What is the best enclosure for my new solo x with 1600 watt Hi fonics (pics)

Username: Patrick_ortiz

San antonio, Tx Usa

Post Number: 1
Hey yall my names pat, and I just bought a 10" solo x and a Hifonics brutus 1606 mono block 1 ohm stable. first question is can my sub be wired to 1 ohm, if it is a dual 1 ohm voice coil model?

And second what is the best ported enclosure I can have built for it (that will fit in a sebring).

thanks

ps. anyone who is interested in buying one of these subs, just DO IT, dont listen to all the mumbo jumbo, its well built and weighs like 50 pounds (10 inch)

Here are some pics

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewPicture&friendID=2 6502877&albumId=1313013

Gold Member
Username: Wingmanalive

A pic is worth 1000 posts!!

Post Number: 8977
If it's a dual 1 ohm vc then no it can't be wired to 1 ohm.

Not sure what you mean by "best ported enclosure".

Gold Member
Username: Basssquared

Kansas

Post Number: 1083
Project pat you set your profile to private and then put a link here hahahahahahahahahahahaha only your friends can see those pics and since i dont think many of us here are we cant see SH!T

San antonio, Tx Usa

Post Number: 2
here is a pic, What i meant was what is the best design for the box maybe you can make a quick design or somthing on paint and show me thanks

Upload

San antonio, Tx Usa

Post Number: 3
here is another isnt it awesome

Upload

Silver Member
Username: Big_edge_head

Milwaukee, Wisconsin USA

Post Number: 368
that things a beast for a 10 inch

Gold Member
Username: Bernymac

BME

Post Number: 3195
Should never post a picture of you holding your subwoofer. Bad things will happen. You shall see :-)

San antonio, Tx Usa

Post Number: 4
ya my cars gonna fall apart when i turn it on haha

Platinum Member
Username: Chaunb3400

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 12659
more power or go home...

Gold Member
Username: Jkidder

Spring hill, Florida Usa

Post Number: 1416
lmao. ur underpowering that sub so insanely. man up. btw that looks like a 12 dude

Gold Member
Username: Logan__tille

Team Revolution

Post Number: 8803
Yea it does look like a 12

Gold Member
Username: Jblanford

Post Number: 2105
oh man

Gold Member
Username: Nyyfan13

Fi SSD USA

Post Number: 5692
wheres nick v at? lol

am i the only one here whos thinks its funny that this dudes name is project pat(one black ace rapper) yet appears to make george bush appear black?

Gold Member
Username: Nyyfan13

Fi SSD USA

Post Number: 5693
uhh bump?

San antonio, Tx Usa

Post Number: 5
number one i am a democrat, number two i love hcp, and i have followed them since 7 years ago. number three i have seen that exact subwoofer blow at 2700 watts from a hifonics, at 2 ohms. I AM NOT ASKING FOR YOUR OPINION ON THE SIZE ( which is 10 inches i will measure it if u want) . I would like to know them dimensions of the box i should use. THANK YOU

San antonio, Tx Usa

Post Number: 6
im sorry for talking crap im just the biggest project pat fan and i have all his cds. That sub in the pics is a 10 inch solo x ( I will take a picture will a measuring tape for u guys if you ask for it) I need to know the dimensions for the box i need. Thanks

Silver Member
Username: Tejcurrent

Post Number: 169
I vote republican...
They aren't bs-ing you, that sub needs more power.
If one blew with 2700watts it was probably clipped, played well below tuning, or something else very wrong was done.
They are beefy subs, but you can't state how great it is off appearance alone. It may look mean, but you could hook it up and have problems a week from now. To me its no beefier than a fi btl, or a dd9500, or several other subs. Just my thoughts.

Glad you like it but give it more power! If you were to get another one of those amps and have one per coil, that would be much better. 3000 watts would make it move nicely. Personally I'd sell that amp and get a kicker 2500 or something, but I'm just offering friendly advice.

Contact kicker on the specs of the box, and give it plenty of port. Good luck, post some build pics when you get there.

