Ot:: Question? Hifonics bxi 1606 D Gain?

Silver Member
Username: Kpa2727

Post Number: 505
u seen my vid and so on but i'm still puzzzeled. i can't set my gain by multi meter. the volts just don't add up. i'm runnin 2 ohms at 1100 watts. the voltage in AC mode only hits 25 volts with the gain cranked all the way up. the vid i made is with the volts around roughly 5 - 6 only. yet the calculator suggest 40 or so volts. my hu's pre outs are 4 volts and also there is no sub output it's a pioneer 4900 ib hu. it only has bass boost and lows that i know of. i'm not tryin to be annoying but i'm just at a loss as to how to fix this i don't wanna toast my type - r.

Silver Member

Post Number: 509
bump for help.

Gold Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

Post Number:...

Post Number: 4059
Well...you are setting the gain with the sub disconnected from the amp right?Also if your HU has a sub level output you may need to turn that amp to boost the voltage from the HU.

Platinum Member
Username: Bestmankind

SOUND SPLINTER RL-S ON...

Post Number: 14715
was the volume at 3/4?

did you use a test tone within your lpf range? like 50hz or so.

have you tried a different dmm? maybe you have a bad one?

did you set the ac voltage range on your dmm withing the target voltage?

did you connect it good to the amp?

if all else fails, you can always do it by ear.

here is how i do it by ear sometimes.

turn the gain all the way down on your sub amp.
disconnect the rca to the component amp so you don't get any sound from your front stage.
get one of your favorite song that has good bass.
put your hu's volume at 3/4 and play the song.
now start turning the gain up slowly until you start to hear a bit of distortion.
when you start to hear a little distortion, turn the gain down until it sounds clean.
now connect the component amp and you are all set.

Silver Member

Post Number: 511
thats how i tuned it chad one problem, i don't here the sub distorting and even got the amp to turn off from going to high at that point i turned it down alot. only thing i didn't try was my other dmm i have 2. i didht see what happens and otherwise, yes to all chad. 50 hz test tone i use. rob yes and it's a poneer 4900 ib, as far as i know there is no sub level.

Silver Member

Post Number: 515
after a little tip from the amp section i found out the only way my brutus puts out the voltage. is if i turn the low pass up to where i want it at around 80 hz. so i tuned it just now at about 3 am and really can't crank it but it showed the voltage just fine. only bad thing i touched the body and a amp speaker terminal 2 times on accident and let 46.9 volts zap me which hurt like hell.

Gold Member
Username: Jkidder

Spring hill, Florida Usa

Post Number: 1473
49.6 volts zapped u dude u should pretty much be dead lol

Silver Member
Username: Kklagge

San Diego

Post Number: 483
You could always just set the gain using the numbers on the amp...it goes from 0.2 - 9 volts...turn it a little less than 1/2 way from the 9 to the 0.2 and it should be very close to the 4v output from your HU...it's a good place to start if all else fails

Silver Member

San Diego

Post Number: 484
The 4900ib HU should have Sub outputs on it...ranging from +6 to -24

It has 3 sets of RCA's...make sure you're using the right ones...

Or make sure you really have the 4900ib

Bronze Member
Username: Thed42

Post Number: 70
Fools, It is current that will kill you not voltage. Learn basic electric theory and then post something logical.

Gold Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

Post Number:...

Post Number: 4062
"Fools, It is current that will kill you not voltage. Learn basic electric theory and then post something logical."

Thanks for helping with the topic. :-)

Gold Member
Username: Jkidder

Spring hill, Florida Usa

Post Number: 1476
sry ima dumbass. i thought amplifier was carrying current at the time?

Gold Member
Username: Jblanford

Post Number: 2121
"Fools, It is current that will kill you not voltage. Learn basic electric theory and then post something logical."

you my friend, are a fuckup :-)

and keith...you may need to adjust a few headunit settings. me and ogle had a problem like this not to long ago and i believe it ended up being the rca's

Silver Member

Post Number: 518
well i got hit with 46 volts ac and it's not so much current, as amperage. u can take a 1000 volts but as long as it's low amperage. but yea it hurt like hell and i felt weird all night i'm ok now though. yea, it is deff a 4900 ib but i never used the sub output but oddly the amp does proper voltage when it's high pass is at 80 hz.i had a infinity 1600 a that would do 600 rms. and i had no problem stting voltage but that was still set from my old hu to so idk i'll have to try the hu thing and see what happens.

Silver Member

Post Number: 526
bump for curiosity? i have sub kind of output on the radio i noticed like kklagge said. say i plus 6 it and set my gains. do i leave it alone after that or do i turn the hu bk down on the sub output after it's tuned?

Silver Member

San Diego

Post Number: 485
Put the sub output to +6 to set the gains...then after that you can leave it there or turn it down to suit your tastes or the varying difference in bass between songs.

I have mine at +4 at usually don't change it very often (sometimes when I have a CD from the late 70's in the player it needs a little bump)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us