Sony Xplode

Hi, I got a good deal on a pair of "600W" 4 way sony xplode 6x9's. I don't have an amp yet although I am planning to get one in the near future. I have never heard of 600W speakers that sells for so cheap. Shall I trust sony and buy them? I already have 2 16cm Pioneers rated at 150W

Anonymous
sony 6x9's are decent speakers and if you can get them for a good price they are worth it. so if they are cheap buy them there worth it.

no, do not trust sony, sony is almost as bad as pyramid and legacy for car audio. for personal and home audio, sony is great, but for car audio, sony is all looks and no performance, they are crap.

if you want more help on a better forum with more people that know what they are doing. check out
http://www.clubknowledge.com/car_audio_faq/forum

Tom
actually... legacy isnt bad for car audio, personally, I own 2 legacy amps, two pioneer amps, and two sony amps (one set for each of my cars). my legacy system sounds BETTER than the pioneer, and the sony sounds better than the legacy. granted, Derek mentions that Sony is all looks and no performance - he is crap - I've been using sony car products for years... I get better performance AND style than pioneer. evidently someone doesnt know what they're talking about... and it's not me. i agree though - pyramid does suck. three amps i bought that were pyramid burned out within a week... and I'm an electrical engineer.. the things were overrated... and crap. :-D have fun

Anonymous
I JUST BOUGHT A SONY XPLODE STEREO IT RULES YOU CAN DO SO MUCH WITH IT. YOU CAN NAME RADIO STATIONS,CDS, AND MUCH MORE!!!!!!!!!!! THIS IS THE ONLY STEREO SYSTEM I'LL EVER BUY SONY XPLODE

I bought 2 12" Sony Xplode subs and a 1000w Sony Xplode amp. At 1st i was happy(sorta)! For 1000w it should've been hurting my head..considering each of the subs(claims) it can hold up to 900w! Well....for the price though i was happy! Five months after i bought them, 1 of the 12's broke down. The wire came loose from the voice coil! So i decided to bridge my amp and run the other 12" sub. That lasted 1 week before the amp started overloading and cutting itself off when you turned the stereo up to anywhere near "THUMP" level! I took it to the local installer and dealership(a good friend) and had him check it out..it was without a doubt, the amp. I decided to borrow an amp from a friend to power the other sub that still worked fine. I hook the subwoofer up and it now sounds like it's busted. Now, considering it's not had any more than 400w going to it from both amps, and it can handle 900w max(supposedly)......i would have to say that all 3 pieces of Sony Xplode gear i bought was crap..luckily it's still under warranty so they can send me some more crap to install in my truck! I would much rather just have my money back so i can buy some "REAL" car audio equipment from somewhere else...my advice is go with Rockford Fosgate...i never had any problems with them and the performance is awesome...well worth the cost!!!!!

metalvaio
So far I think Sony and Sony Xplode products are great.They make great speakers and cd-recievers.But not so hot amps though.But in the end Sony makes great products at a good price.

Anonymous
I had a Sony Xplode amp pushing 2 12" Vega's and it sounded great until the amp burnt. It was under warranty so they fixed it(yeah right) and well it burnt up again about 3 months after I got it back and they fixed it again. Thank god someone finally broke in my car and stole it........ I have never been so happy to get rid of something...

all I have to say to this whole post is CRAP...First off if you go out and buy an amp don't buy it for its max power buy it for its RMS power the max power on the box is just to catch your eye they want all the rookies to see that and BOOM sold..After you find out the RMS find out all the specs for instance say the max power is 700 watts and the rms power is (250 watts rms @ 12 volts bridged into 4 ohms) or (400 watts rms @ 14 volts bridged into 2 ohms) after you get all that info and are satisfied start looking at subs you want a sub that has an RMS rating (not a MAX power rating) that is somewhat close to the amps RMS power BUT wait you still have research to do you also need to know what ohms the subs are rated at if its a 4 ohm single voice coil sub your amp will run and 4 ohms bridged if its a dual voice coil sub and you wire it in series your 4 ohm sub will drop your ohms to 2 ohms creating more power and DEEPER bass..and another thing a sub is still going to be CRAP regardless of what make it is if you don't build or have built the proper enclosure for it...with this knowledge you should be able to make the worst brand of car audio sound like the big boy brands..I have an alpine deck, mb quart components up front, alpine 6x9's in the rear, 2 sony xplode 12's, 2 alpine t-407 amps each 1 pushes a sub, and a alpine mrp 4 channel amd pushing the mids and highs my sub amps are rated at about 200 watts RMS and the subs are 350 watts RMS and the subs called for 1 cubic feet of sealed space each..all i have to say is BOOM BOOM..you can hear me a mile away......see my setup at http://members.cox.net/tye28

j martin
Unregistered guest
i have 2 sony xplode p5 ten inch subs and they perform great. There deeper and clearer than any other 10's i've ever heard. I also own a sony 1000watt class d amp. Its a great amp and makes the subs pound very hard. Though my subs sound great the other older sony subs are crap. But the new p5 subs give nothing short of great performance. And the amp is the best ive ever had

Username: Glasswolf

Post Number: 474
If you think Sony is great, you've apparently had it less than a year so it hasn't taken a dump on you yet, or you've never heard anything better, which means you've never seen anything better than the crap they sell at circuit city or best buy.

