Subs overheating

Bronze Member
Username: B3n07

Louisville, Ky USA

Post Number: 72
how do you subs over heat and if they are how do you fix the problem so it doenst contunie please help me with this i dont want to blow my subs

Gold Member
Username: Jkidder

Spring hill, Florida Usa

Post Number: 1283
wat sub and amp do u have?
also what size wiring from batt-amp and ground amp?
also have u set gains properly? is there any bass boost?

Bronze Member

Louisville, Ky USA

Post Number: 73
10 kicker cvr and a hifonics 600.1 i not the cheap(lol)
2 guage from battery to trunk.
how do i check my gains????
and some bass boost i know its not good it clips them

Gold Member
Username: Safe_cracker

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 3185
If the ambient temperature is hot that will effect the running temperature. Simple terms, if it is hot out and your sh!t is sitting in your car baking, when you go and play it without letting it cool, it will overheat, capiche? Polo...:-)

Bronze Member

Louisville, Ky USA

Post Number: 74
how do i check to see if i have my gains set right

Bronze Member

Louisville, Ky USA

Post Number: 75
ok polo i understand that but what voltage should i be putting out on my amp shouldnt it be about 13.4 or is it more

Gold Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 3186
Don't worry about voltages, start your gain at 1/4 then work your way up never going past the 3/4 mark on your HU. You need to train your ears for this. It is easier to shut the comps off so that all is playing is your box, much easier to tell when it is distorting. Don't measure your amps output, varies to much. Polo..

Bronze Member

Louisville, Ky USA

Post Number: 76
ok i will have to do this and ea i will be easy to shut the comps of since i got them running to amp i will just unplug the rca cable going to that amp

Bronze Member

Louisville, Ky USA

Post Number: 77
also do i need to turn of any eq's or any of that on the HU

Gold Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 3187
Hey, make sure the sub is cool before you do it and always remember, even though you have your gain set it will be possible with other songs to cause distortion so keep your ears going while you play. One other thing even with correctly set gains it is possible to still overheat the sub because the outside temps. Polo..

Bronze Member

Louisville, Ky USA

Post Number: 78
ok i understand also you never told me when turning my subs do i need to trun anything off on the head unit like the eq settings and things like that or should i leave them on

Gold Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 3190
Ya, ditch the bass boost, if you need more bass after all is set then you need more or larger subs, lol. Turn your EQ to flat, I run my flat all the time for my sub. Set your subsonic to around 30hz and your LP filter to around 80hz. Put your gain on the safe side, 1/4 then slowly bring your volume up to 3/4 of its max level. If it still doesn't kick go to amp and turn gain up slowly until you notice the sound distort then back off a hair. Polo..

Bronze Member

Louisville, Ky USA

Post Number: 79
ok well the subs overheated while i was tuning them lol so i had to stop for tonight but there not flexing like before there where shaking everything including the back doors lol o well i guess i got to get this set right to do that lol

Gold Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 3193
What makes you think they are overheating? Polo..

Bronze Member

Louisville, Ky USA

Post Number: 80
well because i reached inside the port and felt the bottom half of the subs you know where the weight and the small whole is an it was warm not cold when i started out thats why

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

4 10 Pioneer...

Post Number: 11879
i would say ur gains was set too high

- btw ...good advice from Polo......

Bronze Member

Louisville, Ky USA

Post Number: 83
ok i will have to check that thank you

Gold Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 3194
They will get warm, they are electric motors, lol. When they start smelling real nasty, then worry about the heat...Polo. :-)

PS- My sub gets down right hot!

Bronze Member

Louisville, Ky USA

Post Number: 91
lol alright but now i am not getting any flex why

Gold Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 3196
What is the gain at? Did you turn the gain up until you started to notice some distortion, then back off slightly? Bass boost will boost a certain band of frequencies usually around 40-45hz depending on manufacture with a slope of around 12db/octave. This means that the peak frequency lets say 40hz is boosted the amount you have set sayyy 6db to be safe, the bass will be the loudest at that point. Now just because it is at 40hz doesn't mean neigboring frequencies aren't effected, they are. This is where the 12db/octave comes in. Now the frequencies higher and lower of the 4ohz set point will be effectively boosted as long as they fall in the 12db slope, meaning the louder you have your volume and the higher the wave crest is the more it will be effected. Honestly a 12db slope is pretty steep and with the bass boost on the music gets peaky and inaccurate. Bass bosst is a good show off tool but only if used wisely (6db) and a good ear for distortion. It is hard to hear distortion from your box if your comps are loud! Now listen up, do you have a bass control knob? If so then we need to first figure out if it is a remote gain also. Turn the HU down, turn the bass boost level on the amp to ZERO (0), now unplug the remote. Return the gain back to the 1/4 starting point, make sure all comps are off and start the sub adjusting point again. After you have adjusted the gain now plug the bass boost remote in. While playing your sub see if you are able to control the volume directly with the remote knob, if so it is a remote gain, all the way to the right will be the full gain setting you set on your amp, and if you had it plugged in all this time this would be the reason for it not being as loud as before. All else fails, the sub is too small for you. Polo.. :-)

Bronze Member

Louisville, Ky USA

Post Number: 92
lol ok well i will try all these before i go and try this other way of tuning it lol
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us