Not a Kicker fan

Bronze Member
Username: Sqlspl

Derby, CT

Post Number: 25
I understand if some are loyal to kicker but I believe they pound too much. I am not a real fan of heart-attack causing bass I guess. I am all about moderate SPL with loads of Sound Quality. I guess they are mostly for competition anyway hence their Comp series line. My buddy Mike has some CompVR's in his Tiburon and enjoyed his JBL GTO's better. We have the subs as well as the car set to excellent parameters to gain the perfect combonation, but the loudness always drowns out the Treble and he has some wonderful Kicker 4channel powered Morel speakers. I have heard a solobaric and was much more impressed with the MTX thunder series in comparison.

Silver Member
Username: Tatonka

Post Number: 566
Kicker and heart attack causing bass!? When!? Where!?

Bronze Member

Derby, CT

Post Number: 26
Listen man when you have the right amp and the right conditions. You can make some things pound. We will not sit here and pretend that Kicker a competition subwoofer vrabd does not produce some crippling Sound Pressure Levels.

Silver Member

Post Number: 567
The only "crippling sound pressure levels" a kicker sub will put out is when it explodes, even in a good install.

Bronze Member

Derby, CT

Post Number: 29
Okay I installed into a Volkswagen R32 two kicker L7's into a full fiberglass enclosure system. My buddy Nick is the glass man and my buddy Steve is the owner. When we sat in this car after putting all the interior back in it was like getting a grenade blown up in front of me. My buddy Mike with the Tiburon has a ported box with the VR's in a 97 Tiburon trunk that is sealed like a bank vault. Man I am telling you. The SPL is astounding.

Silver Member
Username: Mendonmafia

USA

Post Number: 304
ive seen videos of 2 L7's hitting 149

Silver Member

Post Number: 568
L7s have horrible build quality. They may get loud, but they will not last long unless you get lucky.

Bronze Member

Derby, CT

Post Number: 31
Listen I like loud at competitions, but inside my daily driver I like sound quality with adequate bump.

Bronze Member
Username: Visitor

Middleofnowhere, Minnesota USA

Post Number: 30
no- YOU listen. you don't like kickers- don't get them. simple as that. also- there is such thing as sub control on the head unit. turn it down. kickers do not have excellent sq. not a one of em. there are MANY subs outside of kicker to choose from, please feel free to get something else. but excluding kickers from you list because they are too loud is just silly. (i would exclude them from the list because in general, they suck...)

Silver Member

Post Number: 569
Well put visitor.

Silver Member
Username: Thumpinwith8s

2 RE8s, 300 watt Jense..., 133.3db@49hz!!

Post Number: 398
RE8s ftw!!

Silver Member

Post Number: 570
KEEKER SUBS FTL!

Gold Member
Username: The_image_dynamic

San Diego

Post Number: 2373
Keeker sucks ass

Gold Member

San Diego

Post Number: 2374
RE8's too, Wolfman sucks ass

Silver Member
Username: Spivey17323

Dunellen, New jersey United states

Post Number: 219
alpine type r ftw!

Gold Member
Username: Extrmndor3

IF U HEAR ME... crazydbs.com

Post Number: 6130
alpine type r ftw!

Bronze Member

Derby, CT

Post Number: 50
The New Alpine Type R sucks. Not impressed at all. Just my opinion no bearing on yours. As for you cretins and my reference to kicker. I am just asking if any of you feel the same way I do. Obviously not. Some of you guys too easily put yourself on the sound pedestal and when someone merely states their opinion you dive on them like vultures so you can pat yourself on the back and say "wow look at that moron" just because he differed in opinion. I am not hear to fight anyone just ask if anyone believes Kicker is too loud. I work at Circuit City and used to work for Speed of Sound in Shelton,CT I know what loud is. I know you will have a comment about me working at Circuit City but we do amp our floor models correctly. I know that our packages are not always perfect, but what do you expect from a mainstream store. I have heard many things. You guys don't feel the same way that I do and I respect that, but don't give me crap about checking how others feel about it. This is a forum. That is what it is about. All you guys had to say is I don't believe they are loud and I would tell you why I think they are loud and you can say well I just don't agree rather I get this
"no- YOU listen. you don't like kickers- don't get them. simple as that. also- there is such thing as sub control on the head unit. turn it down. kickers do not have excellent sq. not a one of em. there are MANY subs outside of kicker to choose from, please feel free to get something else. but excluding kickers from you list because they are too loud is just silly. (i would exclude them from the list because in general, they suck...)"
from some random visitor. I know how to adjust my stereo, I would not write anything if I did not.