Oh, one other thing.. the more you can hear an audio system outside of the car, the less you'll hear it INSIDE the car. If the car isn't well damped, you'll lose a lot of that energy you generate with the speakers and amps, by hearing everything well outside of the car. Hearing a system a mile away is a bad thing.
It also attracts thieves.

ThatGuyYouKnow
Unregistered guest
Ohhh Glasswolf its been awhile but i have a Q about installing a lv converter, ok i maybe pariniod but do i have to disconnect the battry b4 i start messing with the wires?
(Im 90% sure if it was hooked up, car not running i shouldnt be electrocuted, right?)

and once i hook up my Sony Xplod amp (1600w, like that matters) ill tell ya if its worth it, ill wire it to b 2*450w@2ohm's

2 12's
450w RMS per channel

and Tye has the most good advise look for high RMS, thats why ppl are killin thier amp (sum ppl are not so bright)

P.S. And pls resond to this soon Glasswolf

Post Number: 664
you should be fine hooking it up without pulling the battery terminal if you're not a total futz when you're working in a car :-)
The only time I usually pull the battery terminal is for an alarm or amp install.

Username: Zen936

Post Number: 4
I thought Sony had a good line of products. Unfortunately, it really is all looks. I wouldn't recommend any Sony Xplod (not Xplode) products. The newer HUs aren't that bad, but there are better out there. Sony to me, is quite commercial. Heck, they're probably just trying out the car audio line just for the heck of it! Kinda like Microsoft building computers?? If it doesn't work, on to the next project!

Now how often do you see a car entering any competition with Sony stuff? Oh and they overrate their products as well.

ThatGuyYouKnow
Unregistered guest
lol i hear that we need a new mircocrap version every year.... lol cant get it right the first time... but anyways i got my amp for DIRT CHEAP and i dint buy it so ill put up wit it and if my mom wants it lol she can have it.

and about battery terminals mine is so uh hard to get at and i cant even give sum1 a jump if i wanted too cuz the frame and coolent is covering it... well if u have a Monte Carlo u know my pain.

Username: Zen936

Post Number: 7
If I were Sony, I'd open up a forum where people can actually give ideas as well as complain about what they're doing wrong with their Xplod line. R&D. Find out what makes JL sound good... why Naks or Alpines or Clarions or Eclipse make better HUs, why Rockford makes good amps. That kinda thing. I mean cmon, this is SONY! They can do better!

Zero
Unregistered guest
I new at this and plan to hook up a system soon. I was just wondering what kind of subs to get, I was looking at sonys but after this forum I think not, I was also looking at rockford fosgates punch hx2's. Any opinionson the rockfords?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1415
the HX2 is an alright sub.
also look at elemental design and adire audio
www.edesignaudio.com
www.adireaudio.com

good alternatives in the same price range.

Bronze Member
Username: Tbone

Post Number: 15
Also, you can have the best equipment in the world, and still have a crappy sounding system if it is not installed correctly. Save some money for install, or have someone knowledgeable to help you.

Anonymous

Can anyone tell me the ACTUAL specs of the five sided 10 inch sony xplode subwoofer?????

if so please email me them at sephiroth9543@hotmail.com

Anonymous

Can anyone tell me the ACTUAL specs of the five sided 10 inch sony xplode subwoofer?????

if so please email me them at sephiroth9543@hotmail.com

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 1559
they suck balls. why bother?

Unregistered guest
Hey guys :-)

I'm just starting to very slowly get into car mods now that i finally have my own car that is half decent...*at least ittl be relatively easy to mod and is in good shape*

I've got a 98 dodge neon at a steal of a price...and just picked up a couple sony xplod 220w 6x9s...now i'm not going for top end performance, they look decent and they will doubtlessly sound better than the stock speakers...this is my first venture into buying some new speakers for any vehicle...i've got a kenwood deck i'm transfering from my old car *it's a half decent deck and i dont' have alot of money to spend on a new one, tho i'd love to*

I was just wondering if you guys *who obviously know a thing or two about car audio* would be able to give me a couple pointers so I don't get myself screwed over...and if you're going to simply sit here and flame sony, please remain seated and don't even bother replying to me...i'm not entering any contests, just wanting to make my car a little more pleasurable :P

I'll likely look at a body kit down the road, however i'll be doing work on the interior first...as far as the sound goes, any advice for a guy building his first project to have a half respectable system on a tight(ish) budget?

