Help with amp and subs (was told to repost here)

Username: Animex2

Buffalo, New York USA

Post Number: 7
Hey, i have a MD-2618M Amplifier, 2000 watts peak, 600w RMS@ 4 ohm, with 2 Audiobahn AW1251T DVC subs wired to it like http://akamaipix.crutchfield.com/ca/learningcenter/car/subwoofer_wiring/2DVC_4-o hm_2ch.jpg

now my gain has alaways been at max, and everything has been maxed out. today i re-wiered the subs beacuse i realised they were wiered incorectly, i only had 1 pos an 1 neg going out each channel of the amp to each sub, not connecting both voice coils or anything. so i decided to wire it like the image above. boy was the improvement huge.

i drove around bumping for about 10 min until i blew my original 5 amp fuse from the amp kit. i said f it and threw a 30 amp fuse in. (its right next to the car battery, not a fuse on the amp itself) beacuse if theres too much power, it will fry again, and if theres enough power but it spikes the amp will turn itself off.

now im good for about 20-25 min, until my amp turns itself off, im like, uh oh did the 30 amp fuse blow? nope, im good, the fuse is fine, look in the back and the protection light is on. I turn the car on (not starting the engine) im good, bumping goes on for 10 min + no problems. I turn the engine on, still good. I start to move, within 3 seconds of moving the amp turns itself off and goes into protection mode.

I tried turning the gain down, nope, still turns itself off when moving. Turned the volume and bass down, same thing. When not moving im good, when moving it goes off. All the wires are tight so im positive none are crossing over.

Anyone have any clue what this could be? One friend guessed the voltage goes up when you give the car gas, this could trigger the safety mechanism in the amp itself, but it never did it before. Could the fuse be doing something funky with the voltage? I cant figure this out at all.

also need to add this, 600w rms x2 = 1200/12 volts = 100 amps. Im using 8 Gauge wire, my speaker manual says no, minimum reccomended wire size is 4 gauge. could this be my problem? lack of voltage or somthing beacuse the wire is too small.

Silver Member
Username: Big_edge_head

Milwaukee, Wisconsin USA

Post Number: 435
too much to read. lol. someone will

Silver Member
Username: Big_edge_head

Milwaukee, Wisconsin USA

Post Number: 436
i read the first sentence. "the gains are maxed out" there not a volume control

Buffalo, New York USA

Post Number: 8
ok if u read it i said i turned them down, same problem.turned em to almost nothing.

Bronze Member
Username: Dadydolas

Post Number: 89
bump for lou

Silver Member
Username: Shade

Moxee, Wa U.S.

Post Number: 367
cliff notes:
basically he rewired his subs, and now when he drives his car the amp shutsdown but not when sitting idle.

Buffalo, New York USA

Post Number: 9
turned the gain down again and it wasnt turning on, realised the inline fuse wasnt connected well, so the amp didnt turn on. got the amp on, gain all the way down, it still went out.

now im getting 12.5-14.5v to the back (checked with multimeter) and the amp doesnt turn on at all, the outside fuses are good. im thinking beacuse i used 8 gauage wire its not able to handle the needed amperage over a line that small?

Gold Member
Username: Trey4sports

Post Number: 1645
you probably clipped the hell out of your amp when your gains were maxed out, and fried some mosfets in the amplifier.

send it into Robotunderground, theyll tell you wats wrong wtih the amp

Gold Member
Username: Drivingreckless

DD 9515f, 148.2 db Mov...

Post Number: 3936
"cliff notes:
basically he rewired his subs, and now when he drives his car the amp shutsdown but not when sitting idle.""

HAHAHAHHAHAAHha

thats badass to bad i didnt see it after i red the whole passage...thanks jeremy

Buffalo, New York USA

Post Number: 10
well figured most of it out, the fuse was not weired too well, re-wiered that. and the ground was bad, causing the circuit to mess up and blew probally one of the voice coils on one of the subs. so it was sending power to the sub that wasnt there, the wire got very hot very fast and the automatic shut off turned it off. disconected that sub and im good. the sub blew beacuse of two reasons. 1. it was not wiered well and the wieres touched earlier, and also i had it wiered for 2 ohms instead of 4 for a little bit. and 2, like i said the ground was bad.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us