it does not list a remote bass knob. A crossover is what is in most amps now, it controls the frequency cutoff it plays at. Subs play under say 80Hz you set on the amp, but a crossover like I mean you would mount in front and be able to change while driving. Some of them have the gain too. Some crossovers are trunk mount though and you have to use screwdriver to change settings...no knobs.

Here is one I found with knobs, or dash mount. Note it has your frequency and gain for each amp. You could use this on 1,2,or 3 amps. It is a really cheap one, so don't expect sonic brilliance from it I'm just using it as an example of what you want. Even this one I am not sure if the frequency knobs are knobs or screws really. Some of the knobs you push in when not using. http://www.audio-warehouse.com/web/mdl/LXR3A/detail.asp

Bronze Member

Grove, Oklahoma U.S.

Post Number: 32
ok, now i understand what gain and remote are, thanks for the help there, also, are you saying that i wont be able to turn down the bass because my amp does not have a remote bass knob? or do i just need to get a crossover? and, just so you know, i have 1 alpine type r, being powered by 1 m650 and my HU is a Pioneer DEH-P4600MP.

its an older model, is it still any good or would work?

i dont want my crossover in the trunk, thats for sure, and i want one with knobs so i dont have to use a screwdriver, i honestly know almost next to nothing about crossovers, so i dont know what to look for when buying one, do you know of any crossovers that have knobs, and arent some cheap thing from the dollar store? i'd prefer to spend under $100 for one, i'm just asking you because you seem to know a good deal about crossovers, when i know nothing, so i have no idea how i would go about buying one, so if you do know of one on the internet somewhere, that would be really helpful.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 70
Audiocontrol is good stuff, they come up on ebay http://www.mobileaudiocontrol.com/ Some of the alpine eqs are good like a ERE-G190 is what I have, mostly a sub processor it has a gain for sub only and are on ebay for <100. It will make the sub go much louder than the rest of the speakers if I want, but I can't shut them off all the way like the other one I had. Nakamichi is good should you find one. I'm not sure about others really, I did look at a new soundstream but not sure on quality. A cheap one will put noise into your system so I would not recommend that. Usually only the ones with crossovers in them will have gains....the crossover is the same thing as in your sub amp that you set to keep the highs out of the sub, the low pass....high pass keeps the sub out of your highs, but with dash control you can move them anytime instead of adjusting the amp. Then the gain does what you want and turns just your sub or high amp up/down, if it has gains for both but most have gains for sub at least. Some parametric EQs have sub outs and gains/crossover with a 5 or 7 band eq, some are same but not parametric...that just means you can adjust what frequency the eq works at instead of it being set to X Hz like a normal one.

Bronze Member

Grove, Oklahoma U.S.

Post Number: 33
ok, i'll look into those, thanks man, also i was wondering, why did you get rid of your old crossover? from the way you make it sound it was way better than the one you have now. also what was it?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 71
I still have it, it is a nakamichi 2 way but it has nothing else on it like the eq features on the alpine. I've used it in lots of cars so wont be parting with it soon. The gains on it work real nice though and go all the way off. It is very clean sounding. It does only have about 5 crossover points and is not variable it switches between them. Like this one I think http://cgi.ebay.com/NAKAMICHI-EC-200-H-ELECTRONIC-CROSSOVER-As-New-Cond_W0QQitem Z180145923114QQihZ008QQcategoryZ14973QQcmdZViewItem

Bronze Member

Grove, Oklahoma U.S.

Post Number: 34
yeh, i like that nakamichi you gave the link for, its a bit more pricey than what i wanna pay though, honestly, i dont want to get to expensive, and dont care about all the features and stuff a whole lot, i just want something more basic, something that just turns my bass up and down, thats all i'm really looking for

Bronze Member

Post Number: 72
If your amp had a plug for a remote you could just get one for it, but it didn't say in the info I read about it. Otherwise yeah you need a crossover, I've never seen anything that just does gain. And you might want to get the EQ type because then you can do more tuning.

Bronze Member

Grove, Oklahoma U.S.

Post Number: 35
oh, also, i was looking at this one on ebay, its on the only one on ebay, i have no idea what to bid on it though cuz i dunno how much it is worth

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Alpine-ERE-G190-Subwoofer-Processor_W0QQitemZ1301 43828451QQihZ003QQcategoryZ38643QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Bronze Member

Grove, Oklahoma U.S.

Post Number: 36
alright then, that makes sense, i was looking at the controls on that nakamichi, and they seem pretty simple actually, thers a low and a high, then the frequency, it says the guy used it in his home theatre though, and i dont really know how i would wire it to my car

Bronze Member

Post Number: 73
The Nakamichi is a car stereo crossover, you just run the RCA out of your HU and into it, then it has two sets of out one for sub one for highs. Power, ground, and remote trigger wires is all you hook up. I saw one go for 83 a while back.

I watched the alpine for 3 months and cheapest I saw one go for was around 80, most were 100 to 130 , all including shipping. The knobs crack on the ends, has to do with the plastic they used but not very noticable.

The audiocontrol three.1 I think was the one like these. Otherwise google it for a while and find some reviews or other posts on crossovers with knobs...or whatever shows them up in google. Or you can swap amps to one with a control. There may be a remote gain but I've never seen one that you just put in RCAs. Lastly you can get a new HU, the nice ones have the crossover and sub level right in the HU. I'll get one some day, with an EQ also.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 74
ebay item 130141113181

Bronze Member

Grove, Oklahoma U.S.

Post Number: 37
alright, so if i buy you crossover, i'm guessin you really reccomend this one? it seems pretty good, and isnt insanely expensive, the only thing is you say the knobs crack on the ends, but i wouldnt think that would be too important, and yeh, i wanna get a new HU, but thats gonna have to wait a while

Bronze Member

Post Number: 75
It seems to work well and you don't notice the knobs that much. The big knob does bass gain, like I said it will not turn it all the way off but works pretty good. I have it set so bass is weak all the way down and it makes the bass really strong/overbearing all the way up, compared to the high side. You pull it out for the fader if you use that. The little knobs can be hard to see. Yeah I have a new HU on the list too but it will be a while.

Bronze Member

Grove, Oklahoma U.S.

Post Number: 38
alright, everything sounds pretty good, i dont really have any more questions, but if i ever do i'll pm you or something, you helped me out quite a bit, thanks man

Bronze Member

Post Number: 83
g190 just went for 77 shipped on ebay, thats cheap as I have seen. Cool, hope you get it sounding the way you want. I got mine installed and now I have to catch up on everything else and no time to tune it yet.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 85
g190 just went for 77 shipped on ebay, thats cheap as I have seen. Cool, hope you get it sounding the way you want. I got mine installed and now I have to catch up on everything else and no time to tune it yet.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 86
Wow, getting software errors off this site.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 87
Wow, getting software errors off this site.

Software Error

A software error has occurred.

If you contact the site administrator, please include this error number: 1187749017-11801.

Silver Member
Username: Big_edge_head

Milwaukee, Wisconsin USA

Post Number: 512
if your looking for an EQ the best for the money would be this right here, u can also adjust to just play the lows if u wanted to or just the highs:

http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=16889

Bronze Member

Post Number: 89
Wow a G190 just went for 65 shipped, lowest I have seen but I was not here to bid on it.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us