Wtf? obviously wiring n00b

Bronze Member
Username: Janitor

Post Number: 46
k so i just got home from a week vacation and my zx1500.1 is sitting at home waiting on me... so i wired it up using a wiring kit by audiopipe, but when i turn it on (even at 0 volume) it puts out a constant rumble sound. it won't play any music at all... what did i do wrong and how do i fix it? i have to leave again for a week on monday and would like to have a good solid day of bumping, so quickness is very much appreciated =D thnx

Username: B3n07

Post Number: 7
ok i would try this check the ground me and a buddy had the same problem also make sure the subs are wired right

Silver Member
Username: Philly306

North carolina

Post Number: 168
maybe your ear is broken?

Louisville, Ky USA

Post Number: 8
lol

Bronze Member

Post Number: 47
ok it was the ground...now i have a new problem...
When i turn it up past 18 it quits! it comes back on when i turn it down.. :-( i drew a crude drawing of my wiring setup

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v172/dontsaymyname/crudedrawing.jpg

I have done the big 3 and have a 160 amp alternator installed. so I shouldn't be running out of power. Plus my lights arent' even dimming... >.< I im using a 4 ga power cable to the back and a 3 way splitter w/ an 80amp fuse for the sub amp and a 60 amp fuse for the speaker amp. it works fine and doesn't shut off...just the sub amp.

Silver Member
Username: Mrskullz1

Brooklyn, New York

Post Number: 706
^ what ben said

and also check your rca's. Also where are you rca wires running from?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 48
from the preamp outputs in my headunit. one came w/ the wiring kit i bought and it had a built in split, i have one goin from my front channel and the one from the rear channel goes to both amps. they run on the opposite side of the car as the power wire so as to not have engine noise

Silver Member
Username: Mrskullz1

Brooklyn, New York

Post Number: 707
ok...does ur amp go into protection mode when you turn up volume past 18?

Louisville, Ky USA

Post Number: 9
ok obiviously you subs are over powering the amp if you contuine to run them that way you amp will be fried trust me i have seen it and you dont want that smell in your car cuz its hard to get rid of

Bronze Member

Post Number: 49
well how do i fix it?

Gold Member
Username: Matt12490

California USA

Post Number: 2582
Ben- subs do not overpower amps and won't blow an amp, amps CAN overpower subs and blow them.

Anyways Thomas I'm taking a guess that 18 is pretty high on the headunit... What is the max volume number?

Possible problems to look into:
-Your power wire or ground wire might not be fully tightened. (I once had this problem and the power wire was falling out of the fuse holder)
-160 amp alternator is not enough to run 1750 watts from the kicker, more from your speaker amp, and even more for your car accessories.
-4 gauge wiring kit is too small.

Gold Member
Username: Adam_s

Post Number: 1743
x2 on the 4 gauge kit being too small. You cant draw the power you need through that wire that is why the amp keeps shutting off most likely.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 50
the max volume on my headunit is 34. I have the gain set almost all the way down. I know its not a big enough alternator...i figured that out after i ordered it so im planning on getting a biggerone asap. I thought that 4 ga was to small too, but the kit said it would run 5000 watts...so i assumed it came w/ 1/0 or so wire... guess thats what i get for not paying attention tho >.<

I'll work on the wires and connections and see if i can't get anything to work... keep the suggestions commin

Bronze Member

Post Number: 51
is it possible i don't have the impeadence wired right? if so how SHOULD it bee?

Silver Member
Username: Kpa2727

Post Number: 358
to be perfectly honest, yes ! u could be sending a iincorrect ohm load and overloading things, list the voice coil, the rms and at what ohm. since ur strikein out on the alt and guage wire u might wanna list how the subs wired so we can rule out all factors.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 53
Specs on sub:

DUAL 1
Fs: 35.1 Hz
Re: 0.75 Ohms/coil
Qms: 6.23
Qes: .47
Qts: .44
Mms: 232g
Cms: 0.089mm/N
Sd: 810cm^2
Vas: 81.6 l
Spl: 90.6dB 1W/1m
Bl: 12.8 N/A
Xmax: 21mm
Rms: 1000W *
Sealed box: N/A cuft
Ported box: 2.8-4 cuft @ 30-37Hz
Sub OD: 15.625"
Cut ID: 14.125"
Mounting depth: 8.250"
Displacement: 0.18cuft

I have it wired just like i drew in this picture

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v172/dontsaymyname/?action=view&current=sub.jp g

Gold Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

Post Number:...

Post Number: 3876
"Ben- subs do not overpower amps and won't blow an amp, amps CAN overpower subs and blow them."

Partially wrong.When you run your amp at an ohm load lower than stable it can heat up and blow up.

Bronze Member

Louisville, Ky USA

Post Number: 22
lol i thought so cuz i have done it before

Gold Member
Username: Matt12490

California USA

Post Number: 2591
Oh of course Rob, just meant if you wired everything correctly.

Silver Member
Username: Wojopro

Summerville, SC

Post Number: 257
What are the ratings on the preamp of your h/u

Username: Mark872

Post Number: 10
do u have two subs or just one?

Gold Member
Username: Bernymac

BME

Post Number: 3164
you have that amp wired at .5ohms lmao. Wire it in series man. If you have a dual 1ohm sub. Wiring it in parallel will give the amp a .5ohm load. Wiring it in series will give you a 2ohm load. (WHICH IS WHAT YOU WANT)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us