Platinum Member
Username: Bestmankind

SQ = SoundSplinter RL-s

Post Number: 14262
robert aren't you kinda contradicting yourself about if you don't like something don't express your feelings?

Bronze Member

Derby, CT

Post Number: 52
Not in that regard. I don't loathe everything Kicker makes. I do like their older Comp series. I am referencing the old comp series of course. I also think they are a fine representative for SPL subs that is just my opinion. I am not telling someone who is loyal to kicker to stay away from that brand because it sucks. I am am just asking if anybody feels the same way. I did not make fun of anyone nor did I try to sway people away from what they like. That is what I was talking about before.

Bronze Member

Derby, CT

Post Number: 53
Not to mention I started this thread. I did not post it on someone else's claiming that they are too loud and they suck. I put it quite eloquently and too some I would be commending Kicker for being loud. I am just a SQL guy and wanted to see if others would agree. I am not going to unite against those who like SPL or tell them that they are stupid for being so.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 32
Random visitor? um.. that is my screen name.. if you can not figure that one out, i have my doubts as to whether or not you can tune a stereo...

Bronze Member

Derby, CT

Post Number: 55
Listen man I did not know what your name was. When I see visitor I just think visitor. I am not going to argue with you, there is no point. Say what you want about me, I don't care. I know what I can do just as you what you can do. I am not here to challenge anyone to a face off. I just want some information while having some fun with you knowledgeable people. There is no need for your any attitude.

Silver Member

Post Number: 571
" I work at Circuit City and used to work for Speed of Sound in Shelton,CT I know what loud is."

Im crying from laughing so hard lmao :-)

Bronze Member

Derby, CT

Post Number: 57
I knew you would poke fun at that. Why do I bother with you guys? I have fun at my job and that is great. I don't sit around making fun of those who have not heard all and don't know everything there is to know. I enjoy my job and I have been working with guys who have been doing installs for 15 years or more. I have learned a lot from them. I know that means nothing to you guys anyway why do I try I can't take you down from your superiority.

Silver Member

Post Number: 572
i wasnt "poking fun at you". I was simply laughing at the fact that you cant really actully know what loud is when you do installs at ciruit city. Have you ever been in a van that does 160+ burps?

Bronze Member

Derby, CT

Post Number: 60
I have witnessed a van with enough sound pressure level to make a phonebook rip apart. I do attend competitions bi-monthly.

Gold Member
Username: 04redmach1

Columbus, GA USA

Post Number: 1083
Soooooooo, what is the loudest setup you have heard?

Kevin

Gold Member

Post Number: 6186
hes jelous cuz hes nto loud ;)

Gold Member
Username: Tremor1127

Team Fi Car Audio [:-]

Post Number: 1922
"Soooooooo, what is the loudest setup you have heard?"

x17

Silver Member
Username: Winterfreshpimp

Chisago, MN America

Post Number: 528
i honestly have never had a problem with kickers "build quality" ive never seen or actuall heard of one falling apart unitil i came to this forum... but who knows maybe they do

Gold Member

Post Number: 1924
Maxx, they seriously do.

examine the suspension of an l7 and then examine the suspension of ANY Fi/DD/Re/etc then tell me which you would really want to give 1000 watts...

