Need to get Equipped for install 2....

Gold Member
Username: Pitbullguy

Ascendant Audio Arsenals, Chicago Ima graffiti...

Post Number: 1664
Sorry to start another thread but apparently you can't post on a thread after it's fallen off the first page.
https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/car-audio/377007.html

So I think I'ma get like 20ft. of 1/0 KLM wire to replace my 4gauge power wire, and whatever other speaker wire/rca's i need from knukonceptz. But i have a couple questions...

1. Once i have the 1/0 power wire going to my distro block, can i use all that 4gauage i have to go from the distro block to my ednine.1 and my sundown 100.2, and then use it to ground the amps as well? or will i need to use more 1/0?

2. How many feet of speaker wire should i get to have plenty?

3. What kinda RCA's do i need? I'm lookin at the website and i see Krystal, Karma, Klarity....males, females....WTF!?!?

4. What tools will i need to redo the power wire and then install my components and comonent amp n' everything? I own virtually no tools, just a few screwdrivers and electrical tape and what not, so i need to talk to my old man and my boss about borrowing stuff :-)

I really appreciate the help guys, I'm determined to get some install experience under my belt so i can start to answer questions around here instead of asking so damn many :-)

Gold Member

Post Number: 1665
bump deezy

Silver Member
Username: Big_edge_head

Milwaukee, Wisconsin USA

Post Number: 423
u need some wire stripers, and a dmm

Gold Member

Post Number: 1672
:-( no other input? blah, maybe i'm being unrealistic thinking i can do the install myself :-(

Gold Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

Post Number:...

Post Number: 4137
Hooking up 2 amplifiers shouldn't be too hard.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1673
shhhhh i'm trying to act beat down and pathetic so people will answer my questions.

Gold Member
Username: Loudon

Post Number: 1494
oh im sure u are lol

if ur so confident in ur installers skills then why all the questions bout equipment .... ?

any one can tell you waht to buy ... or what ull need ... research things ... the search button and google will do wonders

Gold Member
Username: Skibum12189

Cleveland

Post Number: 1346
1. you could either ground two runs of 4 ga. (one from each amp) to the same spot or run the 4 gauge to a distro and then run 1/0 from the distro to a ground

2. are you just installing front comps? for my car (jeep cherokee) i wanted to mount my xovers in the trunk (meaning i'd need 4 runs of new speaker wire, 2 to each door, tweet and mid) so i got 2 50 ft. spools.....that's gonna be way more than i need but im sure ill have a use for it somewhere along the line.....if you're doing 4 new runs like me, youll prolly need like 70-75 feet, but again thats an over estimate if anything...

3. I just got two 4 meter Karma ss Rca's (12.49 ea.)

4. well to make the whole in the firewall bigger, youre gonna need a power drill and a bigazz bit....im sure youll need some allen keys, philips and flat screwdrivers, wire stripper, some wire nuts...etc

Gold Member

Post Number: 4141
Where do you live at in Chicago?If you want I may be able to help you with your install.

Gold Member
Username: Bernymac

BME

Post Number: 3213
"u need some wire stripers, and a dmm"

Wire stripers = your teeth :-). Unless its power wire, use some big scissors is what I use, or a knife :-). Also its okay to do the 0ga then have 4ga after the dist block. Should be no problem there.

How much speaker wire, that depends where your installing the components xover. I say 15-20ft per side if its one run. Double that amount per side if you mount them in the trunk.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4142
"1. Once i have the 1/0 power wire going to my distro block, can i use all that 4gauage i have to go from the distro block to my ednine.1 and my sundown 100.2, and then use it to ground the amps as well? or will i need to use more 1/0?"

Yes,you can run it all with 4 gauge.Yes,you will need a run of 1/0 ground.

"2. How many feet of speaker wire should i get to have plenty?"

If you plan on wiring the whole car with new wire.I'd say 60 feet to be on the safe side.This is dependent on how many speakers you're going to run.If you're only running a front stage 30 feet should be more than enough.

"3. What kinda RCA's do i need? I'm lookin at the website and i see Krystal, Karma, Klarity....males, females....WTF!?!?"

Not all RCAs are the same.Some offer better signal strength and quality than others.You will want 2 male to 2 male cables.That will go from your female outputs on the head unit into a male cable that will run into the female inputs on your amplifier(s).

"4. What tools will i need to redo the power wire and then install my components and comonent amp n' everything? I own virtually no tools, just a few screwdrivers and electrical tape and what not, so i need to talk to my old man and my boss about borrowing stuff"

You'll need crimpers,strippers,a hammer and wood block(Cheap but effective way to install 1/0 ring terminals),DMM,screw drivers,wire coat hanger(for running speaker wire),flash light,cordless drill,drill bits,self tapping screws,wrenches,allen wrenches and there's a few more things that I probably left out.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1674
THANK YOU GUYS!!!!!!!!

