RD- Single 15" or 2 12"s ??

Silver Member
Username: Mixmastaspig

Canada, Canada Canada

Post Number: 997
Well I am looking at RD audio Elite SPL and I can't decide if I want a single 15" or two 12"s. They both take 2.5krms and I will be using the 5750.1 to power either or so I will most likely see max excursion on the 15" and no so much on the 2x12" set up.....The 12's will have more surface area, but a 15" will be easier to install and the box wont have to be as huge....

I can use up to and around a 6-7cuc ft box tuned to around 47hz and am geared towards competing in db drag and iasca.

(I have an upgraded alt 250a and will be most likely tossing 2 batteries in the trunk)

Gold Member
Username: Trey4sports

Post Number: 1628
i wouldnt run 5K + daily to the elite SPL.
your much better running (2) elite spls because of cone area, less thermal abuse on each woofer, simply put its gonna be louder....

Silver Member

Canada, Canada Canada

Post Number: 999
Hrm, I wouldn't drive around daily just blaring my stereo...lol the max it would see it when I burp.

But yeah more cone area and I never thought about heat....

Gold Member
Username: Trey4sports

Post Number: 1630
take into consideration these drivers are not flat down in the low 30's, there geared for high 30's low 40's and big burps. i would tune high like 38 and send each one 2500 and see what happens

Gold Member
Username: Showrides

Hartford, CT USA

Post Number: 1018
I will agree with trey on this one. A little higher tuning, and those things will pounds. And I would suggest two.

Bronze Member
Username: Teamrevolution

ATLANTA, GA USA

Post Number: 71
we can get you a elite spl 15" to hold 10k on burps. it comes down to the class you want to run and if you want it just for spl.

Silver Member

Canada, Canada Canada

Post Number: 1000
Street B (so maybe no batteries in trunk)

Why such the high tuning? Don't you want to tune the box to your car's res peak? My last box was tuned to 47hz and I peaked at 51hz.

(gold?!)

Gold Member

Canada, Canada Canada

Post Number: 1002
Why such the high tuning? Don't you want to tune the box to your car's res peak? My last box was tuned to 47hz and I peaked at 51hz.

Bronze Member
Username: Teamrevolution

ATLANTA, GA USA

Post Number: 73
40-60 hz works great for elite spl's

Gold Member

Canada, Canada Canada

Post Number: 1003
I tuned my box to 47hz and I peak at 51...even though I can hit higher when I play 47hz....weird

Still why you would tune to 38 rather than say 47....???

Thanks!

Gold Member
Username: Mygame5982

I Got More Watts Then ..., TEXAS US

Post Number: 2232
2 twelves > one fifthteen

Gold Member

Canada, Canada Canada

Post Number: 1005
bump again...

can anyone answer my Q?

"Still why you would tune to 38 rather than say 47....??? "

Gold Member

Canada, Canada Canada

Post Number: 1009
Again....someone help answer my question that Trey aka Thug money brought up....

why you would tune to 38 rather than say 47 when your cars res peak is around the 47 mark?

Gold Member
Username: Naledge503

Http://com4.runboard.c...

Post Number: 1553
I'm not 100% sure. But I will give my input. It seems that if you tune to your cars res peak, that your car would only be loud at that frequency. Which would be great for comps. There would be absolutely no flat response and every other note would be play rather quietly. Now if you tune lower say at your 38hz. it would have a flatter response up to your cars peak res. Just my thoughts. I would like to know the answer also.

Gold Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

Post Number:...

Post Number: 4225
It's simple,if you want to hit the lows,tune low.If you want to hit a high number tune high.

Gold Member
Username: Naledge503

Http://com4.runboard.c...

Post Number: 1554
Right. But here is a question. I have a pair of Q 15's which are supposed to play the lows really well. My box is tuned to 32Hz. I know that the higher the frequency the louder its supposed to play. In my ride it peaks around 42Hz and is way louder. Is that because of the res of my ride or just because higher frequency's play louder?

Gold Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 6156
I say its the car...we tuned at 35 hz and peak at 54 and 55 hz

Gold Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

Post Number:...

Post Number: 4226
Just like Sean said,it's the car.Every vehicle has a different resonant frequency,well...some share the same res frequency but...it's based on the vehicle.

Gold Member

Canada, Canada Canada

Post Number: 1010
Cool

My current box is tuned to 47hz and I peak at 51hz according to the term lab; however, if I play test tones at 51hz and say 44-47hz I hit much louder on the 44-47 range.......

As I will need a new box for the new RD subs and I want SPL for comps but I dont want absolute garbage for music, no one hit wonder box.

(might be ordering the 5750.1 amp tonight or tomorrow...)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us