Silver Member

Post Number: 170
I'm guessing its an 04? I just read the owners manual, kinda vauge. It says 2.25cuft port 42"sq fb of 44hz with 25hz ssfilter in a tuner, 4.91ft port 60"sq with fb of 45hz with 25hz ssfilter in an suv. I don't know how they're determing that an suv will peak at that, when I put one twelve in the back of my old yukon it peaked around 38-40hz... anyway..

Doesn't suprise me if people are doing this and playing rap with low bass that they're blowing them. Playing well below tuning with the filter set too low can really cause some problems in the long run.

Just give it 2.5 ft and around 40sq of port and I'm sure it'll be fine. If you don't plan on competing seriously, mainly for music tune it to 32-35hz to get some good bass on rap.
I'm just recommending that off of what the manual says, you do what you want, or contact kicker for better info.

Gold Member
Username: 04redmach1

Columbus, GA USA

Post Number: 1170
You are severly under powering the sub. That amp will give you maybe 1400 rms. As Troy said, I guarantee they were clipping the sub when it blew at 2700 rms, or they had a SPL sub tuned at 40hz and played a rap cd for about an hour. OF course, Kicker isn't what they use to be, so meh, could be anything. All in all, you got a comp sub for daily application.

Kevin

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Southeast PA

Post Number: 3139
" All in all, you got a comp sub for daily application. "

x10000

Those things sound like azz, the are strictly designed for competition where it doesn't matter how it sounds, just has to be loud.

Gold Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

Post Number:...

Post Number: 4027
"OF course, Kicker isn't what they use to be, so meh, could be anything. All in all, you got a comp sub for daily application. "

Kicker mass produces and that allows for lots of room for error.There's nothing wrong with having a comp sub for daily.If you want something loud in a compact size you have it right there.Go over to caraudio.com and look for a guy named ToxicTuan,you can send him a PM.Toss him a few bucks and he'll give you the loudest design possible.

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Southeast PA

Post Number: 3148
Last I heard TTB stopped selling plans, did I miss something?

Silver Member
Username: Tatonka

Post Number: 706
"Should never post a picture of you holding your subwoofer. Bad things will happen."

I Agree.
Upload

Silver Member
Username: Philly306

North carolina

Post Number: 209
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Silver Member
Username: Chuck78

Post Number: 110

Gold Member

Post Number: 2111
oh man

Gold Member

Kansas

Post Number: 1086
PWNED SO FUCKKING BAD

Silver Member

Post Number: 176
not even right lol

Gold Member

Post Number: 4029
"Last I heard TTB stopped selling plans, did I miss something?"

You missed a lot.Pete was the one originally selling plans and he had stopped.He is now making plans again and selling them.Tuan is a whole different guy.He will SOMETIMES hook people up but he does charge for his plans because they are usually his own that he spent countless time on.I can't recall but I believe Pete is selling plans and then a shop that he's working with builds the boxes.

San antonio, Tx Usa

Post Number: 7
wow all i get is made fun of and no adivce???? 2400 watts is enough for that sub i thought

San antonio, Tx Usa

Post Number: 8
wow did u seriously take the time to do that , haha dang buddy get alife thanks rob i contact that guy

Gold Member

Kansas

Post Number: 1087
Its ok Patricia dont cry

Gold Member
Username: Denali_on_22s

Im just light up my......

Post Number: 2576
You dont have 2400 watts, dude. You're talkin about running 1400 maybe on a sub that needs 2500+ daily. If you're gonna ask advice then do it, but don't disagree with us when you're wrong that will only make things worse for ya.

Silver Member
Username: Tatonka

Post Number: 708
"wow did u seriously take the time to do that , haha dang buddy get alife thanks rob i contact that guy"

Some1 can't take a joke. And I got a life, Photshop makes me more money than you can imagine. That picture took me 15 minutes at the most to make. You are a complete idiot for thinking that the hifonics you have is pushing 2400. Now go away Patricia before i pwn you again.

