.5 farad cap with 2000 watts

Username: Mark872

Post Number: 9
ive heard alot of people talk down on capacitors so i thought id ask. I have two 1000 watt alpine amps goin to a single .5 farad capacitor...i know that cap is waaaay to small for the amps but ive had way before i got these amps and people thought it looked cool so i kept it on, and didnt think it would hurt to leave it hooked up...would it sound better if i just took it off.

Gold Member
Username: Loudon

Post Number: 1442
sound is subjective ... take it off and u tell us ... no one can tell if you if its gonna sound better mark .. you have to figure it out for urself

Gold Member
Username: Trey4sports

Post Number: 1512
the whole function behind a cap is worthless.

your MUCH better off getting a decent car audio batt in its place. most car-audio batts have ESR's similar to a cap and have a much larger charge capacity

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
i know im gettin enought power from my batt...i have an oltima yellow top...i was j/w if the cap could be stoppin my amps from gettin all the power they need since its so small

Gold Member
Username: Naledge503

Http://com4.runboard.c...

Post Number: 1411

quote:

i know im gettin enought power from my batt...i have an oltima yellow top...i was j/w if the cap could be stoppin my amps from gettin all the power they need since its so small

I guarantee you that you are NOT getting enough power from your battery.

For you to be able to reach 2000 watts, you would need at least 160 amps of current into 12.5 volts, at 100% efficiency. Unless you have at least a 200A alternator, there is no way possible to reach 2000 watts. even then you might need an extra battery. I say 200A alt. because, you still need to power your stock electrical i.e., headlights etc.

Read these sites they will help you greatly.

bcae1.com

the12volt.com

Here is an ohms law calculator just for reference.

http://www.the12volt.com/ohm/page2.asp

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
i know i need a new alt. That will be my next thing to get. He just stated that i need to upgrade my bat. I was just saying that as far as batteries go, i have good power battery wise. but i will check out those sites...thx
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us