Silver Member
Username: Tbone

OK United States

Post Number: 149
Yeah, just helped my cousin out with a 2000. First, since you already have the sony's mounted them in the back with bass blockers installed. Install the lowest freq. ones you can get, that will allow the super low's to be filtered out, and should help the sony's last a while, since they will not be trying to reproduce the lows. While at it, when you can purchase a 6 1/2 mid level component set for the front, maybe under $150.00 and install the 6 1/2 in the door, will bolt to baffle, and the tweeter in the stock dast tweeter location, and as these have crossovers included that should take care of your highs. Now to the lows, you will have problems with that backdeck panel rattling, so I added had to figerglass extra support onto it in my cousins vehicle, the stock one is only held in with four tabs, which will eventually loosen up, leading to rattle. The truck has room for a small sealed box that will hold two twelves, and will fit right between the wheelwells, and end where the truck lid starts, which will look good.

Anonymous

Anyone who thinks they got a "steal" on Sony anything is an idiot. Listen to other brands, Infinity, JL, Focal, Boston, and you'll understand why everyone says Sony is crap. In the same price range, I'd go for Pioneer, Rockford, or Infinity. Infinity makes really good speakers, especially in their price range, and use a "trickle-down theory" almost anything that they have developed in high end systems you will see in an affordable price range down the road.

Bronze Member
Username: Spittin2rock

Post Number: 32
Don't waste your money on Sony amps and subs. Their head units are fairly reasonable. In fact the head units are pretty good for sound output not vs. other brands such as pioneer, alpine, etc.

Anonymous

"I was just wondering if you guys *who obviously know a thing or two about car audio* would be able to give me a couple pointers so I don't get myself screwed over...and if you're going to simply sit here and flame sony, please remain seated and don't even bother replying to me..."
Don't even bother replying to you? This is not YOUR thread, you hijacked someone elses. By the time people buy 4 sony speakers, they could have saved that money and gotten a decent component set and forgotten about rear speakers.

Username: 84capri

Vancouver, BC Canada

Post Number: 3
I am as leary as the next fellow about Sony but I just picked up a Sony CDX-3300 deck for $199 CDN. Now this may not sound super cheap, but considering this was the only thing under $300 that included sub out I think that what Sony may lack in perfection they do make up for in features. My last deck was a Sony & it held up quite well to the beatings it took for the year I had it. I would never touch a Sony amp or sub though...too many horror stories.

As for the original question, if by cheap you mean under $50 I would say go for them. Think of it this way, if you move on you can always sell them to someone else for the same price. Personally I have had good experience with cheap speakers. I had a pair of Pyramid all black, no logo :-) 6x9's in my Golf & they had very good mid range response...I upgraded to some Alpines for $140 & though the SQ was improved I lost the midrange. Also the Alpines would fade way sooner than the Pyramids. In the end I liked the Alpines better but were they worth the 450% mark up over the Pyramids...probably not for your average joe.

Personally I think it all depends on the vehicle it's going in. If you have an older vehicle with a high dB of ambient noise at speed, why spend tons of cash on high quality gear when much of the Q will be cancelled out anyways? On the same note, if you're driving a new Lexus or even a new Camry...don't chince out on low end gear since you will be able to hear the loss of Q.

Silver Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 142
Don't knock old cars. I have a 1969 Cougar XR-7 convertible, and have Focals in custom kicks and Eclipse Titanium subs in the back. Any car can sound good with proper tuning and imaging. The good thing about old cars is that they're much roomier and thus have less things for the sound to bounce off of (such as consoles, huge dashes, etc.) and have a lot more room for kick panels. The kick panels also are generally further away from you than in new cars, providing better imaging. Replacing weatherstripping, adding Dynamat, and quiet mufflers :-) are the secret. No, I'm not saying older cars are as quiet as a Lexus or Camry, but they can sound really good.

Username: 84capri

Vancouver, BC Canada

Post Number: 4
I'm certainly not knocking older cars, simply noting the fact that older vehicles generally have a higher interior dB of noise than newer vehicles. I drive an 84 Capri & love her to death, & my system sounds really crisp with no rattles despite zero dynomat, but I would be fooling myself if I thought the ambient noise was comparable to a newer vehicle.

DS
Unregistered guest
I was looking at getting a pair of Sonys 10 inch pentagon subs, but after reading this I am starting to doubt the decision. Does anyone know of a better set to get for the same price?

Silver Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 215
How much were you going to pay for them?

DS
Unregistered guest
They are 100 each but I think im going to pick up two elemental design kv2 10" subs instead for 80 each. WOuld you suggest 2 ohm or 4?

Anonymous

DS why not pick up 2 10inch Kicker CVRs for 79.00 bucks a piece. If you do then they are DVC subs so get the 2ohm version. here is the site to get them for 79.00.

www.acaraudio.com

DS
Unregistered guest
Are those Canadian or American prices on the site you listed?

Anonymous

American.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us