System still cuts out what now

Silver Member
Username: Cplaya280

Quakertown, PA USA

Post Number: 591
idk what to check anymore my system sumtimes works fine but not loud at all cuz its 2 12" kicker l7's in a 48hz tuned box i had a 35hz box before and it was so much more bass but that box broke. but anyways i hooked up a capacaitor to it to try to help sum dimming but it doesnt do notting except capacitor has a nice blue color but some songs sound horrible and then just cut out sounds like theres like no power but then other songs sound pretty good. I know its not the wiring cuz i rechecked that a cpl times and i redid the ground a cpl times to and the sub cuts out constantly but then comes right back on for like 5 seconds then cuts out again this only happens i guess on heavier songs. and the amp does not shut off the green light stays on while the subs keep cutting out like idk if one of my subs is blown and making it act funny or what because they dont sound blown. my friend has the same exact car as me but his is 1000 watts and mine is 1500, and his is exremely loud and nice sounding

Gold Member
Username: Loudon

Post Number: 1439
clipping ftw

capacitor ftl

Bronze Member
Username: Djb0501

Post Number: 13
What amps are you running?

Silver Member

Quakertown, PA USA

Post Number: 593
im running kicker zx1500.1 into 2 12" l7's. what do u mean by clipping FTW AND capacitor FTL not good wit the abbreviations

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
"what do u mean by clipping FTW AND capacitor FTL not good wit the abbreviations"

clipping is basically when you push an amp harder than its meant to be pushed

Bronze Member
Username: Chuck78

Post Number: 86
your box is tuned too high and I'm sure it's poorly constructed.

you're clipping your amp and subs since I doubt you have the charging system to support 1500w+ and you don't have your gain set right.

don't use a cap

Silver Member

Quakertown, PA USA

Post Number: 594
how am i doing that tho the gain isnt even in the middle. does the capacitor cause the amp to push harder?? what does ftw and ftl mean

Silver Member

Quakertown, PA USA

Post Number: 596
it happend a cpl times when i wasnt using the capacitor either my amp kit is power acoustics 2 gauge and my speaker wire is 14 guage is that all good

Silver Member

Quakertown, PA USA

Post Number: 597
so if a box is tuned to high for those subs can that also cause the subs to cut out once in a while cuz it cant handle half the notes. and no i dont have a charging system i have a 85A in my stock alternator i had the exact system in my impala which is 100A and was using a 35hz box and i neva had any problems in that car?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
"48hz tuned box i had a 35hz box before and it was so much more bass but that box broke."

Looks to me that, like Charlie is saying, you've got your box tuned too high and its just not well built. If your subs were hitting harder at 35hz, i'd try building a new box and tune it to around 35 hz again. Maybe consider having your box built and tuned by a professional to make sure you get it just right.

Silver Member

Quakertown, PA USA

Post Number: 599
so if a box is tuned to high for those subs can that also cause the subs to cut out once in a while cuz it cant handle half the notes. and no i dont have a charging system i have a 85A in my galant stock alternator i had the exact system in my impala which is 100A and was using a 35hz box and i neva had any problems in that car?

Gold Member
Username: Wingmanalive

A pic is worth 1000 posts!!

Post Number: 8781
FTW

For The Win

FTL

For The Loss.

Gold Member

Post Number: 8782
Your problem is almost certainly your charging system and most ppl go the cap route to fix it. You said it yourself your friend was pushing 1000w and you 1500w. 1000w is about all you're gonna get out of stock equipment. Do the big 3, new alt and maybe a new batt.....

Gold Member
Username: Trey4sports

Post Number: 1510
doesnt matter if ur gain is only half way up it all depends on ur HU pre-out voltage.

if you have a high pre-out voltage even a 1/4 of the way up could clip the fawk out of your subs

Gold Member

Post Number: 8784
You can clip any sub with 5 watts. It's in the signal, not power.

Silver Member
Username: Wojopro

Summerville, SC

Post Number: 254
Yup high output Alt, New batt, New wires.

Since your charging system is obviously already overworked the cap is actually hurting your performance right now. Lose the cap til you upgraded the big three.

