Too little wattage for speakers?

Username: Snookumsthacat

Cincinnati, Ohio USA

Post Number: 1
I have a power accoustic amplifier that rates:
40 x 4 @ 4 ohms
50 x 4 @ 2 ohms

I was trying to find some 3.5" speakers to use with this amplifier for my headrest speakers in my miata. I ended up finding some audiobahn AS31V speakers that are rated:

60 watts rms @ 4 ohms
120 watts max @ 4 ohms

I wasn't sure if i should get these or not. I didnt know if the amplifier would damage them or if it would just be poor sound quality because of the differences in rms power ratings for them.

Does anyone have any ideas for 3.5" speakers to go with this particular amplifier? Or would these speakers be ok for this amplifier?

Thanks!

Silver Member
Username: Warlok

Orlando, FL USA

Post Number: 349
The speakers and amp will be fine together. Dont expect peak performance, but there just 3.5's, so Im sure you will live. But you can run speakers under rated RMS, it wont hurt them. Just dont try to run a high power sub off of it (lol) and you will be fine. If your woried about power, try bridging to 4 ohms, or running them at 2 ohms, but make sure your amp can handle that configureation. But IMO , you should be fine as is. Anyone else care to 2nd that ?

Bronze Member
Username: Circa09skater

Post Number: 29
2nd

Silver Member
Username: Believe

Illinois

Post Number: 194
theres not enough power with that amp to get any beefy midrange out of the 3.5inch speakers

the speakers will sound too bright and youll clip the amp trying to get any dynamics out of the cone

Silver Member
Username: Riebread77

Post Number: 727
infinity 3.5" i believe are 50 or 55 watts rms or so

Username: Snookumsthacat

Cincinnati, Ohio USA

Post Number: 4
No, the infinities are what i wanted but they were a big dissapointment the reference series are 25 rms @ 4 ohms and the kappas are 35 rms @ 2 ohms. I just cant beleive there aren't any good 3.5" speakers for this amp to match with.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us