Silver Member

Post Number: 178
Where did 2400 come from? You stated you had one 1600 watt hifonics amp, which really puts out about 1500 or a little less. Without an upgraded electrical system chances are you wont see that either. Then you have dual 1 ohm coils, which means it will have to be wired at 2 ohms-(it is impossible to wire it to 1 ohm), putting you below 1000 watts. Now if you get 2 amps, and put one per coil, then you will see around 2800. Or one kicker 2500 would do that sub justice at 2 ohms.

Suggestion 1: get more power as stated by many, the kicker 2500 is ideal at 2 ohms.
Suggestion 2: already said about the box.

"wow all i get is made fun of and no adivce???? 2400 watts is enough for that sub i thought"

I also posted straight from the manual addressing your box question. YOU own a sebring, I do not, but the box recomendations are right in front of you. If you're having someone else build it, drive to them. If you're doing it, break out the measurer.

That's all the answers you asked for right there, so unless you're ignoring it because you're a democrat and I'm republican or something...

I can't/won't, and I doubt any member on this forum will tell you the best dimension for you to build in your trunk. Multiply internal hxlxw and subract the port displacement to figure that out. Tune it to 32-35hz if you plan on listening to music. If you need help determining port length to get the desired tuning frequency, find out how much space you're going to give the sub and I can figure that out for you.

And I'm sorry, that pic is very very funny. I'd laugh even if it was me.

Gold Member
Username: Skibum12189

Cleveland

Post Number: 1236
alright alright time out!

project pat, unfortunately, if anyone ever posts any picture of anybody, someone on here chooses to have a little fun with it, you're not the first, and you're definitely not the last. its all in good fun though

and the people who have given you advice are not lying to you....that sub will freaking slam if you give it enough power...the hifonics 1606 will maybe give it 1400 rms which is not nearly enough power for it...you're going to want to either A)buy an amp that does about 3000 watts rms at 2 ohms which would be very rare (preferably kicker Zx2500 or similar) and in doing that, you will NEED to buy a new alternator, upgrade all your car's wiring, and buy a few batteries, not to mention get some rediculously loud azz speakers and all in all, that's way more power than i and (most likely) you can handle or want..

or B) you can sell the solo x and maybe even the hifonics, spend a couple days or weeks or more reading on this forum and talking about car audio with the people on ecoustics. If you give us the amount of money you have and what you're looking for (loud - spl, loud while sounding nice - sq, or very clean sounding - sq) we should be able to hook you up with a fat system dude.

San antonio, Tx Usa

Post Number: 10
so it would be good to just buy another identical hifonics , and a cap, then i should be good. right only about another 400 bucks thats not so bad, ya ya ya whatever ok i got owned.

you win

hey im gonna take some videos of that sebring with the solo x in it, and when i get that other hifonics ill take another.....

thats my buddys with the spiked hair, my car is a caprice classic with two 12 inch l7s (that also happened to be really underpowered) with a 1200.1 db drive ....

the solo x gets finished tomorrow at texas sounds you guys dont think its gonna sound that bad with just 1100 watts i mean it will still bump pretty loud right?

Gold Member
Username: Crayola0

Future 15 Wanger!!, Wisconsin

Post Number: 2041
a cap wont do anything if u dont have an upgraded electrical system.....and to run that much power electrical shoudl be the first thing u upgrade before u ruin all ur stuff before u even get to enjoy it

Gold Member

Post Number: 4049
"the solo x gets finished tomorrow at texas sounds you guys dont think its gonna sound that bad with just 1100 watts i mean it will still bump pretty loud right?"

Honestly...no.That's not enough power to get that suspension moving.The least I'd throw at that sub is 2500 watts RMS.You can trust me on this, I own an 18'' Solo X.You could make a very small box for the sub with that little power to get some decent output for it.I hope you'll be able to hear it on 1100 watts but I think your speakers will drown out the bass.