Gold Member

Post Number: 6200
the suspension of a kicker is very stiff and kind of cool if u ask me the problem is their weak square design the butyl rubber sorround and the ofcorse weak voice coils

Gold Member

Post Number: 1925
they are good for car audio shops and best buys/circuit city because they can just line you up with a small amp that will probably never pop them and your good to go.

for the DIYers who want to crank lots of juice through subs you really dont want kicker to be the sub of choice.

and i compared those subs to the l7 because if it cant handle it, comps wont either. but l7s square design is their main weak spot...

Gold Member

Post Number: 1926
very stiff?

compared to what? your octanes?

dude, were talking about real subs here lilrob...

Gold Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

Post Number:...

Post Number: 3693
Tremor can you enlighten me what is bad about the square design?I'd like to hear what you know about it all.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1929
haha, dont start with me rob. i didnt do anything to you.

i have always just "heard" that the design was poor. i have blown 4 of the first year L7s though.

two of them the suspension failed (i hate those crappy yellow spiders!) and the other two failed due to voice coils being burnt up.

like i said before, part of it could have been something i did but they just didnt seem to last like stuff i had even owned before that. and espcially the stuff i own now... :-)

Gold Member

Post Number: 6201
Rob the square design has the corners or in other words weak spots that make the voice coil not to move really good try to use your mind and imagine how it will affect the coil because of the corners... liek their surround makes the coil not to travel smooth like a circle sub also their coils are weak.. and the msot important they tend to have high bl force wich with higher power levels makes them go out of control and posibly blow like in most cases :-)

and tremor juzz because im rolling with pgs now that doesnt mean those are the only speakers i had lay my hands on so plz search the forum for subs i had if u want to know what sub i had before :-)

and tremor stop your b1tching plz

Gold Member

Post Number: 1930
i know you had an 18" re, how can we forget the picture...

and how can you compare kicker suspension to that...

and lilrob, ill stop my bitching when you learn to type UNLIKE you talk... :-)

stop buying car audio and move out of your parents house, too!

Gold Member

Post Number: 1931
with your scarface acting @ss...

Gold Member

Post Number: 6205
hahahah good comback you dumbazzz

search about my treo csx that i was trying to sell her or my dd 9917 that i wanted to sell here search the forum dude i dont mind :-) move out of my parents???? wow dude do you know that i live with my parents????

so i guess ur never gonna stop b1tching cuz i will never gonna learn how to type because of you...

Gold Member

Post Number: 1932
"thees amp, thees ees a gewd amp, thees ees the keeker amp"

Gold Member

Post Number: 6206
wowo my friend your so good at that as good as your dumb fu-cking azz

Gold Member

Post Number: 1936
i forgot we were competing at E-Thuggary. can i have some extended time to practice?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1937
"wowo my friend your so good at that as good as your dumb fu-cking azz"

im done anyways, i cant even understand what this is supposed to mean.

Gold Member

Post Number: 6207
dont care keep going :-)

Gold Member

Post Number: 1938
ok, gimme a sec.

Silver Member
Username: Yukhui

Myrtle Beach, South Carolina USA

Post Number: 524
Tremor, Rob... Chill out for a minute.. I think you guys scared off Robert Kowalski lol.

Gold Member
Username: Wingmanalive

A pic is worth 1000 posts!!

Post Number: 8524

Gold Member

Post Number: 1939
stop yelling at me!

Bronze Member

Derby, CT

Post Number: 71
Nah I had work fellas. Good arguments going on here. The Mach 5 Chassis is quite impressive.

Gold Member
Username: Hdubb

Farmington, Nm Usa

Post Number: 2298
im sorry rob i am also snickering at circuit city comment.

i wish they had comps here bimonthly. the L7 has had lots of problems. the coils frying the spiders ripping the cones busting the surround tearing. i dunno.

xtant hex subs>l7 lol jk

Username: Splfreak

Post Number: 1
myspace invite sent, robert.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1942
"David Allen Coe

Post Number: 1
Posted on Saturday, July 14, 2007 - 08:41 pm:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
myspace invite sent, robert."

can you say creepy?

