I just switched amps, but...

Username: Mitchw

Post Number: 1
Here's the story. I had a MTX Blue Thunder Pro 1502 amp powering just two 12" subs. Amp blew a couple weeks ago, so I bought a sony xm-554zr amp. Got it all hooked up yesterday, but I noticed this amp is barely pushing any bass out of my subs. Actually, the only way any decent bass is coming out, is if I turn the 'Loud' option on on my deck, but then my front speakers start to distort. Any help?

Gold Member
Username: Ctmike

Ct.

Post Number: 4882
what are the specs on both the subs and that amp? have you made sure you wired them correctly? hu have a subwoofer control? if so, is it on? post a little more info.

also, it might help to stop buying crap. sorry, but sony? bottom of the list for car audio.

Post Number: 2
yeah I know Sony is crap, but as long as it powers my subs, Im happy.

Subs are rated at 450 watts each. Old amp was 425 watts, while this sony one is 600, so youd think it would do just as good as the other amp, but meh...

Unfortunatly, my deck is sony too, and it has a sub control, but for some reason doesnt work with this amp. Theres no difference if the sub control is turned all the way up/down, which is weird cause thats how I used to tweak my old amp.

Gold Member

Ct.

Post Number: 4884
what subs you have and vc (voice coil) of them. and each sub is 450wrms and the amp is 600wrms? is everything set correctly, gain, hu? wiring all good?

Post Number: 3
subs are pioneer impp from years back. Everything is wired fine, its hooked up exactly like my old amp was, and the lpf is turned to max.

Gold Member

Ct.

Post Number: 4885
turned to max? and what would that be? try turning it to around 60-80. and the gain is set correctly? no bass boost? you shouldn't really need to be using loudness on the hu. again, post specs of the amp and the vc of the subs.

Post Number: 4
Theres no gain switch/dial on this amp, just one for hpf and lpf. And I know I shouldnt be using loudness on the head unit, I prefer not to, but thats the only way the amp pushes the subs to put out some decent bass.

Specs on the amp are:
Rated power output: 55W x 4 (4 ohms)
Max power output: 600W (2 ohms)
LPF (80Hz, -18dB/Oct)
HPF (80Hz, -12dB/Oct)

Not sure on the subs, Ill have to look online for the specs.

Gold Member

Ct.

Post Number: 4886
here's the specs:
4 x 55W RMS @ 4Ohm
4 x 65W RMS @ 2Ohm
1 x 130W RMS @ 4Ohm - Bridged

i'd say it's safe to say, regardless of the subs specs, you need more power. alot more power. get a new amp, and this time better brand. what subs you have?

Post Number: 5
Subs are 12" Pioneer IMPP from quite a few years ago.

Gold Member

Ct.

Post Number: 4887
well if they are 450wrms each, get a new amp. post the vc's of the subs and a budget and you'll get some help on finding an amp for them.

Post Number: 6
Okay, Ill return it to the place I bought it and hopefully theyll have a better one there. What certain specs should I look for before buying one?

Gold Member

Ct.

Post Number: 4888
go with a mono amp. if they are 450wrms each, about 1000wrms at whatever ohm load needed. so if they're dual 4ohm vc each, 1000wrms @ 1ohm. dual 2ohm vc subs, 1000wrms @ 2ohm. if going ported, make sure the amp has a subsonic filter. and what's your budget, i happen to have an amp for sale, 1000wrms @ 1ohm if that works with your subs.

Post Number: 7
How about this:

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?sku_id=0665000FS10074271&catid=1 1032&logon=&langid=EN#

I plan to get newer/better subs soon anyways, will this do me?

Gold Member

Ct.

Post Number: 4891
why not just get a mono? it'll be easier getting the power you want, and cheaper, by getting a mono.

also, NO ONE CAN TELL YOU AN AMP RECOMMENDATION WITHOUT YOU POSTING THE VOICE COILS OF THE SUBS. POST THE VC OF THEM AND RMS (UNLESS YOU'RE 100% SURE IT'S 450W EACH).

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 6384
Mitch, don't waste your money on futureshop. The amount of money they're charging you, you can order better amps from the states at a lower cost.
How much money you willing to spend? Do you have eBay account?
I can sell you RE 15" MT sub that's rated 2500w - 5000w. I've built custom box for it too. You won't find a sub like that anywhere in Canada.
The whole thing weighs close to 120lbs.
This is the same sub that blew JL dealer away in competition/demo.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us