6.5 comps: Cerwin, Boston, CDT, Diamond, or Focal?

Username: Jjohan35

Post Number: 5
Hi folks,

I'm in the market to replace my stock speakers in my new car. I'm wondering if anybody can describe the characteristics of these speakers and if any preference among them. They're all within my $200 budget for a pair of 6.5 components for the fronts.

Cerwin Vega VEGA2650
Boston Acoustics SX60
CDT Audio EF-61CF
Diamond Audio D661a
Focal 165-V1

On a side note, I thought CDTs were well-regarded. How come I found this pair for $100? CDT Audio CL-S60A

Post Number: 6
I should note that I'm going to power these with Phoenix Gold amp, each channel 75 RMS.

Username: Tblazer74

South Salem, NY USA

Post Number: 1
I like the Boston ones, personally. But I would look for a pair of Polk's like the db6500's or something, which I'm running at 100 wrms. Your choice though.

Post Number: 10
Sorry I don't like Polks. Heard them all. They can get decently loud but SQ just doesn't cut it for me.

Gold Member
Username: Jkidder

Spring hill, Florida Usa

Post Number: 1100
focal

Gold Member
Username: Alteraudiousa

Concord

Post Number: 1569
i am having a really awesome sale this month on the CL series doing a package to include front components, rear coax and sub. PM me for prices.
I would not go for the CL-60 set, just for for the CL-61 or 62. The latter sets have better tweeters and crossovers used.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
What does it mean when there's an A after the model name, ie CL-61A?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
And where does EF (EuroFit) fall? According to CDTaudio (which is a poorly designed website), the basic line is CL, middle line is HD, and higher line is ES (EuroSport). What is EF?? Thanks for any replies.

Gold Member
Username: Alteraudiousa

Concord

Post Number: 1570
A means its has an aluminum tweeter. As far as the EF series, its now part of the CL series. IMo wasn't a world of difference from the CL series and price was close to the same. It is now part of the CL series and can be had as an upgrade option. Email me from here and we can talk more in depth and also I can tell you of specials I am having.

Username: Djb0501

Post Number: 10
I'm running Focal speakers in my car right now and I love them. They're crisp and clear even at very high volumes; they just sound great. I'd recommend the 165v1s with the SX60s coming in at a not-so-close second. Are you planning on running them off an amp or hooking them up to the head unit?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
whoops, just saw that you plan to run it off a phoenix gold amp.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 29
How is the midbass on those focals? And do you know what material is the tweeter made of? I'm not a particular fan of metal tweeters. They sound a bit too bright for me.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 18
The midbass is great on my speakers. To answer your question, the tweeters are aluminum so if you're not a big fan of metal tweeters the focals probably aren't for you. On that note, i'd recommend looking at the JL TR650's (CSI's, not CX's). Also great sound quality, don't distort, and really good lows, highs and mids.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us