Post Number: 2
yea but i can also say go f*ck yourself

Gold Member

Post Number: 1944
haha

Bronze Member

Post Number: 33
"Rob the square design has the corners or in other words weak spots that make the voice coil not to move really good try to use your mind and imagine how it will affect the coil because of the corners... liek their surround makes the coil not to travel smooth like a circle sub also their coils are weak.. and the msot important they tend to have high bl force wich with higher power levels makes them go out of control and posibly blow like in most cases"

wow... that is so VERY wrong. where to start?

1.The square design has 0 to do with how the coil moves. think of the coil/spider assembly as a piston. it does not care what it is attached to, round or square. all the coils job is to move up and down. it makes no difference what shape the cone is. The square design is not that great of a design, BUT not at all for the reasons you stated. (the main problem with em is the uneven stress points on the cone/surround. hence the odd little "shapes" on the cone. they are there for bracing.

2.You are horribly incorrect about the bl. the higher bl that you claim kickers have (which is not even true)- here is the bl rating for the original 15" l7 dual 2- BL: 18.2410 TM This is an average (if not slightly below average) rating. In all actuality- a higher bl/re2 rating is what you want to achieve (although you can over motor a speaker) as the higher bl will enable a smaller box, and will provide GREATER cone control (the opposite of what you said, actually) although with some higher bl drivers, ported box designs become very tricky, and very peaky. good for spl, bad for street!

I hope that cleared up some of the misunderstanding, and if i may- i suggest you take a good long look at http://www.bcae1.com/ before you post any more "technical" info/help?

Gold Member

Post Number: 6212
wow visitor.. chill out

well dude u say im incorrect???

1.the kicker solos are the most returning subs in our shop (ex shop) the coil is too weak also the stress points that are the cornes see the form they have??? once the coil move there are s tress points plus that extra cone area makes the coil work harder to push and pull the air.. you think the cone is not the problem??? well is not the ONLY problem is a SMALL problem if you own a store youll see customers with their solos for like a 1 year of use and most of them have ripped or have bad sorrouns in the corners WHY??? think abou tthen you call me out ;)

2.ok Mr. where u got the kicker have a Bl of 18.2410???? u juzz want to know where did you got that if u know a palce i can look and has that Bl let me know and i migthj change my mind :-)

"a higher bl/re2 rating is what you want to achieve (although you can over motor a speaker) as the higher bl will enable a smaller box, and will provide GREATER cone control (the opposite of what you said, actually) although with some higher bl drivers, ported box designs become very tricky, and very peaky. good for spl, bad for street! "

^^^^^^^^^^^^ thats what you wrote Mr. visitor as far i see you dont know the meaning of Bl... let me break it down to ya

Bl= electro magnetic force factor

AND

BL which is not the same as Bl= driver motor strength

OMG how the strength motor can actually be only thing to know if it will enable a smaller box and which THIS PART I THINK UR RIGHT that it will provide greater LINEAR CONTROL NOT CONE control.....

BL can vary depending on the power is given and what the rating of the BL IS....

If a woofer with x.xx bl force wtih a x suspensionand u give it x power it will work diferent than with y power also give a lil more power and if lets for example x Bl will be lower bl than y bl so if you give it 500 more rms the x bl will take it more smoothly by not going too much out of control in the linear movement than the sub with the y bl rating

AND you know what big companies use to know a sub can enable a smaller box or a bigger box Mr. visitor????

THATS CALLED EBP that is the efficiency bandwidth product wich you can get by dividing Fs/Qes and it will give you a small detail about IF the sub will work on ported or sealed woofers :-)

Gold Member

Post Number: 3712
"I hope that cleared up some of the misunderstanding, and if i may- i suggest you take a good long look at http://www.bcae1.com/ before you post any more "technical" info/help?"

I hope so too.I knew they were just spitting out bullsh1t that they couldn't really explain about the square design which is why I made my post of:

"Tremor can you enlighten me what is bad about the square design?I'd like to hear what you know about it all."

