CDT HD-62 vs Pioneer c720prs

Bronze Member
Username: Paarlberg

Post Number: 15
I have narrowed down the front speaker selection for my 1993 Honda Civic HB. It is between the CDT HD-62 and Pioneer c720prs.

My amp is a Blaupunkt MPA-680us 55 RMS (140 peak) per channel, will use 2 channels to the front and bridge the other 2 for the JL 10" sub in the hatch area.

With the prices being $250-300 for the above, what would you recommend? I want to have decent low end up front (where the Pioneer wins in range) with the best overall SQ. I don't like the metalic sound of some tweeters (mb quart) so a softer tweeter is preferred. So soft tweeters, clean lows and mids are my preferrence..

I haven't heard either (no dealers near by for them), so looking for good advice. Your reason for picking one or the other would be great..

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
The specs for my amp are here..

http://www.conofrei.com/bpmanuals/NR/rdonlyres/12F8220C-B0B2-40CE-9BCE-C2EB5D349 CA6/0/MPA680.pdf

Gold Member
Username: Adddisorder

West palm, Florida

Post Number: 4942
i replyed to your pm, hopefully you got it, it returned your email addy saying it was no good.

this is what i wrote
cdt HDs are a good set. they have a silk tweeter so they shouldnt be as harsh at the MBs. they also have good midbass. they like power though 55rms is not alot. it will work but they wont get very loud. i would try it out before buying another amp but be prepared to find something taht does atleast 100rmsx2@4ohm.

cdt cl are nothing special and even over priced if you ask me. i would get phoenix gold rsd or octain zr but the rsd are better. and they should be ok on a smaller amp but again more power will get them louder. if your wify like loud bass and stuff i would 1 10 in a ported box ascendantaudio.com has some cheap low powered subs, the assassin would be a good choice and will sound very clean

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
Matt, thanks for the info..

I got it.. my spam filters are a little strict

Even though the amp is only rated at 55 RMS, it is much more powerful than that.. I think it is closer to 80-100. I have seen the same model listed with both 100 RMS and 55 RMS. I might have the 100 then..

How would the Pioneers do in this scenario (even if only 55RMS)?

As far as the wife, she usually keeps the HU with "LOUD" turned on and the BASS up to +4 and the TREB down to -4 (-15 to +15). She doesn't crank it very loud, more of a mellow level and still feel the bass when needed..

Gold Member

West palm, Florida

Post Number: 4944
that amp is 100rms at 2ohm. they should still sound nice on that power just try it out. they may not get super loud with that power though.

and yeah i would get that similar set up that i mentioned for you wife

Bronze Member

Post Number: 18
Thanks

What about the Elemental Designs eDi 6000s and 6500?

http://www.edesignaudio.com/edv2/product_info.php?t=3&products_id=49&page=2

http://www.edesignaudio.com/edv2/product_info.php?cPath=1_23&products_id=50

I see they have a nice 6.5" mini-sub as well for a tight fit location. If you watch the r&d video for the little sub, you will think you were on LSD with all the movement..

Bronze Member
Username: Sqwow

California

Post Number: 14
i would get the rsd radial, the fact that you can save alot and get great sq, but between the cdt hd62 and c720prs, without hesitating i recommend c720prs premier, hope it helps

Bronze Member

Post Number: 19
I see several models of the PG RSD on eBay for under $100, are these the ones you are talking about? The description is "PHOENIX GOLD RSd 65cs 6½" COMPONENT SPEAKERS RSd65cs"

Bronze Member

California

Post Number: 20
yes thats the one, those comps are rated high in the car audio magazine in the U.S. ,for a affordable price you get great sq , it is musically

Bronze Member

California

Post Number: 21
oh and about the elemental design 6000 or 6500 are nice set too, good price and picks up every instruments, thats what i heard from one of the article that i read

Bronze Member

Post Number: 20
The c720prs is very tempting based on its freq response. The eD is very tempting due to the price and very good reviews.

In my 4 door civic, I am considering the 6000 v2 with a pair of the eu-700 in the rear deck. Run about 50x4 or run them 3 way with about 100x2. That would be a nice 3-way for about $250.

Gold Member

West palm, Florida

Post Number: 4946
the ed speakers are basically just vifa;s which are pretty good.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 21
I think I will try a set of the 6000 series in my hatch first.. (or would the PG RSD be better) If they are good enough for the wife, then move them over to her car and add the 2x eu-700 mini-subs in the rear deck. Even though it is tempting to put a pair in the front doors with the 6000 v2 as well.. I just don't want to have to build a special speaker pod and having one built is not an option for the $$$$ reason.

Gold Member

West palm, Florida

Post Number: 4951
just search online for some reviews of both, and what is in your price range.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 22
I think the Pioneers are in the right price ( <300) range, there is a set of "B" HD-62 for 299 available thru one of the authorized retailers. That makes them tempting.

The Pioneers have an excellent review of them. I might just bite the bullet and get them.. then figure out something for the wife. A pair of c720prs and some dampening and I should be under 300 and might just pull the sub out and bridge the amp to 2x150. That should be a decent setup then.

Bronze Member

California

Post Number: 23
thats the way to go bro

Bronze Member

California

Post Number: 24
i sporting the emotional series by kenwood which most members here dont like, but im planning to replace them for c720prs

Gold Member
Username: Alteraudiousa

Concord

Post Number: 1583
the HDs are a nice set of components that are hard to beat in performance for the price. Never been fond of Pioneer tweeters of any sort but the set is a good set. With the amp's low power ratings the Pioneers may be better for that application. Given more power the HD's would be a great choice. If you are interested in the HD set feel free to email me for a member price on them.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us