Username: Logan__tille

Team Revolution

Post Number: 8590
Classics hands down.

Gold Member
Username: Johnfiac

A-ToWn, 9515 thumpin... What u bumpin?

Post Number: 3375
the sub has nothing to do with the rms at the given voltage thats all on the amp. But 2 12's on more power.... classics hands down.

Gold Member
Username: Jblanford

Post Number: 1982
run a D2 Q and wire it at 1 ohm...loud setup and will still sound great.

P.S. my friend has a 15" on a nine.1 and he does a 143 on the TL sealed up @ 42 hz

Gold Member

Post Number: 1983
btw the Q takes 1200rms very well...it never got hot once when we were testing with it :-)

Silver Member
Username: Skibum12189

Cleveland

Post Number: 988
you mean the sub never got hot right? because i called and they said i could see probably 1300-1350 rms at 1 ohm and idk if i wanna get a 12" Q that much power, seems like too much

I think I'm gonna go classics, i like 2 sub setups too much to go one sub

Gold Member
Username: Trey4sports

Post Number: 1485
classics will be louder due to cone area. if you got the new BP power option on the Q you would be just fine runnning 1.3K

Gold Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

Post Number:...

Post Number: 3791
Why are you talking about only 12.5 volts?Running with the engine off and stock batteries?

Silver Member
Username: Bigharv

Post Number: 111
i think hes specifying he has stock electrical with no intention on upgrading it.

Bronze Member
Username: Devildriver

Post Number: 40
"Why are you talking about only 12.5 volts"
Probably because he is using the power output specifications given by the manufacturer, which happen to be at 12.5V.

As for the question at hand, the Q is less expensive and, despite the advantage the 2 12" Classics would have in effective piston area, is still capable of displacing more swept volume, which is critical for output in a sealed enclosure. To me, the Q is a winner: no-brainer here.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1990
"classics will be louder due to cone area. if you got the new BP power option on the Q you would be just fine runnning 1.3K"

wrong...I highly doubt the classics will be louder and the q will be perfectly fine on 1300rms without the BP

btw cal...if you can fit 2 12's you can fit 1 15" go with 1 15" q d2 you won't be dissapointed

Gold Member

Post Number: 1486
no way one 12" Q would outdo two 12" classics. kents review showed the classics like sealed and even putup decent numbers for an SQ sub.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 42
"no way one 12" Q would outdo two 12" classics."

Like I said, the Q is still capable of more linear displacement and will almost certainly be louder in a sealed enclosure. If it were a ported enclosure, it would probably be a different story, but it's not.

Gold Member
Username: Andrew571

Stillwater/Edmond, Oklahoma USA

Post Number: 1036
ummmm.... i run almost 1528 watts to my Q (no BP)

doesnt even breaka sweat

Gold Member

Post Number: 1487
just for reference does anyone have the xmax on the classics? because if we did then we could pretty much have an absolute answer to his question.

yeah andrizzle i remember reading your setup a while back but install dependant is the key here. the subs are rated at 1K so im sure there are scenarios out there where 13,14,1500 watts would blow a Q. even though they are underrated and great subs for the money no doubt

Gold Member

Post Number: 1488
just for reference does anyone have the xmax on the classics? because if we did then we could pretty much have an absolute answer to his question.

yeah andrizzle i remember reading your setup a while back but install dependant is the key here. the subs are rated at 1K so im sure there are scenarios out there where 13,14,1500 watts would blow a Q. even though they are underrated and great subs for the money no doubt

Silver Member

Cleveland

Post Number: 990
i gave the specs at 12.5 bc thats what they are on ED's site. I called and the ED techs told me that I'd see about 1300-1400 at 1 ohm at 14.4. Unfortunately, my car maxes out at about 13.9 and drops as low as 12.9 when I'm bumpin really loudly, I just split the difference and figured i'd get about 1300 at 13.5 volts, which is about my average.

For some reason (i don't know why) but im....size-ist againts 15s. I shouldn't be because I've never owned or heard one, but I'd rather go 2 12s or trip 10s than one 15 for some reason, ahah again idk why, but that's how it is.

damn 1528 to the Q no BP, that's a lot of power andrizzle. I would think the Q w/o it could easily handle 1200, so i guess setting the gains safely and correctly, i should be able to give one 1300 rms cleanly, but i think I'm just gonna go with Classics unless I hear AA is going to be reincarnating the atlas

Bronze Member

Post Number: 43
"just for reference does anyone have the xmax on the classics? because if we did then we could pretty much have an absolute answer to his question. "

Yes, they're widely available. It's just over 8mm, which is why I said the Q can easily outdisplace the two 12" Classics.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1039
im workin on getting some videos uploaded, im finally off work tomorow so ill see what i can do

im going to start a build for an 18 soon too, im quitting work on the 28th, so ill have some time before school starts up again

Gold Member

Post Number: 1040
oh and i run 1528 watts - t10001bd

Gold Member
Username: 04redmach1

Columbus, GA USA

Post Number: 1100
The Classic has a 13mm x-max, which is one way, and an excursion of up to 2 1/2 inches.

