Final input needed - SoundSplinter

Gold Member
Username: Mgbcs

Maple Grove, Minnesota

Post Number: 1493
I am getting ready to buy an amp and build a box for the SoundSplinter RL-i 8" subs I just picked up. I have had a couple threads asking questions, but I would like final opinions.

Here are my thoughts:
1) I need my power at 1-ohm, so I am thinking a Rockford t5001bd. I don't think I can beat a 1000 RMS quality amp for $200 brand new, but I am open to suggestions.
2) I think I will go ported, as I want it to get fairly loud, but maintain SQ. The SS website suggests 0.3 cuft at 35hz. That is what I will go with, unless someone suggests something else.

Go with this? Change something up? Any suggestions are greatly apprecicated. Thanks guys.

Ben

Platinum Member
Username: Bestmankind

SOUND SPLINTER RL-S ON...

Post Number: 14728
i would seal those b!tches but thats just me cause i like sealed boxes. remember the rl-i is the little brother of the rl-s so it is geared toward sq.

but looks like you got everything under control. all i can say is good luck and may the force be with you.

Gold Member

Maple Grove, Minnesota

Post Number: 1496
haha thanks Chad. Will I lose a lot of output selaed or not?

Gold Member
Username: Wingmanalive

A pic is worth 1000 posts!!

Post Number: 9059
About 2-3 db's. But who cares? It's SS lol.

Gold Member
Username: Adddisorder

West palm, Florida

Post Number: 4945
port it, iv ran sq subs in sealed and ported and ported wins

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14731
well it really depends. yes you will lose noticeable output sealed. but the freq will play flat. that is what i like. i like all the bass notes to play evenly. don't want no peaky peaky.

Silver Member
Username: Denim

Www.TeamSSAudio.com, MD

Post Number: 413
The RL-i, like the RL-p really waken up ported, but still have plenty of clarity. My experience with RL-is point to ported for most installs.

Gold Member

West palm, Florida

Post Number: 4948
chad when you put the sub in a car evne it a sealed box it really changes things and from what i have found, and researched you will not have flat responce ~35hz and down.

if you port it fairly low ~29-32hz will actually help even the low end responce flatter, however it cuts of the top end, but why would anyone want 70hz+ comming from the back of their car from a sub anyway?

Gold Member
Username: Adam_s

Post Number: 1826
I would port those subs if I was you because I have heard very good things about them when they are ported and of course they will be louder.

Bronze Member
Username: Imnothereimjustvisiting

Post Number: 24
tune low and port it :-)

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14740
i guess the rl-i is really different. the rl-s sounds good sealed. way better sealed than ported.

also mat trust me when i say my sub plays down low with authority in a sealed. if you heard one you would know what i am talking about.:-)

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14741
since everyone is saying port it, i kinda feel like i got pwned. but not sure cause i never got pwned so i don't know what it feels like. lol.

Gold Member
Username: Jkidder

Spring hill, Florida Usa

Post Number: 1502
nah u didnt get pwned chad lee. ur sub would be a disgusting ht sub wouldnt it? since they are essentially ht subs.another example being avalanche

Gold Member
Username: Adam_s

Post Number: 1828
^^Haha. Sorry Chad the only reason that I said port them is because like denim said they really come alive once they are ported just like the rl-p. But you are right they would have amazing sound quality sealed but will still sound great ported from what I have heard.

Gold Member

West palm, Florida

Post Number: 4952
haha chad i dont doubt you at all. all subs are a little different, what i was saying was an in general type of deal, little different with every sub and car.

Gold Member

Maple Grove, Minnesota

Post Number: 1509
How low would you tune them? 35? 32? Something else?

Gold Member

West palm, Florida

Post Number: 4958
i think 30hz is the perfect tuning sq wise. not to much lag in response and also good low end and a flat frequency response. i saw chad had said use aeros, and thats a good idea because you can always change the tuning. just get 1 4" flared port from partsexpress.com or im sure someone has some extra ones.

Gold Member

Maple Grove, Minnesota

Post Number: 1512
Sorry for all the questions Mat. Final one then.

So I need one 4" aeroport. Or one for each sub? I then make a sealed box and insert the port? Or how would this work?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14744
your box won't be that big so put the subs in a common chamber and use only one 4 inch aero.

Silver Member
Username: Denim

Www.TeamSSAudio.com, MD

Post Number: 415
Chad you are correct on the SQ of the RL-i sealed, but their motor is a drastic departure from the RL-s motor. The RL-s need huge power and is a higher qts driver then the other two in the SS line up, making it more for sealed.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us