Post Number: 1
what do ohms mean and do......

.5 2 4 8 ohms?

Silver Member
Username: Tatonka

Post Number: 715
From www.bcae1.com

Ohm:
As said earlier, the ohm is the unit of measure of a device's opposition to the flow of current. One ohm of resistance will allow only one amp of current to flow through a circuit when one volt of electrical force is applied to the circuit. If I am redundant in some of the definitions, it is to help to make things clearer.

All power sources are designed to operate into some sort of a load. Power supplies are generally designed to maintain a given voltage into some given load. Let's say we have a 12 volt power supply that's designed to deliver 1 amp of current. If we connect a load that has a resistance of 24 ohms, this will allow 1/2 of the power supply's max current to flow through the load. If we connect a second 24 ohm load across the power supply's output terminals, the power supply will be delivering the maximum safe current output possible without damaging the supply. If we connect a third load across the supply, the output current will be 1.5 times as much as the supply can safely deliver (assuming that the supply can maintain it's rated voltage under the heavy load) and the supply will soon blow a fuse or fail. The same thing happens when you connect too low of an ohm load to an amplifier. Lower ohm loads can allow the amplifier to produce more output current (which results in more output power - to be discussed later) but too low of an ohm load will cause the amplifier to fail. The amplifier expects to 'see' a certain minimum resistance (ohms) to assure a limited maximum current flow at maximum output.

Silver Member
Username: Kpa2727

Post Number: 507
the easiest way to say it is a resistance. a load bearing on a source. what they do in car audio is alow you to run ssay at more power with effiency. in a nut shell but i'm sure someone else can help you better like say..... idk http://www.google.com

Username: _sb_

Post Number: 2
thanks because i have a audiobahn 15' imortal and i was wondering what the hell quad 2 ohms was
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us