{"if ur so confident in ur installers skills then why all the questions bout equipment .... ?"}

maybe I confused you, I have ZERO install experience :-)

{"are you just installing front comps?"}

yeah, no rear fill. So why did you mount the xovers in the trunk? how is that beneficial?

{"Where do you live at in Chicago?"}

About 40 minutes west of the city actually. Yeah Polo and lilrob have offered too so we'll see. I'd feel so silly though making someone i don't even know take time outta their life to make arrangements and meet me just to help my newb azz.

Thanks again guys, this info REALLY helps me to start to visualize what i'm gonna have to do.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4147
You're welcome.What city or town do you actually live in?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1675
downers grove, right by westmont, naperville etc.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4152
Oh,I've been out that way quite a few times.Fry's electronics is a pretty sweet place.

Gold Member

Cleveland

Post Number: 1348
i have diamond hex's and the xovers are gigantic and too big to go in the doors, not to mention theyre gonna look fluckin sweet next to my amps on an amp rack....

Gold Member

Post Number: 1676
lol cal, glad you're excited about the x-overs.

frys > circuit city > best buy IMO

Platinum Member
Username: Bestmankind

SOUND SPLINTER RL-S ON...

Post Number: 14784
pit bull come on man. i know you can do it. you don't need to be asking all this question. go out there NOW and start the install.

btw awesome game yesterday. the chargers and seahawks. even though it was pre season, it was exciting. only a few more weeks to go til it starts again. can't wait. sundays have been so boring.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1677
{"pit bull come on man. i know you can do it. you don't need to be asking all this question. go out there NOW and start the install."}

sh!t chadley you're right! Forget all that knukonceptz stuff. Okay i'ma use a orange extension cord for the power wire, yarn for speaker wire, and cereal bowls for speaker brackets!!

j/k i know what you're trying to say, and you're right. I need to stop second guessing myself and just dive in and start gettin my hands dirty. Once i place the order and get all the wiring and stuff i need, i'ma go for it!

Gold Member

Post Number: 4167
That's the spirit.You'll never know until you try.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1687
okay guys tell me if i've forgotten anything, this is my shopping cart on knukonceptz...

1. Konfused 2-way distrib system. What fuse types should i choose? http://www.knukonceptz.com/productDetail.cfm?prodID=KNF-12

2. 30ft. Klear cable 12 gauge speaker wire http://www.knukonceptz.com/productDetail.cfm?prodID=KLE12BL

3. 20ft. KLM 1/0 power/ground cable http://www.knukonceptz.com/productDetail.cfm?prodID=KLM0BL

4. 2 Karma SS 4 meter RCA cables http://www.knukonceptz.com/productDetail.cfm?prodID=KARSS2.4M

Anything else i need?

Silver Member
Username: Fearthisskyy

Dallas, Texas United states

Post Number: 397
http://www.knukonceptz.com/productDetail.cfm?prodID=BT-104P
if you plan on ever doing the big 3 for your electrical system.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1689
Does that look like everything i'll need? Rob? Chadley? Cal? Mat? I just need one of you trustworty bas+ards to gimme the green light.

Gold Member
Username: Safe_cracker

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 3288
"About 40 minutes west of the city actually. Yeah Polo and lilrob have offered too so we'll see. I'd feel so silly though making someone i don't even know take time outta their life to make arrangements and meet me just to help my newb azz."

I wouldn't consider you taking any time if you fix me up with one of thems young sweeties over there, lol. BTW- it would give me a chance to show ya what a one sub system should sound like, lol. Polo.. :-O

Gold Member

Cleveland

Post Number: 1367
honestly dude, id just pick up a kicker pkd1 amp kit....you dont have to put the terminals and other stuff on the wire, they're so easy to work with....but yea....depending on your comps i dont think youll need 12 ga. speaker wire...im only usin 16 for my s600s's and thats 175 rms

make sure to get good 16 ga wire if you decide to use it....

imo fused distros are unnecessary as long as your anl is correctly sized (300 amp comes iwth kicker kit and thats too big)

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

4 10 Pioneer...

Post Number: 11944
go to www.bcae1.com - they got some diagrams there to help u ......

Gold Member

Post Number: 1690
Cal I think that kicker pkd1 is probably a better idea, cheaper too. "16 AWG remote lead" is just funny talk for speaker wire right? is 20 feet enuff for one set of comps going up front? also the kit doesn't come with rca's, does it? where could i get some decent ones?

Gold Member

Cleveland

Post Number: 1372
the "16 awg remote lead" is just basic wire hahaha i just used speaker wire to hook up my amps remote wire.....ummm......the kit doesn't come with rca's....the knukonceptz ones you had picked out will work very well i have those exact ones.....i use knukonceptz bc theyre a great company and theyre only like 10 minutes from my house so that works.....like i said i got 2 50 ft spools of speaker wire for my car comps bc in all honesty, theres always some kind of need or use for speaker wire...and it doesnt cost a fortune like 1/0
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us