Replacing factory speakers, w. Alpine.

Bronze Member
Username: Bmage29

USA

Post Number: 46
Hey everyone, I am finally replacing my factory speakers with some type s from alpine. I have a 1994 Chrystler LHS sedan and have never really messed with my speakers before.

I have bought the SPS-13C2 5 1/4in. speakers for my front doors and am planning on getting a 6x9 3 way coaxial for my rear speakers.

My questions are as followed:

1) Will my car amplifier be able to power these new speakers or will an additional amp be needed. (If another is needed, how many watts?)

2) I saw a warning when I first opened the box, since I am planning on doing this myself I don't want many problems to occure... the warning is as followed
"Warning: This product contains a high performance tweeter. If there is a tweeter already installed in your car, then you must disconnect its terminals. If you leave the original tweeter connected and connect this product in parallel, then a fault may develop in this product, so you are strongly recommended not to do so."

From what I have heard, my car contains 3 tweeters in the dashboard, so do I have to disconnect the ones on my new speakers? And will I have to do so on my 6x9 coaxials??

Thanks for any help you can give, I am really tight on cash atm (college) so I don't want to replace any destroyed speakers. (Also the place I bought them from is going out of buisiness)

Silver Member
Username: Bigharv

Post Number: 144
1) Will my car amplifier be able to power these new speakers or will an additional amp be needed. (If another is needed, how many watts?)

Yes, it will be able to power them. No, it will not be able to power them fully. You will need an amplifier to bring these speakers to their full potential.

2) I saw a warning when I first opened the box, since I am planning on doing this myself I don't want many problems to occure... the warning is as followed
"Warning: This product contains a high performance tweeter. If there is a tweeter already installed in your car, then you must disconnect its terminals. If you leave the original tweeter connected and connect this product in parallel, then a fault may develop in this product, so you are strongly recommended not to do so."

you can take the tweeters out of your dashboard and just replace them with the new ones. Eitherway, make sure you have the new tweeters wired independently from other tweeters. if you amp the new tweeters, you can leave the factory ones plugged in just how they are.

Bronze Member
Username: Tblazer74

South Salem, NY USA

Post Number: 26
If you leave the tweeters in and with no direct power going towards them, they will become passive radiators or unpowered speakers. The sound waves will make them resonate, probably improving the soundstaging in your car. If you've got the type s's in the front, get some type s's for the back or similar ones, and get a 4 channel amp around 50 wrms, and enjoy.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us