Honda civic suggestions

Username: Paarlberg

Post Number: 1
I have 2 honda civics that I want to upgrade.

1. 1993 Civic HB
Current System
Denon DCR-970 (about 12 years old, but sounds excellent)
Blaupunkt BPA-680us amp
JL Audio 10" sub
MB Quart DSE-216 (just got them and they really suck) was using 12 year old JBL components until last week (and they were mnuch better thant MB Q). Tweets are in the upper part of the door.

2. 1996 Honda Civic 4D
stock system
6.5 in front
6x9 in rear

I do not want to cut up either car to do the speaker install. Will consider a speaker pod in car #2 to replace the door pocket (where maps, and other junk will go)

I am looking at CDT for the speakers. I did find some of the JBL (newer model than my old ones) on ebay for a decent price, so that is an option.

I have not been able to find a dealer in Atlanta that has CDT for me to listen to before diving in.

Car #1 I can go up to about $250-300 for speakers.

Car #2 I can go up to about $350 (not including sub) for speakers.

I am not looking to blast out the neighborhood, just looking for good SQ and decent clean bass.

Most of the music will be similar to the following..

Pink Floyd
The Cure
The Eagles
70-80's music (classic rock)
Jazz
Depeche Mode, ELO and ABBA (for the wife)
no rap or hip hop..

Looking at possibly something similar to the Clarion Marine AMP (class A) 4x80RMS in car #2. Would prefer not to have a sub in car #2, unless I can get a CDT M6(+) (or similar) to fit under the driver and passenger seat.

Post Number: 2
The attached is the door from a 1996. The black line is where I would like to build a door speaker pod (if needed) to handle something like the CDT M6(+) for lower bass up front. My estimates will give me about .4-.5 cu ft of enclosure in that area at about 5" deep. This should be enough to give good solid bass on the low end up front without the need for a dedicated sub.

Upload

The only issue is I have never built any pods before and would probably screw something up. The map area in the door is easily removed. This should be an interesting option. Although that would exceed my current speaker budget. With an M6(+) in the door and a set of HD62 as well (using the door cavity thru a full depth baffle from the front of the pod to the rear) that would be a very nice setup based on the specs.

Upload

Speakers are not to scale..

Post Number: 4
My Denon is a DCT-950R not DCR-970

Post Number: 5
After a little research, this is what I think would be the best..

This would eliminate the need for a dedicated sub to go low.. Throw in a pair of the CL-69x in the rear and that area is covered.

Based on the diagram below, I can just remove the map area and factory speaker pod (if you can call it that). Build a custom pod that would fill in the map/storage/junk tray area and create an enclosure with about .4-.5 cu ft. That would be more than enough for the M6 or M6+ to use and go down to the nether regions below 30hz.. Throw a tweeter in the dash area and it should work quite well. I could also just put the tweeter in the pod.

Would it be best to use another mid so that the M6 could roll off at about 80hz and not carry the load up to the tweeters? If so, would a 4" be sufficient?

Upload

Username: Sqwow

California

Post Number: 1
change your head unit as best you can

Post Number: 7
The HU that I listed is in a different car than the one I am looking at the door pod. Even though the Denon is 12+ years old, I think it out performs many of the < $300 HU out there. It has one of the cleanest CD portions I have found. The tuner side is not as good as some of the Pioneer HUs though.

It has RDS and some other features that are not available until you get up to about $300 range. RDS is a requirement for me.. Once you have it, you want it..

I like it so much that I bought a cassette version and a Denon 12 disk changer for another car and it is as nice.

The one with the door pod, has a stock Honda radio and an Alpine 6 disk changer (was installed when I bought it). So that one will have to be upgraded to something..

Bronze Member

California

Post Number: 17
ya denon is good but they dont really make new ones anymore, well if your old denon sounds great then keep them running , i remember when they where rivals with mcintosh and naka,

Silver Member
Username: Wojopro

Summerville, SC

Post Number: 285
Yup, I am a firm believer in if it aint broke dont fix it. Keep the denon if it makes ya happy.

Gold Member
Username: Adddisorder

West palm, Florida

Post Number: 4960
yeah denon is a nice head unit.

put phoenix gold rsd speakers in your wifes car with an amp like 75rmsx2 and then get like a mid level pioneer or alpine.

for you get some rainbow germaniums and a phoenix gold xenon x200.2

Gold Member
Username: Alteraudiousa

Concord

Post Number: 1581
david email me or PM me and we can talk about your ideas. Definitely a good idea though where you are going.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 23
If I did the rsd in my wife's car, I will need to get something with a little low end to it. Do you think the eD eu-700 would be a good option for the rear deck?

I just found out that the front speakers in the 96 sedan (wife's car) are 6.25 and not 6.5 as listed by Honda and most sites.

Gold Member
Username: Alteraudiousa

Concord

Post Number: 1582
the eu-700 are too big also. For your wifes car its probably better to go like Alpine or something or get like Cl-e series and make a spacer for it. It would be a squeeze but could work. As for yours since you're doing some customwork on it, the limit is whatever you feel comfortable trying. My suggestion is to do the M6 in pods in the door and if you want to throw the HD-3 in with it. I personally would put the 3in driver in the kick with the tweeter. Also you could use the HD-2 and just have the right crossover for it for a 3way or get the 2way version of it.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 24
I saw on the eD site where the eu-700s are used in a 6x9 slot alot with an MDF adapter. That is why I have been considering them. Small and cost effective, not looking to rumble the car, just enough to know you have some kick in the car...

Bronze Member

Post Number: 25
Where can I get the germaniums for a good price?

Bronze Member

California

Post Number: 25
try at speedsound.com

Bronze Member

Post Number: 26
They were still very high.. I think the Pioneers will do the trick in my car..

The Kenwoods I have in my Accord wagon are KFC-X178 (2 pairs), I am going to take the rear ones out and put them in the back of my wife's car and get a pair of the KFC-X168 for the front. These have good bass with an HU so that should be good for her (for now). I might add a CarPC to hers to put some MP3s on it (I have about 80 CDs ripped to MP3 now).

I will replace the KFC-X178 that I take out of my wagon with a pair of 4" in the rear headliner (stock speakers were there) and a small sub (eu-700 or similar) in the stock sub location (6x9 opening) and 1 in the storage box in the right rear 1/4 panel area.

This is the least expensive route to get all cars happy.. Just need a decent HU with inputs and RDS (maybe HD as well) for my wife's car.

Bronze Member

California

Post Number: 26
i see that you nee a decent HU wiht RDS, try panasonic mxe, they have affordable price and decent

Gold Member
Username: Adddisorder

West palm, Florida

Post Number: 4970
premier-audio.com
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us