Newbie trying to put together first system...help!

Username: Colonelcack

Post Number: 1
Hi,

I'm putting together my first system and am somewhat clueless when it comes to a couple things. I own an older vehicle; a 1986 LTD Crown Victoria (2 door, 4 speakers, stock am/fm ANALOG! radio) but it is in great condition and should last me a long time so I figure I need something to listen to. I am looking to spend around ~$1500 total for the whole system. I plan on buying new speakers, new head unit, amping the main speakers, and of course getting some kickin subs. I have a buddy that works at Best Buy so I can get the employee discount and he can order parts on their website so I'm trying to get something he can get cheap(er). But that doesn't mean I wont ebay them if that means getting a better deal.

Anyways, back ontopic - I am trying to decide on exactly what kind of subs and how many to get with what kind of box/amp. I listen to strictly heavy metal with a lot of FAST double bass. I want a system that will be able to keep up with my music while sounding crisp, clean, and most importantly I want subs to make me feel like I just got socked in the stomach everytime they hit without sounding muddy or the bass beats drowning together to form a "boooooooooom" sound.

A lot of people keep telling me that I'm better off with 10" woofers than 12" for the sound I'm looking for, is this true? Any input greatly appreciated!

Post Number: 2
Edit: In case anyone was wondering, size isn't an issue as my trunk is gigantic. Just want some subs that will be able to give me LOUD, TIGHT sounding bass in such a large sedan. I may be willing to spend a little more if it's worth it.

Gold Member
Username: Extrmndor3

Post Number: 6378
get a hifonics bxi2006d from ebay

ficaraudio.com go there and get a 15 inch or what ever size u want Bl woofer dual 2 ohm so u can wire it at 1 ohm

build a nice box for it dont go prefabricated box..

go to knukonceptz.com and order a 0 gauge wiring kit

u will need to upgrade yoru alternator but u could add a second batterie like a yellow top next to the amp and a red top under the hood.

go to second skin and buy as much sound dampening product as u can get.

i you want to spend less money..

you can tell your friend to buy for you 2 alpine type r's 15s and get from ebay a hifonics bxi2006d

and buy the wiring i told you and as much soudn dampening as you can.

Post Number: 3
I'm pretty sure I have a brand new alternator and its the highest rated one my vehicle can use...you think I'll still need a second battery if I had this and capacitors?

Username: Mark872

Post Number: 8
Yes 10's would be better for that type of music, they wont carry out on long bass notes, which are mostly from rap, but have tighter punchier bass than 12's do. And put them in a sealed box, that also gives them a tighter, harder hit. And if ur gettin them from best buy i would say 2 type r 10's would be the best from there...not sure what amps they have up there but get somthin that puts out about 1000 watts rms for those...this setup wont make you feel like you just got hit in the stomach like you want lol..but that should put you right around $1500 and will sound dam good

Gold Member
Username: Jkidder

Spring hill, Florida Usa

Post Number: 1203
do you think u can install all this yourself? and make box and install component speakers? or do u need to buy a box have some1 else install it and go with coaxials?

Post Number: 4
I'm not very technical when it comes to car stereo components or installation so I'm probably going to have Best Buy install it for me. But I have a friend who builds subwoofers...he could make me a box if I paid him, but he doesn't trust himself to do the install.

Gold Member
Username: Nyyfan13

Fi SSD USA

Post Number: 5627
dont take it to bb to do the install

Post Number: 5
So I've heard, Best Buy isn't the best at installing equiptment. Tweeter closed down here...so they can't do it, the only other option is this small time guy that has his own shop, but he quoted the whole system install (speakers, head unit, wiring, amps) at around $400, is this on-par with other places?

Gold Member
Username: Nyyfan13

Fi SSD USA

Post Number: 5630
i would see if someone on here lives close enough to you to do the install....then you would know it would be done right, it would be cheaper, and yuo would learn a thing or two....

Silver Member
Username: Spivey17323

Dunellen, New jersey United states

Post Number: 252
thats kinda alot

Post Number: 6
Yeah it sounded pricey to me too. Well...um, anyone live around Gurnee Illinois...aka 6 flags? I'd be willing to drive to your location if it was somewhat close. So what would a fair price be then?

Post Number: 7
By the way...anyone ever have any experience with these BL subwoofers that ZpeedyrosaleZ A.K.A Mr.KingRobi½ suggested? They look very nice, pricey...but very nice, if they perform as well as they look...they're tempting me!

Gold Member
Username: 04redmach1

Columbus, GA USA

Post Number: 1119
The BL woofer is more of a SPL sub from what I was told, so no, it will not fit your needs. You will want a SQ woofer that will handle the double bass and seperate it not a boomy bass. Do you plan on upgrading your electrical any? If not, I suggest a nice 1000 rms setup for the subs. You could run the same setup I do. They keep up with the double bass pretty good when I listen to slipknot :-) Take a look at the RD Audio Classic's. 2 12's in a ported box tuned to 35 hz would go nice. You can even step up to the 15's since yur rear seat doesn't let down to give you lil more umph. If you would like, shoot me an email. I have a video on my subs as well.

Kevin
lowhz01@yahoo.com

Bronze Member
Username: Chuck78

Post Number: 85
send Kevin an email, he'll give you some nice deals on some very good equipment..

look at www.fishercustoms.com for a box

you don't need to upgrade your charging system if you keep it under ~1000w.

And I'm sure someone lives close enough to you to help you out with the install.

Gold Member
Username: Extrmndor3

Post Number: 6379
the Bl is a nice spl sub that sounds nice the diference between the bl and the q is very tricky in real life the bl gets louder than the q and sounds good doing it :-)

Post Number: 8
Can anyone else vouch for RD Audio? I can't seem to find any reviews anywhere.

Post Number: 10
Anyone?

Silver Member
Username: Bigharv

Post Number: 138
RD makes some quality woofers, several people own RD equipment and are very pleased with it.

Gold Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

Post Number:...

Post Number: 3914
Sigh...KingRob and I live about an hour from Gurnee.We're from chicago.I'm about 10 mins off of 294(95th St exit) but I'm not exactly sure I want to do an install lol.KingRob says he does installs every day as a job so...try him.There's a lot of shops out there but they'll charge you an arm and a leg.Like I said I could do the install but I'm not sure I want to...I really don't like working on other people's things in case they mess it up so I don't get blamed.

Gold Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

Post Number:...

Post Number: 3915
You could also make a run up to Beloit Wisconsin to get your install done.The owner goes by the name of Zac Davis.He'll hook you up and won't rip you off either.

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&um=1&q=tinker+toys&near=Beloit,+WI&fb=1&view=t ext&latlng=42505267,-89038616,2394843149289887194

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
Awesome! I'll try to get ahold of them. Thanks Rob!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us