Amp keeps cutting out

Username: Spmixitup

Clarkston, MI United States

Post Number: 1
i have two kicker cvr 10's and a kicker 400.1 amp, and ever since ive had it the amp would always cut out when i would turn my subs up loud. I took it into circuit city and they said that my amp was bad, but when i sent it back to kicker they said that the power station had no problems. Then i got a capacitor and this seemed to fix the problem. But now when i play my subs the loudest they can go and turn my amp all the way up it plays fine for about 20 minutes and then it cuts out and my amp gets hot enough to burn yourself on it. I know it overheats and im wondering if thats an internal problem or if all amps overheat when you turn them up all the way. Also when im driving my amp cuts out way faster than when my car is idling.

Gold Member
Username: Juliob

Santo DomingoDominican Re...

Post Number: 4810
1- Check your gain. Because you're underpowering your subs and maybe you think that cranking the gain all the way up is goingto give you more power it is not.

2- Get rid of that capacitor.

3- Tell us the voice coil configuration of your subs, are they DVC 4 ohm or 2ohm???

Username: Caseyh

Welton, Iowa

Post Number: 6
What guage power wire are you using?

Post Number: 2
4 gauge kit, dual 4 ohm, and with the volt meter my battery was only giving it 8.5 now with the cap its getting 10-12

Post Number: 3
my subs are both 2 ohm but i have them wired in series to make it dual 4

Gold Member
Username: Van_man

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 2676
"and with the volt meter my battery was only giving it 8.5 now with the cap its getting 10-12"

Dude, you need more power, have your alternater checked out. You should have 12-14 volts at idle system off, and never below 12.5 even with system turned up. And gain needs to be set right. Basically, your system is shutting off due to insuffeciant power. And also, make sure your battery is good, and the amps ground. Did you do the big 3? nvr mind bout that. forget I said that. And the cap is also helping, Helping to kill your alternater..

Post Number: 5
alright so check the alternater, and uhh, where is the gain set, if the boost is at 12 and the frequency all the way up?

Gold Member
Username: Van_man

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 2678
heres the manual. read the part about gins and boost and stuff.

http://www.kicker.com/06/tech-support/manuals/manuals/2006/2006%20ZX400%20750-1% 20b01%20WEB.pdf

Then look here to see what the heck it alls means.

http://www.bcae1.com/

Silver Member
Username: Kpa2727

Post Number: 351
set the gain with 50 hz test tone, from realm of excursion, turn boost completly off and go party.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us