The biggest reason why people blow up their L5s and L7s is because they're noobs or they're competing and over-powering them.Responsible and mature users usually don't blow those subs up to my knowledge but the majority of the people buying the L5s and L7s are noobs and that is why they have such a bad reputation IMO.I will agree that every now and then you'll get a bad sub from Kicker but that's what I would expect considering the mass production of the woofers which causes quality control to lack a bit but not all L5s and L7s just blow for no reason.Be a responsible/mature user and have actual knowledge of how a system works and you'll more than likely be fine with a squared sub.

Gold Member

Post Number: 6213
and visitor knowing math doesnt mean your fully understand physics :-)

Gold Member

Post Number: 6214
welll yeha ROb has a point noob tent to blow their solos alot :-) the l7s is a sensitive sub

Bronze Member

Post Number: 34
jenny- i cant quite understand what you are saying (you type like a retarded 6 year old) but i will try to go through the points that i CAN decipher.
1.http://audioforum.termpro.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=33;t=000058;p=0 that is the full list of t/s parameters for the original l7 15 dual 2 (as i posted).

2. The coil DOES NOT CARE WHAT SHAPE THE CONE IS. the cone may be "heavier" of have more moving mass/resistance. yes. but to say that the coil knows what kind of cone is on it is ludicrous. whether the surround is a weak spot? i never said it wasn't. there is a reason more companies don't use it...

3. BL is defined as "Bl - The product of magnet strength and the length of wire in the magnetic field, in T·m (tesla·metres)." from wikipedia.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thiele/Small
not at all does it simply mean the strength of the motor. you again- prove you know NOTHING about the t/s parims.
BTW- BL on its own is not that important of a number. the BL/RE2 is far more important!

4. you also seem to forget (or just not know) that bl also changes as the coil moves in and out of the gap. and yes- you can certainly use bl as a general guideline as to box size. is it the only factor? not at all...i never claimed it was. also- i don't seem to comprehend how you think that a coil can stay linear, and not the cone? (seeing how they are attached and all)if the coil/spider rocks.. the cone is not going to stay linear.

you are trying to split hairs here, because you know you have no dog in this fight. If you really feel the need to respond (and i cant wait, believe me) PLEASE type to make it legible, so we can have a decent discussion, and not me responding, and you replying with broken English (btw- i don't know you- is this how you speak in real life?)

Gold Member

Post Number: 1947
maybe you guys are right, i had my square solos when i was around 18, 7 years ago.

but dont think your automatically right just because you think your right, i never overpowered, clipped, or abused them and one after another failed over a period of about a year.

now, all IM saying is ive been "gettin down on my 18" BLs for months now and probably clipped the crap out of them some with my epic-160 and they still look brand new, including the voice coils.

with that said, i try my hardest to not spread bad information. i really thought the square design was a weak spot for the subs.

either way, im still never buying another kicker subwoofer.

Gold Member

Post Number: 6216
yes depending on how the coil or cone moves the Bl will change thats for sure..

and man English is my second language bro

Bronze Member

Post Number: 35
alright- can we both drop it then? we both got good points across.....

Gold Member

Post Number: 6218
^^^ your right :-)

Gold Member

Post Number: 1950
keeker still sucks, though... :-)

Gold Member

Post Number: 3719
Wrong.Kicker makes subs,amps,wire etc.If you really think Kicker sucks you're an idiot and that's all there is to it.

Gold Member
Username: Basssquared

Kansas

Post Number: 1009
Rob point made end of thread

Gold Member
Username: Mygame5982

I Got More Watts Then ..., TEXAS US

Post Number: 2101
RAYMOND AND ROB GOT OWNED!!
lol = p
type rs FTW!!

Gold Member

Post Number: 3726
I'm not sure how I got owned but it's all good.James your G/f is gonna come over here and own me :-)

Silver Member
Username: Gh0st_31

FL USA

Post Number: 572
I would never buy a kicker sub. Id buy kicker wire and amps.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3727
I'd buy a Solo X and I did.In the Street classes Kicker subs always kick a ss.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1953
even if i really did think everything made by kicker sucked, it would be my opinion. and you thinking me being an idiot becuause of that would simply be your opinion, as well.

its all opinion, thats why i added that, along with the smiley face.

just like in my opinion, i agree with SGDenny.

ive owned and have experience with almost every kicker sub. with that said, i will stick with my BLs, for along time to come.

sure, if your competing, kicker is a very good choice, especially the solo x. but thats not really my cup of tea, i like my music to sound good. but again, thats just my opinion...

