great condition and should last me a long time so I figure I need
something to listen to. I am looking to spend around ~$1500 total for
the whole system. I plan on buying new speakers, new head unit, amping
the main speakers, and of course getting some kickin subs. I have a
buddy that works at Best Buy so I can get the employee discount and he
can order parts on their website so I'm trying to get something he can
get cheap(er). But that doesn't mean I wont ebay them if that means
getting a better deal.

I am looking into component speakers, as there is a 6 speaker model version of my car with speakers in the doors. I was thinking about putting the largest speakers in the door I could fit (6X9s?) and mounting the tweeters on the dash. Not sure what I'm doing with the rear, but these speakers will be amped.

Anyone have experience with component speakers that will sound better for mid-range rich music such as rock/heavy metal? My friend told me Infinitis tend to have a tinny sound that isn't good for me. I also am wondering about the amp, Will a 100 watt RMS amp have any more clarity at high volumes than a 50 watt RMS amp? Any better than others?

And I'm looking for someone in my area to do the installation. If anyone lives North of Chicago (I live by 6 flags, in Gurnee), please email me. I am willing to drive to you, and pay well if you are willing to teach me a few things.

Thanks,
jasonslott@gmail.com

Bronze Member
Username: Tblazer74

South Salem, NY USA

Post Number: 28
I can't believe no one has jumped on this post. Get some nice components for the front and amp them with a 2 channel or a 4 bridged to 2. Don't worry about the rears, get a Pioneer HU and run the stocks or some cheap speakers in the back just for the rearfill/soundstaging. I like my polk db6500's for components, but you might be able to afford to go higher. If you don't by name brand stuff, you can get some great deals on great products, just ask around the site. I've heard great things about mach5 audio maws for subs, and I would get a rockford fosgate amp or a phoenix gold one. Check various sites and e-bay to maximize your value. And as to whether a 100 wrms amp will have better clarity, it has to do more with the company than the wattage. Hope that's a good start.

Silver Member
Username: Warlok

Orlando, FL USA

Post Number: 364
^ I 2nd that. But with that kinda of money, Id dont think I woudl shop at BB, you can get some really nice stuff online. Specially with some nice comps up front, and cheapies for rear fill. .. . . you could get a really nice set up front. And for highend, wattage does not have to be terribly high. Most do 80 - 150, but will sound great in the range of 100 rms. You could always bridge if more power is needed, so 100 would be more than fine. Just get a decent amp if you decide to go lower. And look into CDT, DLS, Diamond. And Kappas are nice, but they do sound very natural and smooth. Usually not enought kick for people that like saturated sound. But not to sell them short, they sound great, accurate, and well balanced. But they do have a rather harsh tweet. Look into a comp set thta has a silk Tweet. Diamond Hex are some nice comps, def in a good price range too. A guy here, deals with CDT, seems to be fair and well respected around here, he will cut you a really fair deal.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us