Fuses

Silver Member
Username: Fearthisskyy

Dallas, Texas United states

Post Number: 288
what fuses would I need for a DLS A6 (130amps) JL 450/4 (60A)?

Do I use a fuse rated higher or lower than the amps fuses?

Gold Member
Username: Trey4sports

Post Number: 1471
should do the same as amp ratings

Silver Member

Post Number: 289
Alright I thought I read somewhere that the distribution block fuses were suppose to be less or more than each amp's fuses so that the fuses would blow before the amps fuses do... but maybe I am wrong

Silver Member

Post Number: 290
I read more they said it's based on the size of the wire more than current draw from the amp, but they all go hand-in-hand.

Do ya'll think this will work...

1/0awg from +12v to 200A inline fuse, then 1/0awg to the fused distribution block in the trunk, which splits into two 4awg outputs w/ 130A fuse for the DLS A6 (140A) and 60A fuse for the JL (60A).

Username: Pimpintel

WARRENSBURG, MO US

Post Number: 1
were is a good website to get a distribution fuse block

Silver Member
Username: Tatonka

Post Number: 561
Fuse size is based on WIRE size. For 1/0 wire, run 200-250 amp fuse. That will get the most out of your wire.

Silver Member
Username: Kicker101

Alberta

Post Number: 162
so if my amp has (2) 80 amp fuses and i go with a 1/0 guage power wire, and the distribution block has a 250 amp fuse... do i have to get higher amp fuses for my amp??? .....confused

Silver Member

Alberta

Post Number: 166
sorry but i gotta bump....

Silver Member

Post Number: 563
"do i have to get higher amp fuses for my amp??? .....confused"

Here is how it works:
Your Amp has fuses on it to protect the amp itself. Your wire has a fuse on it to protect the wire from carrying too much current and could cause your battery to explode. To answer your question, No, you do not update the fuses on your amp.

Silver Member

Alberta

Post Number: 168
so (2) 80 amp fuses(160 together) on my amp will go fine with a 250 amp fuse on my dist. block along with a 1/0 guage power wire.... because the amp will shut off long before the 250 amp fuse will blow right??

Silver Member

Post Number: 564
Correct.

Silver Member

Alberta

Post Number: 169
so why do people do the same as the amp.. for ex amp= 160 amps dist block= 160 amps? ......by the way i really appretiate your help..thanks bud.

Silver Member

Post Number: 565
Because this is a very common mistake with people. Mathcing your amp sizes isn't a "bad" thing to do, but you are not getting the most out of your wire. What is the point of getting wire than can easily handle 200 amps and only putting a 160 amp fuse on it? Adding a bigger fuse allows for more stuff to be added to it in the future.

And no problem man, im glad I could help.

Silver Member

Alberta

Post Number: 175
......or say if i have a 300 amp fuse on the dist block. wont that and the 1/0 guage wire draw too much current and constanley cause the Amplifiers (2) 80 amp fuses to blow?

Silver Member

Post Number: 585
Wire does not "draw current". It only is transportation for it. Your amp is what will draw and use the current it needs only.

Gold Member
Username: Johnfiac

A-ToWn, 9515 thumpin... What u bumpin?

Post Number: 3345
the fuse being bigger then needed wont give you more power causing other fuses to blow, the amps are what tells it how much power to pull, just run a 200A under the hood and in the rear where the spliter is use the closest fuse size you can find for each split, one 130A fuse or closest, and 1 60amp fuse or closest. Also, you dont want to go to much higher, more of lower then the rating if you have to, most fuses still handle more power then they are rated but not by to much, and as long as your amp isnt constantly pulling that amount of power, you wont have any problems, amps do different amounts of power at diff. frequencies.

John kicker, they 2 80amp fuses wouldnt blow still unless you have a problem, really you dont need fuses but they are there to protect your equiptment incase of a surge or short. Ive ran plenty of amps without fuses straight from the battery in the rear without any problems. One other thing i also do, i put a fuse under the hood and one on the other end of the wire run before it connects to the battery this way if anything happens like a car accident or anything and it slices the wire or anything.... fuses pop and hopfully save my equiptment

Silver Member

Alberta

Post Number: 176
yeah that makes sense. so i should have no problem with this setup... 1/0 guage wire, 300 amp fuse on distubution block, and my hifonics bxi1606d with (2) 80 amp fuses?

Gold Member
Username: Johnfiac

A-ToWn, 9515 thumpin... What u bumpin?

Post Number: 3352
ya that works but i would drop it down to a 200A fuse or 150A since you only need 160A, are the 80A's in the amp or inline fuse's?

Silver Member

Alberta

Post Number: 177
yeah they're on the amp, the only reason i am wondering if it works is beacause the wiring kit i want to get comes with a 300 amp dist block fuse

Silver Member

Alberta

Post Number: 179
bumpin
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us