Silver Member

FL USA

Post Number: 574
I agree. Solo X's are loud but not my kind of style. No reliable enough for me.

Gold Member
Username: Mygame5982

I Got More Watts Then ..., TEXAS US

Post Number: 2102
ahhaha dont have a gf u azz!!
guess u gonna get owned by my boyfriend..
ahahahhahahahahahhaahah U QUEEERR!! lol

Gold Member
Username: Bernymac

BME

Post Number: 3141
^oh really james....

Gold Member

San Diego

Post Number: 2389
LMFAO James you just pwned yourself

Gold Member
Username: Basssquared

Kansas

Post Number: 1018
that nigga got PWNED

Gold Member
Username: Bernymac

BME

Post Number: 3142
he pwned himself to the MAX!

Gold Member

Post Number: 1964
"I agree. Solo X's are loud but not my kind of style. No reliable enough for me."

x39

Gold Member

Post Number: 3732
""I agree. Solo X's are loud but not my kind of style. No reliable enough for me."

x39"

I bet neither of you have even owned a Solo X to know their limits and how reliable they are with rated power.Guys run 10k to those Solo Xs and then they blow apart.After feeding the subs above 5k RMS the cone used to blow apart which is no longer a problem with the 2007 model cone which is reinforced to handle quite a bit more power.Anyhow, feed double the RMS rating of your sub and tell me how long it lasts.

Silver Member

FL USA

Post Number: 576
"1.the kicker solos are the most returning subs in our shop" - lilrob

I had an l5 and a l7. both blew on rms power. Apperantly tremor had the same problem. No I did not have a solo x, but im talking about kickers subwoofer quality as a whole.

Theyre loud, but thats about it.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1969
wow Rob, im not trying to win the E-Argument of the century.

if i wanted i could say ive owned all sorts of solo Xs popped them off just head units or whatever.

who cares what i have to say, i could comeback with something everytime you respond. but whats the point. you obviously like kicker subs for your reasons and i obviously hate kicker subs for my reasons.

"Anyhow, feed double the RMS rating of your sub and tell me how long it lasts."

who cares, what if i gave you an email 17 years down the road and said "my BLs have been taking 2000 watts for the past 17 years"

its the internet, people are going to disagree, we all know this, YOU should know of all people, seems like something pisses you off ever thread.

either way, i dont like conversations when the other parties are hot for whatever reasons so i will keep my opinions out of this pirticular thread.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3757
Alright guys.You're right.Kicker subs are terrible :-)Except for when you wanna be loud just as stated and they blow up.Matter of fact I recone my solo X every other week.But it's still loud!

Gold Member

Post Number: 1971
i cant really tell if your being sarcastic or not (its sometimes really that hard with you) :-)

but i dont really think their subs are terrible.

i did go through four l7s in what was a pretty bitchin ride, even though it was a neon. there were 3 sealed in the trunk, 1 popped and i replaced it and then 1 by 1 the other 3 deteriorated and i gave up. i was very discouraged at that time. at the same time every amp was a kicker amp, those amps helped murder eardrums and are probably still out there somewhere because they are good amps.

my first real amp was a zr1000. about 7 years ago. its still my favorite amp of all time for some weird reason...

Gold Member

Post Number: 1972
im pretty baked i guess, it seems very sarcastic after reading it again... :-(

Bronze Member
Username: Somedonniedude

Post Number: 55
Just wondering... is there a difference between the 2005 and 2007 CompVR's? I was gonna try a set of 12 inchers becouse sonic electronix has a sale buy 1 get one free on all 07 cvrs (12" $150 pair/shipped).
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us