Dual 2ohm subs off 1ohm amp?

Username: Evoixmr

Post Number: 4
I am getting 2 12" FI Q 1000w subs but I dont know which to get dual 2ohm or dual 1ohm. Im looking at the memphis mcd2500 amp 2500w x 1ohm. I dont know how to wire the subs at a 1ohm load and dont know what wattage it will feed each speaker. thank in advance for any suggestions.

Gold Member
Username: Naledge503

Http://com4.runboard.c...

Post Number: 1453
You will want dual 1 ohm subs.

This is a wiring diagram for two, 2 ohm subs....just wire the two dual 1 subs the same exact way for a final impedance of 1 ohm.

http://www.crutchfield.com/learningcenter/car/subwoofers_wiring.html?imageID=2DV C%5F2%2Dohm%5Fmono

Post Number: 5
so dual 1ohm subs. Would I need a 2000w rms amp to run two 1000w rms subs? If so any suggestion on a amp that is 1ohm stable? I heard that the memphis amps are good but I can only find a 2500w and i think this may be to much power.

Gold Member
Username: 420alldaylong

Post Number: 2402
Th3Vir3s

Whats your budget for amp?

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Southeast PA

Post Number: 3130
^^^^^ X2 need to know that

And FYI there is no such thing a having "too much power" available, you don't have to use it all. You can adjust the gain to have the amp put out any amount of power up to it's maximum.

Post Number: 6
I dont really have a budget. Do you know wether I need a 1000.1 or a 2000.1 amp for 2 dual 1ohm 1000w rms subs? I've heard memphis amps were stable at one ohm. Also at what point should you upgrade the alternator and what is the big 3?

Gold Member
Username: Nyyfan13

Fi SSD USA

Post Number: 5680
if your getting 2 dual 1 ohm Fi Q's, you'll want an amp that does 2000rms @ 1 ohm, 2500rms @ 1 ohm would work as well.

once you hit 1000rms, then you want to look into getting a HO alt and big three and some batts possibly

Post Number: 7
whats big 3?

What are some quality 2000w amps that would be good for a sql setup? I'm looking for something that is 1 ohm stable as a daily driver.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1472
If you dont have a budget and dont have the subs yet, get the dual 2 ohm subs and a zapco c2k9.0x.

this is the big 3

http://www.the12volt.com/installbay/forum_posts.asp~TID~73496~PN~1

Post Number: 8
That amps def sick but dwamn!!!

I'm lookin for something comparable to the memphis mcd2500 but dont want to get raped on the price. Also is it better to run 2 ohm impendance or 1 ohm?

Should I use 0 gauge wire to upgrade the big 3 and power the amps?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1473
lol...memphis is a nice amp. If you want to run a 2 ohm load look at the kicker zx2500.1. It is 2 ohm stable and a power house. You have to use 0 gauge wire to run that much power, and do the big 3. You will also need an H/O alternator and most likely an extra battery.

Post Number: 10
Is it better to run on 1 ohm impendance or 2 ohm or does it not make a huge diff?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
Some amps say "accepts 14,12,8 gauge wire" can you still wire it w/ 0 gauge or does the amp have to specify 0 gauge?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 24
M.S. FYI the gain is not to be used as a volume control, it is there to match the preamp outs on your head unit check out http://www.bcae1.com/gaincon2.htm
Just for some clarify on too much power

Bronze Member

Post Number: 28
Then again im kinda new to this stuff I could be wrong

Gold Member

Post Number: 1481
Dude, M.S. is one of the most knowledgeable people on here. What he means is, if you are running an amp that is over the power that you can use, you set the gains lower. basically you are amplifying a weaker signal creating less power..

Bronze Member

Post Number: 30
Like I said I'm new to this I could be wrong. My bad. I reread the link I posted and I kinda uderstand it a little more. Basically if the amp has a gain of 2v-9v you can control the voltage powering your amp, less volts=less watts?

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Southeast PA

Post Number: 3144
" once you hit 1000rms, then you want to look into getting a HO alt and big three "

Right

" and some batts "

Unnecessary, unless you're going to isolate the 2nd one and play the system with the engine off.

" Is it better to run on 1 ohm impedance or 2 ohm or does it not make a huge diff? "

Some amps are designed to run at 2 ohms, others at 1 ohm. Depends on the amplifier.

" FYI the gain is not to be used as a volume control "

I can't even count how many times I've told people exactly that and given them a bcae1 link.

BTW I think this graphic from that page explains it pretty well:

The gain is not a volume control in that you can't just turn it up and get more power, what you will get is more distortion/clipping. You can however turn it down and get less power.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us