Having some trouble

Silver Member
Username: Cplaya280

Quakertown, PA USA

Post Number: 548
ok i just hooked up my 2 12" kicker l7's to the zx1500.1 mono amp but the amp was refurbished ok. well i had these subs before in my other car so i put them in and i noticed that they were not loud like they were suppose to be and they sounded really muddy sounding, i nkow for a fact it wired correctly down to 2ohm load cuz i have the chart and plus the amp would go into protection mode but anyways i was playing it and i started smelling a burning smell i played by system for like 7 minutes and the amp was as hot as like a stove so i kept trying to play it and the amp kept cutting out cuz it was so hot. then finally the 150A fuse snapped under teh hood soo does anybody have any idea what went wrong here. i know teh wires are coorect and everything my only guess is maybe the refurbished amp wasn't fixed correctly.

Silver Member

Quakertown, PA USA

Post Number: 549
anybody help my subs neva sounded like this and it seems like its not getting the full power and i smelled electric fire smell and the amp got hot as hell within a few mintues of playing and then the 150A fuse burned up and snapped and even the power wire goin into the fuse was really really hot.

Silver Member

Quakertown, PA USA

Post Number: 550
bump

Gold Member
Username: Van_man

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 2663
Redo /check ground. You have at least 4awg power ground? 0 is better. Also, what vc are the l7s?
Ohm out the subs vc, and amps ground. Check voltage at the amp and bat. Check bat voltage at idle and off.

Bronze Member
Username: Somedonniedude

Post Number: 59
It could be a voltage problem. Im my old car my rockford amp got hot and i fried it and smoke came out. even my kenwood got hot in that car but it never fried, just protect mode, but in my new car never had a problem with either. My old car has a 65 amp alt with some cheap 5 ga. wiring, new car has 11o amp alt and bought some descent 4 ga. What kind of car do you have and what all you got for electrical?

Silver Member
Username: Explictx

Glen Burnie, Maryland USA

Post Number: 248
Try using a different ground spot. im not too sure whats wrong.

Silver Member

Quakertown, PA USA

Post Number: 551
so none of u think its the actully amp then because it gets extremley hot and makes teh subs sound ugly. And i have a 90A alternator and im using 2 Gauge wire for everything

Gold Member

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 2666
Redo /check ground. Also, what vc are the l7s?
Ohm out the subs vc, and amps ground. Check voltage at the amp and bat. Check bat voltage at idle and off.

It may be the amp. But you need to see if its in spec as far as power/ohm/ground goes. If they are all good then its probly the amp.
90 amps is realy pushing it for a 1500

Bronze Member
Username: Tejcurrent

Post Number: 72
I'd check to see if one of your subs is out of phase. I'd make sure the +s and -s on the subs are wired up right. That would be the first thing I'd check if it's not that loud, because even a severe voltage dip wouldn't make it sound that bad right off.

Then check to make sure you've cleaned up the ground connection really well, and that nothing is cutting into your power wire shorting it out. If that doesn't help, then try swapping out another amp to see if it works, and if not then you know it's wiring related.

Like I said, if you're too lazy to remove the subs from the enclosure, use a dmm to check the ohm load. on each individual one.

Silver Member

Quakertown, PA USA

Post Number: 552
i removed the subs yesterday and today and they are Dual 2 ohm and i have them wired at 2ohm load. I guess i can try to find another ground spot to see if that helps but who knows

Gold Member

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 2668
Wired like this?

http://www.crutchfield.com/learningcenter/car/subwoofers_wiring.html?suboptions= Mono%5F2%2D2ohm%2DDVC&amptype=mono

Silver Member

Quakertown, PA USA

Post Number: 553
its wired like this dual 2 ohm down to 2ohm load http://www.the12volt.com/caraudio/woofer_configurations.asp?Q=2&I=22

Gold Member
Username: Hdubb

Team Revolution

Post Number: 2345
it might be the amp i had one refurbed and it fcked up my brahma. just wasnt right after the refurb. is there a warranty on the amp still?

Silver Member

Quakertown, PA USA

Post Number: 554
i dont think so im about to test my friends zx1000.1 on my subs to see how that sounds so if that pushes my subs good then i know its the amp but if it does the same thing as my zx1500.1 then its prob the ground or sumthing

Silver Member

Quakertown, PA USA

Post Number: 555
I found out it was the amp the whole time i knew i shouldn't have trusted refurbished i know it was the amp cuz i used my friends zx1000.1 and it powered the subs pretty nicley
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us