Kevin

Platinum Member
Username: Chaunb3400

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 12593
Bro did 140.6 sealed off a nine.1 with a q...and it sounded really good daily...never heard a classic so i cant vouch for it....

Bronze Member

Post Number: 44
"The Classic has a 13mm x-max, which is one way, and an excursion of up to 2 1/2 inches.

Kevin"

Those are not the parameters listed on the acoustic-visions website; I take it another line has undergone revision already and no one actually knows what's happening with it?

Saying it has 2 1/2" of excursion is a poor way of making up for 13mm of Xmax.

And the Q still has the advantage in displacement.

Gold Member

Columbus, GA USA

Post Number: 1104
hXc, do you know what x-max is? You do know that x-max alone does not make the sub correct? Same line, no new line as of yet.

Kevin

Bronze Member

Post Number: 46
Yes, Kevin, I know exactly what Xmax is.

As mentioned earlier in this thread, the cone advantage of the Classic's is negligible when compared with the Xmax of the Q.

And I am not the only one who thinks that "excursion" beyond Xmax is not particularly valuable.

I would most certainly use the Q in this application.

Username: Team_havoc_audio

Jamestown, SC US

Post Number: 8
Kevin did a very good score using 2 12 inch classics ported @ 35hz in a 4 cube enclosure with 48sq inch slot port off of a 1000.1.

http://s75.photobucket.com/albums/i303/Team_Havoc/RD%20audio/?action=view&curren t=classics.flv

Here is a video, the vid didnt pick up the flex super well because the camera was set to 15fps and low res. I personally have 8 12 inch classics off of a single 1750.1 to show efficency. I have a video now but i changed my resolution to 640x480 and the FPS rate to 30 and ended up bringing me just over the file size for photobucket pro and youtube, i will be taking another video tommaro and posting.

As far as 2 12 inch classics vs a single 12 inch Q, then my vote is for the 2 12 inch classics, with that much cone area over the single 12 inch the classics would win in almost every case that comes to mind.

As far as heads up, i think someone needs to do one, the drivers arent really in the same price range, a more fair heads up comparison would be a sonance to a Q. People need to remember that Xmax isnt everything. Everything has advantages and downfalls, right now there is a guy with a daily setup doing a 139 at the dash with 2 12 inch classics off 300 RMS each, thats fairly efficent, alot of factors need to be taken into considerations but 2 12 inch classics to 1 12 inch Q, id take the classics hands down.

Silver Member

Cleveland

Post Number: 999
Thanks for all the input guys....

To be honest with ya, numbers don't really matter to me, i probably won't ever meter my system not to mention it'll be sealed anyways.

I'm going for which will sound cleaner all around.

Do you guys think the Classics are worth the extra dough?

(ahah Kevin and Ben i am really interested in what you guys have to say in response to my last question)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 47
"As far as 2 12 inch classics vs a single 12 inch Q, then my vote is for the 2 12 inch classics, with that much cone area over the single 12 inch the classics would win in almost every case that comes to mind. "

Dude, I'm not sure what you're not following, but cone area is not the only factor in output. In a sealed enclosure, the combination with the most linear displacement (which considers both Xmax and effective piston area) is going to have the most potential output. In a ported enclosure, it's different (the one with the most cone area and linear motor strength will have the most potential). For this reason, the Q is the better performer in the sealed enclosure.

You're obviously a big RD Audio fan, and that's fine. But you have to look at the application to determine what is valid and what is not, and quite frankly, saying cone area is what will make the 2 Classics better after I have repeatedly explained the factors considered in a sealed enclosure is just ignorant.

Silver Member
Username: Showrides

Hartford, CT USA

Post Number: 966
I would have to agree with hXcAudio on this one. If you go sealed, the Q will have an advantage in output due to having the larger Xmax.

Ported is a completely different story, but if we are just talking sealed enclosures, more than likely the single Q would be louder.

On the other hand, from what knowledgeable car audio people have been telling me, the sound quality of the classics should have the advantage in sq over the q. I have not tested both drivers personally, so I can't say for sure which sounds better. I just have been hearing great things about the SQ on the classics drivers.

Either way you are going to get a loud, good sounding substage if you pick the classics or the single q. If sound quality is the most important thing, I would most likely pick the classics, if you are just trying to figure out which of the 2 setups will be louder, then I would most likely pick the Q. Also, I would decide based on if I liked the way a single sub setup looked, compared to the way a dual subwoofer setup looked. That's just how I would decide.

Ben

Gold Member

Columbus, GA USA

Post Number: 1105
Well, just so happens, I have a sealed enclosure. It is a BS prefab at 1.25 per side, little larger than what the classic needs, but if I have time a may be a swap just to see what they will do. I am getting mine metered again today as well.

Kevin
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us