Username: Heavyhitterbass

Genoa, Il Usa

Post Number: 3
hey pat in my truck. I got the brutus 2000w it slams my type r 12's pretty hard. in my comp astro van i have 2 solo x 12 and 2 soundstream 10000 watt amps running off of 3 optima batteries and 3 h/o alternators. this sub demands power everyone else is right you need to get a bigger amp i recommend the soundstream trantula 10000 watt amp hands down with a ported box 3.8 cu ft box tuned at 35 hz

Gold Member

Post Number: 4057
"hey pat in my truck. I got the brutus 2000w it slams my type r 12's pretty hard. in my comp astro van i have 2 solo x 12 and 2 soundstream 10000 watt amps running off of 3 optima batteries and 3 h/o alternators. this sub demands power everyone else is right you need to get a bigger amp i recommend the soundstream trantula 10000 watt amp hands down with a ported box 3.8 cu ft box tuned at 35 hz"

That's easier said than done Joseph.The vehicle is a Sebring,have fun getting 3 alts in there or even a large batt bank.That car is not meant for towing and doesn't have the torque to have that kind of alt or battery install.How far is Genoa from Chicago?I'd like to take a look at your setup.Would you have pics by any chance?

Bronze Member

San antonio, Tx Usa

Post Number: 12
OK , it got finished, the box is 3.25 1 inch mdf, but this is my problem.

Normally with my L7s they pick up the higher bass notes better than the lows, What i mean is they vibrate more than they rumble.........

This solo x is the exact opposite, it barely plays the high notes , but when it goes real low the whole sebring rocks so hard it feels like the car is moving sidways on the pavement.....

if i get another amp will the higher bass notes play louder, or will it just behave the same way just louder on the super lows....

it feels like playing those real low notes is realy dangerous for that solo x because the excursion is like 2 inches at some points....

I am FULLY prepared to buy another amp or perhaps a larger one , but only if the sub will play more of the higher notes

what frequency do i set all the amp settings????

EXPLAIN PLEASE AND DONT CRITICIZE!!!!

Silver Member

Post Number: 181
What are you tuned to?
What is your subsonic filter set to?
After knowing that you'll know where to set your subsonic filter.

If it's moving what you consider to be too much on those lower notes chances are you could mess something up, and you should set your subsonic filter higher.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4060
Keep in mind that you can only run so much power on a stock charging system.If you plan on upgrading your amp you have to upgrade in other areas first.

Platinum Member
Username: Bestmankind

SOUND SPLINTER RL-S ON...

Post Number: 14719
that solo x plays low. all the solo x's i've heard plays really low. i mean lowwwww. not to mention real loud at that low freq. that is why you need a good comp up front to compensate for the upper bass freq.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2122
"in my comp astro van i have 2 solo x 12 and 2 soundstream 10000 watt amps running off of 3 optima batteries and 3 h/o alternators."

i doubt that

Bronze Member
Username: Djb0501

Post Number: 23
If you bought a SoloX thinking it was going to play the full range of notes with clarity, you bought the wrong sub. You're definitely underpowering it, and likely running the risk of clipping it, but you're not going to get much more power out of stock electrical and alternator. Like Rob said above, you'll want to upgrade your electrical before you start feeding it more power.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4073
""in my comp astro van i have 2 solo x 12 and 2 soundstream 10000 watt amps running off of 3 optima batteries and 3 h/o alternators."

i doubt that"

Well...I don't doubt it.I heard of a guy here in Illinois that has that exact setup and that's why I asked for pics.The guy that my friend told me about has a shop somewhere in a suburb so...I figured it could be him.

Silver Member

Post Number: 183
I had one of those ss 10000s, beefy as hell. Definitely not 10,000 on a 12v system... Beefy as anything though.

Username: Heavyhitterbass

Genoa, Il Usa

Post Number: 5
Pat it all depends what part of chicago your from. but from o'hare area to genoa is about 1hr give or take on traffic.... my shop is in Rockford,IL...called United Audio inside the Auto Extras building. go to urbantanks.com to see some of my work. I don't know if I'm the one your friend is talking about if so then.....cool!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us