Silver Member

Quakertown, PA USA

Post Number: 601
yea i just took the cap off and it already plays better and my head unit is the deh-7800 which is 5v preouts. yeah like every light in my whole car dims like crazy thats how it was in my impala but i neva had a problem with it shutting off i now have a galant which the alternator is 85A and the impala had 100A so in order for my stuff to stuff dimming and shutting off once ni a while i either have to get a new alternator or maybe get a 1000 watt setup cuz i have 1500 watts now??

Gold Member

Post Number: 8785
I say prepare for your next setup (whenever that may be) and upgrade your alt/batt/wiring now. Your alt might be/is on its' way out anyway.

Silver Member
Username: Wojopro

Summerville, SC

Post Number: 256
Get new battery cables... They could be partially corroded and dropping alot of your voltage there. That would be my first step. Next get a yellow top or similar. Than last the ho alt.

Gold Member
Username: Trey4sports

Post Number: 1514
chris, i know you were tlaking about your alty being as big as they come for your vehicle.

85 amp alty is very small, if ur running 1500 REAL watts then your prolly straining the hell out of your charging system. upgrade and get adleast a 200 amp alty

checkout ohio genrator or iraggi alternator for the alty

Silver Member

Quakertown, PA USA

Post Number: 604
yea i wonder why i lucked out in my impala tho with the same setup it was 100 amp alty tho. also tuning of the box can that affect the performance of the subs like now my box is 48hz which sounds liek crap to me for 2 12" l7's if i get like a 32hz box or 36hz box would it actully make it sound better and maybe i wont have to try to work the subs as hard

Gold Member
Username: Skibum12189

Cleveland

Post Number: 1118
for the record....

the pioneer 7800 only has like 2 v preouts, the pioneer premier 780 has "5 volts"

85 is just too small but you dont need a huge one....i was running a zx1500 and a zx350.4 on a stock batt, stock alt, no big three, never clipped the subs (i did however set the gain safely and correctly), the voltage never dropped below 12.5 even on jeezy hypnotize at volume 45 (highest i ever really turned it) and the amps stayed cool like all the time....

idk if helps at all but i figured id kick in a little info....

i used to have a hifonics 1206, lights dimmed, amp got hot, went into protection alot.....

HAHA so i upgraded power (also amps efficiencies were upgrade when i got new amps) and i was perfectly fine...

Bronze Member
Username: Chuck78

Post Number: 87
like i said, you don't have the charging system to support your amps....

upgrade your alt, set your gain properly, stop damaging car audio equipment, and enjoy

Silver Member

Quakertown, PA USA

Post Number: 605
i did use to have the deh 780 i now have the deh-7800 i know the 780 had 5V preouts and i guess the 7800 has 2V could this be a problem to? do i need to go back with the 5V preouts?

Gold Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 5895
if you were close enuff to drive to us we would take a look but your like 2 hrs away

Username: Spmixitup

Clarkston, MI United States

Post Number: 7
i had the same problem, are your subs dvc 2 ohm?

Silver Member

Quakertown, PA USA

Post Number: 606
yes they are and they are wired at 2ohms i either had a choice of 2ohms or 8 ohms

Gold Member
Username: Extrmndor3

Post Number: 6388
try do the big 3 and try to run a separate line form the battery - to the amp -, upgrade your alternator wiring dont remove juzz add it to it.... the capacitor has to be as close tot he amp as possible around 2-1 inchesgoing more it will make or it will act like your not have a capacitor at all.

check the capacitor if is blonw or is spilled if it doesnt have any problems u migth have to recheck it because with your system or yoru charging system a cap well will nto be a HUGE upgrade but will be better than nothing...

also you would try to re ground your head unit your headunit migth be shutting off since because of the voltage drops regular car wiring harness have 18 gauge and it will nto carry the 10 amps needed for the head unit try get a nice 8 gauge wiring kit and put it your receiver 12 volts wire and try grounding the headunit or you could do a run of - str8t to the batterie from the - of the head unit.

Gold Member
Username: Jblanford

Post Number: 2057
"for the record....

the pioneer 7800 only has like 2 v preouts, the pioneer premier 780 has '5 volts'"

wrong, it's the same headunit

2076_310069880_291147601%2C00.html,http://pioneerelectronics.com/pna/v3/pg/produ ct/details/0,,2076_310069880_291147601,00.html
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us